Will NIL lead to players staying longer in CFB

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
With the way NFL Rookie contracts are structured and paid out over the first 4 years, a player like Bryce Young would make more money his senior season at Bama than he would his rookie year in the NFL. Will be interesting to see if a player(s) begin to choose to stay for their senior season for financial reasons; and especially if they don't like where they are projected in the draft or a team that is projected to draft them.
Since college football is essentially pro anyway they could have a hybrid contract between college and the NFL. The NFL contract (after the player is drafted) would bring forward the existing contract with added benefits.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
No, I don't think that would be incentive enough. Maybe in a handful of cases kids would stay on an elite team to try and win a National Championship but in most cases kids only want to play enough CFB to land them an NFL deal. There's also the risk of a serious injury playing an extra year of college football.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I’ll be glad when this season gets here. Cause I think bama has a good chance to win it all again this year. I understand it s a long offseason but it seems like the Nil jimbo vs saban stuff has overshadowed the actual 2022 season. I hope no one takes offence to what I am saying I get it’s a long offseason and there is only so much you can talk about. But I have a really good feeling about the 2022 team.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
no mention of Jimbo Fisher in that meeting , but the message was pretty clear.

. Day and Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith reportedly told the roughly 100 attendees that the school is competing with major programs that are directly paying recruits through name, image and likeness, putting the Buckeyes at risk of having key players plucked from their roster by other teams. Direct payments from universities aren’t technically allowed by the NCAA, but the rules are not being enforced, Smith said.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Maybe too simple of a way to look at it but they will be trading a multi year deal for a one year deal to stay. If they’re a 1st or 2nd round guy then they have to go and should.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Bryce will get an insane rookie deal plus millions in endorsements. Why stay?

The ones that stay are the tweeners. Drew Temme in hoops for example. Great college player. Won’t get drafted to NBA.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Not disagreeing with anyone but doesn't the top pick as well as the next two-three get over 15 million guaranteed and isn't it up front? I'm talking about Bryce and other top picks. Do nils match that?
Maybe A&M,UT,Longhorns? Still early in the game but I think kids will always leave. Some don’t want to be in school.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Are you guys on this board who are in the TAX business concerned about some kids getting in IRS trouble because of unpaid taxes? Hopefully they will have help in this area, but i think some kids are in for a rude awakening.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I hope the IRS gets involved. Contributions to these NIL collectives may not be tax deductible if they aren't "ordinary and necessary expenses" of a business venture. If I am the IRS I audit every NIL collective and their associated donors and recipients. They are literally the only body that can restore some sanity to the NIL market.

Are you guys on this board who are in the TAX business concerned about some kids getting in IRS trouble because of unpaid taxes? Hopefully they will have help in this area, but i think some kids are in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf and UAH

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
So what about it? It isn’t earth shattering
It's ok OSU fan, i understand. You took it as a shot but it was not meant to be. Coach Day was just being honest and transparent, something he did on several occasions 2 years ago during the covid crap. We all know what's going on here, and most of us don't like it, but seeing the dollar figure was jarring to me. Have we destroyed college football as we know it? I hope not.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No, because by the time their return is flagged, notice is given, and any form of audit procedures begin. The player will be years gone from the school. These types of things take years to find, investigate and settle.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No, because by the time their return is flagged, notice is given, and any form of audit procedures begin. The player will be years gone from the school. These types of things take years to find, investigate and settle.
I'm not so sure, Buzz. Give mid seven figures to an 18-year-old with myriad handlers and an entourage, and no history of managing a dime...what could go wrong?

Your timeline is right for the significant majority of taxpayers. But I don't think the IRS will treat these guys like the significant majority of taxpayers. I think they'll be on this stuff like stink on a skunk.

Fortunately, I've never dealt with the IRS other than to file tax returns and get the occasional refund. But I have dealt with bank examiners on a mission. I'm telling you, in comparison to when the Feds get up in your business, a combination colonoscopy / endoscopy without anesthesia will look and feel like a nod between colleagues passing in the hallway.

In answer to the OP's question: I think guys who sign big NIL deals out of HS, but for whatever reason don't pan out in college, might stay in college longer.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
It's ok OSU fan, i understand. You took it as a shot but it was not meant to be. Coach Day was just being honest and transparent, something he did on several occasions 2 years ago during the covid crap. We all know what's going on here, and most of us don't like it, but seeing the dollar figure was jarring to me. Have we destroyed college football as we know it? I hope not.
I didn’t take it as anything, just wondered what you meant. I have really started to not care about any college football at all anymore. NIL has pretty much ruined the magic for me. Maybe I’ll get more enthusiastic when the season commences but honestly it’s become impossible to get emotionally invested in CFB recently

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I didn’t take it as anything, just wondered what you meant. I have really started to not care about any college football at all anymore. NIL has pretty much ruined the magic for me. Maybe I’ll get more enthusiastic when the season commences but honestly it’s become impossible to get emotionally invested in CFB recently
I’m not quite as far down that road as you are, but we’re headed in the same direction.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In all honesty, I don't care.

They want to be adults and make serious coin, then it's up to them to figure it out. I'm sure some will screw up and in end up in trouble with the IRS - big whoop. You wanted the money, you deal with the consequences.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.