Will there be a National Championship game for 2020?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Posted it in another topic but if the ACC+Big-12+SEC alliance holds up then I imagine there will be a playoff with the 3 champions and an at-large that is probably picked by a metric or a coaches vote within the 3 conferences. The Sugar Bowl will host the SEC v. Big-12 game and the Orange Bowl will host the ACC v. At-Large.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well let's see......asterisk?

Who's gonna whine 30 years from now?

"Well, we don't recognize the champion from 2020 because 2 of the conferences didn't even play?"

People like me: But you played all the other years, and it didn't make one damn bit of difference....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I donā€™t get a vote, but I donā€™t want a football affiliate for 2020. Or a cross country or volleyball affiliate.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

"Well, we don't recognize the champion from 2020 because 2 of the conferences didn't even play?"

People like me: But you played all the other years, and it didn't make one damn bit of difference....
It would sure put Coach Saban in an awkward spot if he gets record breaking NC #7 in such a season and finishes his career with 7 NC's.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

You reckon the 1943 Notre Dame team feels any apprehension about that 1943 AP national title considering many teams across the nation could not field football teams due to Army/Navy regulations on athletics participation of their trainees?

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It would sure put Coach Saban in an awkward spot if he gets record breaking NC #7 in such a season and finishes his career with 7 NC's.
No, it wouldn't.

Saban's are less open to scrutiny than Bryant's are. Saban has met "the other best team" every single time and isn't bound by ancient bowl agreements that locked him into the Sugar Bowl while Notre Dame was avoiding him. The only even slightly questionable title is 2003 - and that's not Saban's fault anyway. He DID play "the other best team," it was just a weird thing.

Reactions: BamaMoon

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Could there REALLY be an argument made about the 2020 national championship not being legit because not all conferences played? Those conferences bowed out voluntarily. They were not forced. I'd say that's in the neighborhood of a forfeiture.

Reactions: TraskiTideFan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Could there REALLY be an argument made about the 2020 national championship not being legit because not all conferences played? Those conferences bowed out voluntarily. They were not forced. I'd say that's in the neighborhood of a forfeiture.
Who cares?

People who already complain about Alabama's legitimate championships (let's just start with 1961 as reality did prior to Wayne Atcheson's holy vision) are going to complain anyway.

But only when it's Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You reckon the 1943 Notre Dame team feels any apprehension about that 1943 AP national title considering many teams across the nation could not field football teams due to Army/Navy regulations on athletics participation of their trainees?
Good points.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Posted it in another topic but if the ACC+Big-12+SEC alliance holds up then I imagine there will be a playoff with the 3 champions and an at-large that is probably picked by a metric or a coaches vote within the 3 conferences. The Sugar Bowl will host the SEC v. Big-12 game and the Orange Bowl will host the ACC v. At-Large.
The College Football Playoff Selection Committee is still intact. If there is a playoff, they will determine the four teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.