Words Lost Over Time or Just Used Locally

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm from small town alabama and have never heard cicadas called locusts. It's 2 different things. I've heard them called katydid's, but I'm pretty sure those are different. cicada's come out every several years in a cycle. katydids are out every summer in the trees making loud noises.

I'm pretty sure what you think are cicada's aren't actually cicadas
As a kid the big green ones, the ones that show up yearly, were always referred to as locusts, sometimes annual locusts.

In the eastern USA the nickname "locust" is applied to the annual cicadas.
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/2008/7-30/cicada.html

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
"Up North" As in, He's from up north. Holler As in He lives up the holler.

Gall/gosh darn/dang it. Shoot/shucks. People use much stronger words now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sweet Milk? How old are you? I only heard my grandmother use that term. She was 87 in 1995 when she died. I have never heard anyone else use that term.
My grandmother was about that age and said sweet milk. I used to think there was some other kind of milk. I never heard anyone else say it, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I just got transferred to a boat running from NY harbor to Boston. After my third or fourth day my Capt. remarked to me that he hadn't heard "y'all" on the vhf in about 15 years. About 5 minutes later he almost fell out of his chair when I replied to the sweet sounding USCG lady with a "yes ma'am".

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
Sweet Milk? How old are you? I only heard my grandmother use that term. She was 87 in 1995 when she died. I have never heard anyone else use that term.
If you were ever in Pete's Hotdogs on 2nd Ave in Birmingham and heard someone order and then ask for milk, Gus (Pete was the guy who opened the joint in 1939) would ask if they wanted sweet milk or buttermilk. I never understood why someone would want milk with hotdogs, but he had both so obviously someone did.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is not a single word but a phrase I grew up hearing, still use and when I do get some strange looks.

"Gotta bead on it".

"You know what causes that don't you?"

"Yeah, I gotta bead on it now."

(When someone finds out we have five kids)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
When I was a kid, we answered the phone with "<family name> residence; <first name> speaking". I think this was pretty normal at that time. We didn't have a phone when I was born. When we got one it was a big deal. Answering the phone by just saying hello was equivalent to not using "mam" or "sir" when talking with an adult.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Dear friend of mine - landscaper like me - recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. Very sad...only in his 50's and one of the best humans I have ever known.

He used to use the word 'tote" when referring to bringing something from one place to another.

He's the only one I ever heard use that word.
Goodness, you haven't been out much in the South.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When something fell, it was tumped over. When you are going to do something, you're fixin to do it. I was working on my car engine and when I cranked it up my buddy said that sounds like it has some "loose doings" in it. That wasn't good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.