Will NIL lead to players staying longer in CFB

27rings

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
With the way NFL Rookie contracts are structured and paid out over the first 4 years, a player like Bryce Young would make more money his senior season at Bama than he would his rookie year in the NFL. Will be interesting to see if a player(s) begin to choose to stay for their senior season for financial reasons; and especially if they don't like where they are projected in the draft or a team that is projected to draft them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For a few, perhaps like Young as you mention, it might make a difference. But I think only for a very few, and at very few programs.

Everyone is talking about all the millionaire and billionaire boosters but I just don't think the amount of actual money is there. Nothing like NFL contracts.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it would also depend on what type of team would be returning for the player who is considering staying his senior year. Money means a lot and all but if you've got a lot of top-level, experienced talent leaving and being replaced by a lot of inexperienced players. That may sway a player like Young to just go ahead and enter the draft.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For stars they'll still go after year 3 assuming we are talking about round 1 draft picks. You mention Young. He may be a top 5 pick next year. No way he stays and gets the same money as a top 5 pick could pay him.

The real winners will probably be the journeymen who finally develop after 3 or 4 years (4th or 5th with a redshirt). We don't have as many players that fall into this category because we have such great recruiting talent coming in every year, but these type of players will hopefully benefit from this in other programs where they stay and develop.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Or, when this is a minor league for the NFL and there are no age/eligibility restrictions, does a good college player with not a lot of NFL potential stay for 10 years?

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
With the way NFL Rookie contracts are structured and paid out over the first 4 years, a player like Bryce Young would make more money his senior season at Bama than he would his rookie year in the NFL. Will be interesting to see if a player(s) begin to choose to stay for their senior season for financial reasons; and especially if they don't like where they are projected in the draft or a team that is projected to draft them.
A capital big NO. For a guy like bryce, his first three years at bama he will make plenty. In the NFL, it's all about getting to the 2nd contract, where the big bucks are. The sooner you start the clock, the sooner the really big payoff comes, plus remember that senior year there could be a tough injury. Of course there is no way to tell what kind of QB bryce will be in the league, but look at what mediocre QB's are making, curt cousins is scamming 25 mill a year as we speak.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Isn't the national player of the year in basketball returning to Kentucky for his sophomore season? Kentucky basketball probably pays more than most schools but this would seem to validate the OP's point.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Isn't the national player of the year in basketball returning to Kentucky for his sophomore season? Kentucky basketball probably pays more than most schools but this would seem to validate the OP's point.
not quite, we don't know the particular situation with this young man, and the money these guys are getting? i'm not buying it. in the future will know what is really going on now. Plus anecdotal evidence does not a point make. Big difference between the oblong and round ball.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
That makes good sense but I believe it will just make most players 3 year tour more comfortable.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
That makes good sense but I believe it will just make most players 3 year tour more comfortable.

Not disagreeing with anyone but doesn't the top pick as well as the next two-three get over 15 million guaranteed and isn't it up front? I'm talking about Bryce and other top picks. Do nils match that?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That’s crazy. Maybe for a special circumstances few , but most should enter the draft to get one year closer to a second contract and the big money. It will help those that are not projected as early round picks, but those guys won’t be signing huge NIL deals either.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Or, when this is a minor league for the NFL and there are no age/eligibility restrictions, does a good college player with not a lot of NFL potential stay for 10 years?
I'm wondering where this is coming from?

I haven't heard anything about changing eligibility rules beyond the current 5 years to play 4 (with the possibility of an additional medical redshirt).

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I'm wondering where this is coming from?

I haven't heard anything about changing eligibility rules beyond the current 5 years to play 4 (with the possibility of an additional medical redshirt).
Well just speculation at this point, but it is not that far-fetched. If we really get a breakaway league they could make whatever rules they want. It may be a minor league and they aren't even students anymore. A good college QB could stay for 8 years? He is still trying to make it to the NFL, team is winning and making money, player is signing NIL deals and making money. Everybody is happy?

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Back when one of the infamous Miami "Blades brothers" signed in the NFL, one smarmy (and correct) commentator recited the contract details and then said, "Wonder if that's less than he got in Miami last year?" And there was always the joke about how a guy was staying for his senior season "because he can't afford the NFL pay cut."

POSSIBLE? Yes.

PROBABLE? Depends on the player, the deal, and his parent/guardian/agent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.