Game Thread: World Cup / USMNT Chat Thread

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Before I saw that I was going to ask - serious question - if the players and coaches from MEX are in danger. That might be my answer
Mexican fans don't usually go beyond general ugliness, breaking stuff and throwing crap on the field. Ugly enough that visiting fans have to be caged off at the Azteca, but murders aren't common.

For an example where it did go good far, look up Colombia and Andrés Escobar, who's own goal in the 1994 World Cup final, against us, no less, got him killed.

That was a mafia hit though.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I was pulling for Costa Rica to somehow end both Spain and Germany's run. For a brief time in the second half of those games, 3 minutes, that could have been the case. Japan was topping the group with Costa Rica in second.

Unfortunately Germany stormed back.
Costa Rica had a tough draw :oops:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
There's an interesting thread on r/LigaMX discussing the expected turnover within the FMF.

There's quite a lot of back and forth and dissent, but a lot of the dissenters are in the wrong, IMO.

FMF is rigid in ways USSoccer is not, and that's part of why we've taken control in a rivalry they used to dominate. Not that USSoccer doesn't have its own flaws (see 2018 and failing to qualify), but we've pretty much got the machine rolling at this point as far as player development and all that, and we've dealt with the reckoning that missing a World Cup final meant pretty well. We're flawed but very young right now, but leaps and bounds ahead of Mexico's system at this point.

(As an aside, a few were like "yeah well the US just started signing dual nats that had no business play for the US. One poster put that to bed. Here's his response verbatim:

"Lol what a terrible take, do even a little bit of research.

Musah and Dest are the only ones who apply, and even then Dest chose the US because he was always in their youth teams. He grew up playing with these guys. Ferreira has lived in Texas since he was 10, he never accepted Colombia call ups.

Weah and Reyna are even dumber to be included. Weah literally grew up in Queens and played for the NY Red Bull academy until 17. Reyna grew up in New York and played in the NYCFC academy. Reyna is literally the son of US national team players, mom and dad. He grew up American in America..

It’s like saying Mexicans from Los Angeles were poached from USA, even though they are full Mexican and identify as so.. and even if they didn’t, you sound like a clown for gatekeeping national identity")

Mexico managed to avoid their reckoning, via a confederation playoff where they just barely avoided missing World Cup final in 2014, and even now the traditionalists prefer to keep the flawed system that put them in this position rather than adjust. They think the solution is to become MORE insular.
Circling back on this:

RDT_20221202_1151277108719228135437819.png

Mexico is seriously hampering themselves by not letting their players go across the pond to develop. At this point even the development academies here in America are quickly getting better than Mexico's. They just insist on keeping them domestic.

LIGAMX has a bad format to development, as well, with its wonky Apertura y Clausura followed by the liguilla format. They've also done away with pro/rel for the time being.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
This is an interesting twist.

LAST MINUTE! 🇺🇲🇨🇦

The United States and Canada are in talks with CONMEBOL to participate in the 2024 Copa América
Since we don't have to go through the rigors of CONCACAF qualifying next cycle, scheduling as many top teams as we can find should be our goal. Participation in Copa América would be part of that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.