Game Thread: World Cup / USMNT Chat Thread

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
We really left a lot of opportunities on the table today....need to get better or we're done....
Does BoB coach soccer, too?

observations from a not soccer fan…probably same as other not soccer fans…

+ lots of running… lots … and little to show for it
+ all the flopping makes the game unwatchable for me. I watched because USA USA USA but it really does turn me off from caring
+ the Iranian player who screamed like his leg had been cut off for 30 seconds and got up and ran away should have been given a red card. That kind of penalty would mostly eliminate flopping
+ I have heard this team described as the best ever for us. Okaaaay…knowing virtually nothing about soccer history or strategy, what makes a team that has mostly draws and a 1 point win so great? I’m not A fan of sister-kissing in football or soccer so 0-0 or 1-1 scores don’t draw me in.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
+ lots of running… lots … and little to show for it
If you're watching the game exclusively for the goals, you're doing it wrong. It's "the beautiful game," not the high scoring one.

+ all the flopping makes the game unwatchable for me. I watched because USA USA USA but it really does turn me off from caring
That one actually had very little flopping.

+ the Iranian player who screamed like his leg had been cut off for 30 seconds and got up and ran away should have been given a red card. That kind of penalty would mostly eliminate flopping
He didn't flop. He was fouled. He did emphasize the injury but he was fouled.

Faking a foul will get you booked these days for "simulation."

+ I have heard this team described as the best ever for us.
No one is saying that. This team probably has the most raw talent of any team we've ever had, but it's far from our greatest (which I'd say was the 2002 World Cup team that Dos-A-Cero'd Mexico).

This team's peak won't be until the next cycle. We're starting youngest team in this tournament.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If you're watching the game exclusively for the goals, you're doing it wrong. It's "the beautiful game," not the high scoring one.

That one actually had very little flopping.

He didn't flop. He was fouled. He did emphasize the injury but he was fouled.

Faking a foul will get you booked these days for "simulation."

No one is saying that. This team probably has the most raw talent of any team we've ever had, but it's far from our greatest (which I'd say was the 2002 World Cup team that Dos-A-Cero'd Mexico).

This team's peak won't be until the next cycle. We're starting youngest team in this tournament.
now you’re just soccersplainin’ :D

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Okaaaay…knowing virtually nothing about soccer history or strategy, what makes a team that has mostly draws and a 1 point win so great? I’m not A fan of sister-kissing in football or soccer so 0-0 or 1-1 scores don’t draw me in.
Soccer, by and large, tends to be a sport where the campaign is the focus, and not just the individual games. Across the pond playoffs are rare to determine a champion. Everyone plays each other other and the team that put the best campaign together is the champion. There's nothing wrong with that. Just how they do it.

In many countries they have a promotion/relegation system as well, those parts of the standings are frequently very tight as teams try to win promotion or avoid getting booted to a lesser league. It helps to not think of draws as ties when that's a stake, rather to think of it as one of the teams came in with a lead. Even teams at the bottom of the standings have a reason to play hard and not phone it in.

The world cup final is structured differently due to time constraints, but it's a hybrid of league tables with the group stages and an American style playoff system.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It helps to not think of draws as ties when that's a stake, rather to think of it as one of the teams came in with a lead. Even teams at the bottom of the standings have a reason to play hard and not phone it in.
For instance, Iran had an advantage we had to overcome. A tie game would have sent them through, so they had every reason to play for the draw, and we had to break them down then hold off their furious attempt at a comeback when both teams were running on fumes.

Reactions: B1GTide

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
observations from a not soccer fan…probably same as other not soccer fans…

I’m not A fan of sister-kissing in football or soccer so 0-0 or 1-1 scores don’t draw me in.
I've seen some great no/low scoring soccer games and, likewise, some tremendous football games with low scores, such as the 2011 UA/LSU 9-6 game. Consider that if every goal in soccer counted for six points, as football does, there would be "higher scoring" games. A good football game can be 21-14, which in soccer is a 3-2 score. In reality, for both sports, it's not the score that determines how good the game is/was - it's the quality of the play.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It is rare to see Mexico look so offensively inept, especially over the course of multiple games - not that I'm feeling sorry for them or anything. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.