Will the Team be Invited by President Biden to the White House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Exactly. Love the person in there or hate the person in there, you don’t turn down a chance to see where some of the greatest decisions in history have been made, the center of the greatest nation to have ever existed in history. You’re a fool to turn that down for political Facebook clout.

I hope they get to go somehow.
Attended in 2003 (with Clemson golf team) when George W. Bush hosted the winners of the Spring sports. Very memorable and basically non-political. Yes, the history is amazing...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
And in the modern day, there's two other things (related) that go along with it:
a) social media permits everyone to be a self-centered star, so they get attention for going/not goin
b) outside groups who don't like the leader pressure schools/teams to not go and "send a message," which is pretty dumb.

Side note: when the former Yale first baseman took over for the Gipper, the Super Bowl was played two days later. Between those two days was.....Saturday....as in SNL. One of the skits - and it was pretty funny - had the 49ers winning and Reagan calling and interrupting Bush's call with Bill Walsh and them arguing. It made light of the whole thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Attended in 2003 (with Clemson golf team) when George W. Bush hosted the winners of the Spring sports. Very memorable and basically non-political. Yes, the history is amazing...
I will say being in the presence of the president despite your political opinion is pretty damn cool. I was providing security for President Obama when he landed at Offutt in route to the Iowa Caucuses. It’s something surreal to experience. I have of course been in the same building twice when Trump was there though I was nowhere as close as I was as I was to Obama.

I can see both sides of the argument, but I believe there are probably bigger traditions attached to sports that probably should end before this personally that have political overtones that many people don’t think about. Seeing the president is something one has to experience if someone has a chance.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I guess I’m old school—if you are invited by the President of the United States to the white house, you get your nicest suit and tie in the wardrobe closet and go, if nothing else out of respect for the position and not necessarily the current occupant of that position. Not sure many, if any, of our players supported the president in early 2018 but as far as I know they all accepted the invitation and were very respectful in their behavior that day. As far as whether the tradition should be ended, I don’t care one way or the other, that would be up to the current president and/or his administration. The pandemic would definitely be a convenient out to bring it to an end.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I like the tradition and see no real (maybe some imagined) harm in it. Is it a bit political for the President? Yes, but in today's world it's one of the most absolutely harmless political things a President will do. Most of these players and coaches will never have the chance to meet with a President.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I like the tradition, and think it would be quite the honor. However, I think it needs to die a quick death if it continues to get politicized by either side. I am hopeful that the last four years are the exception and not the rule when it comes to politicizing White House visits.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Without getting political take in consideration President Biden hasn’t really had a lot of time this week to set it up. If I’m not mistaken we always saw Obama in some March or April time frame. It really wasn’t until Trump that people started to seeing POTUS within two weeks of the national championship.

If we are invited I’m hoping two things.
1) Tubby has to be shamed into coming
2) They don’t serve our boys McDonalds as a presidential meal.
Agree with tubs. McD's is ok if they let tennessee's boosters hand out the bags lol

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Still a no for me on principle alone. Player or not, says a lot about a person if he forgets his values for a free trip. Although, values aren’t what they once were

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.