Wish There Was a Maturity Metric for Recruits

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Like so many others who frequent the recruiting board and try to follow recruiting, I have come to wish more and more that there were some some sort of metric for a recruit's level of maturity and overall sophistication.

For a decision so important to their future (and to rabid fans, of course), recruits often come into the process light years apart from one another in terms of the sophistication of their decision process. Take a recruit such as Mark Ingram, for example, who seemed to weigh a lot of factors when making his decision. He took his time, laid out his priorities, and made a call. He relied on the advice of mentors and explored his options.

Compare that to recruits (and I won't name any) who seem to favor whichever school called them last. You can find examples of guys who repeatedly switch commitments, or who express interest in schools that make absolutely no sense for them. For those of us who put time into following recruiting from a fan's perspective, these are the truly infuriating cases.

In reality, this is unavoidable. You will always have kids like Mark whose lives have been steeped in football and whose mentors give them sound advice. They will be mature, sophisticated, and make rational decisions along the way. And there will always be recruits who are emotionally and psychologically overwhelmed by the process, who have no reliable voice of rationale in their life. And this latter group will cause devoted fans a great deal of heartache.

In the end, I guess I just wish there was some indicator that would allow recruiting junkies to know which case they are dealing with. It just seems that we know so much about these guys (height, weight, 40 times, ACT scores, etc.), but in other ways we know so very little.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I am not a recruiting junkie, but I have boys. I can tell you that they are bright boys who usually know exactly what they want, and how to go about getting those things. But they struggle with really big decisions. They are often afraid of making the wrong choice instead of focused on making the right one.

I feel for the young men out there who have to make these decisions essentially on their own. How daunting must that be? Think of the pressure placed upon them to help "save" a program in need of their services, or lift a family living in poverty.

18 was a tough enough age for me without those pressures...

Tigerslayer

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2006
Like so many others who frequent the recruiting board and try to follow recruiting, I have come to wish more and more that there were some some sort of metric for a recruit's level of maturity and overall sophistication.

For a decision so important to their future (and to rabid fans, of course), recruits often come into the process light years apart from one another in terms of the sophistication of their decision process. Take a recruit such as Mark Ingram, for example, who seemed to weigh a lot of factors when making his decision. He took his time, laid out his priorities, and made a call. He relied on the advice of mentors and explored his options.

Compare that to recruits (and I won't name any) who seem to favor whichever school called them last. You can find examples of guys who repeatedly switch commitments, or who express interest in schools that make absolutely no sense for them. For those of us who put time into following recruiting from a fan's perspective, these are the truly infuriating cases.

In reality, this is unavoidable. You will always have kids like Mark whose lives have been steeped in football and whose mentors give them sound advice. They will be mature, sophisticated, and make rational decisions along the way. And there will always be recruits who are emotionally and psychologically overwhelmed by the process, who have no reliable voice of rationale in their life. And this latter group will cause devoted fans a great deal of heartache.

In the end, I guess I just wish there was some indicator that would allow recruiting junkies to know which case they are dealing with. It just seems that we know so much about these guys (height, weight, 40 times, ACT scores, etc.), but in other ways we know so very little.
I feel your pain...what's a mother to do?

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I have been wondering if this might be a bit of the problem that is going on at LSU right now. I'm not saying that LSU is on a complete downhill slide (before I offend and LSU fans that post on here), but they have a had a bit of a down year. Miles has continued to bring in talent equal to that of Saban's recruiting classes. However, I wander if he happens to be getting guys that have a "me first" mentality as opposed to a "team first" mentality. I think one major strength of Saban is that he seems to be a pretty good judge of character. This year's freshmen seemed to be a very mature class both physically and mentally. Take Ryan Perrilloux for example. He didn't committ to LSU until after Miles arrived. I wander if Ryan P. sensed that Miles would be more likely to put up with his crap than Saban would. I'm not saying that Saban didn't recruit Ryan P. This is just my opinion, I know LSU didn't have a QB this year, but I don't think that was their only problem. :BigA:

RunBamaRun

1st Team
Jun 7, 2006
The only thing close to a "maturity metric for recruits" is the HC's interview with each recruit. It isn't fool proof but a HC like Nick Saban can pretty well tell what level of maturity a kid has after talking with him for a period of time.

Different recruits look for different things when making their decisions.....girls and the beach even lure some to certain schools. CNS looks for the ones interested in being the best football player they can be, getting an education, being part of a great team....with tradition and winning championships. Wanting to reach the next level will sometimes override the "education" part though.:)

With the talent interested in Bama there is no need to worry about any that will change their minds.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
They are 17-18 year olds...give them a break. What I really wish is that there was a "maturity metric" for fans...:)
I think you might have missed the point. I don't blame some of the recruits for being immature, I just wish we as fans knew which ones were.

If there was a "maturity metric" for fans, would you get a 1-point deduction just for being an Auburn fan? Higher? :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.