Will the Barners pull for the Tide?

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
The only realistic chance Auburn has to make it to Atlanta, is for us to beat LSU.

If that happens and if Auburn wins out (which would include an Auburn win over us) then we would have a 3-way tie at 6-2 (also assuming LSU beats Arkansas and Mississippi). The first tie-breaker is combined head-to-head, which would be dead-even in that case. The next tie-breaker involves scenarios I cannot fathom at this point. In other words, we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there!

If LSU beats us, Auburn's only chance at Atlanta is for LSU to lose to both Arkansas and Mississippi (fat chance).

Will they pull for BAMA?

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
The more informed barn fans will pull for us, allbeit reluctantly. The other faction have such a load of hate/envy for us that they don't care what the consequences are if we win. They just want us to lose. (We probably have our share of that ilk, I realize.)

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
If we beat LSU and Miss State - we will go to Atlanta regardless of Auburn game.
I was looking at the 3rd tie-breaker. I missed the obvious divisional record. What was I thinkin?

In my scenario above, we would have a 4-1 divisional record while LSU and Auburn would both be at 3-2!

Thanks

Last edited:

boilerbama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2003
Kimball,TN USA
I feel that AU fans will have mixed feelings. They almost pulled the win in Baton Rouge. I know they feel like they can play with anyone after the Flordia win and then the narrow loss to LSU. I dont really worry about what AU fans think about our game, I worry about winning the LSU game and then having one of those oops games that could happen at MSU!! One game at a time though. RTR RTR GO BAMA

Stephen323

All-American
May 29, 2003
Duluth, GA
After head to head it's division record. Auburn has two division losses...if we beat LSU and MSU we clinch the SEC west regardless of whether we win or lose to the barners

Not necessarily. That is only true if LSU then beats Ole Miss and Arkansas, forcing a 3-way tie for the division. If Auburn were to beat us and have an identical 6-2 record for a 2-way tie, then Auburn would go to Atlanta.

Not necessarily. That is only true if LSU then beats Ole Miss and Arkansas, forcing a 3-way tie for the division. If Auburn were to beat us and have an identical 6-2 record for a 2-way tie, then Auburn would go to Atlanta.
yep you're right...I was assuming LSU wins out after our game...probably should have said that...that said...it would be better for Auburn if we lost to LSU and then LSU lost to Ole Miss and Arkansas, fat chance of that happening. Auburn's pretty much done. I'm not sure what the scenario would have to be for Auburn to make it into the SEC championship game...maybe us beat LSU then lose to MSU and Auburn...who cares...Auburn needs a lot of help to go to the SEC championship game...we only need to win out. ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
Why'd you guys have to start this thread:biggrin2:. So in essence, if Bama beats LSU (assuming LSU wins out) they'll only need a win over Miss State OR Auburn to go to Atlanta. I guess I've been staying so grounded I never noticed they were actually that close. Amazing...

AdamMc2003

1st Team
Dec 14, 2005
if we beat LSU and Miss. St., we are in no matter what...

even with a loss to Auburn, it would come down to the divisional losses(as in the West) each team has, in which case Auburn would be our only Western division loss(we would have another SEC loss, but it would be against Georgia, who is in the East), Auburn has lost to Miss. St. and LSU, two Western division losses... LSU would be out because in this scenario, we beat them heads up and they have two SEC losses... I think that is right, heads up only matters if you have identical Western Division records, if a team has more Western division losses, even a heads up win against said team won't put them in, the way Arkansas got in last year...

but IMO, if we lose to Auburn, we don't deserve to be in Atlanta...

I think we should win out, just to be safe :)

Last edited:

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
LOL...if we beat LSU and MSU, we need for LSU to beat Ole Miss and Arkansas. That would create a THREE-WAY tie, in which the head-to-head tiebreaker wouldn't come into play because it would be a wash.

On the other hand, if LSU lost to OM or Ark, after we beat 'em, then we would HAVE to beat Auburn to go to Atlanta, assuming AU doesn't lose before they play us. In a TWO way tie, the head to head comes back, and the loser would be out.

Ouch, my brain (what's left of it) hurts. :)

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
If we beat LSU and Miss State - we will go to Atlanta regardless of Auburn game.
Yep...

If we beat LSU and MSU -- Auburn can't stop us from going to Atlanta!

After beating LSU we only need to win 2 out of the last 3 games,

I think we'd play better against Auburn if our guys knew that they had already reserved a spot in the SECCG,

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.