XBox 360 or PS3?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
For those who have played both systems, which do y'all prefer? The PS3 is $600 and the XBox 360 is $400 or $300 for the core system. It is just hard for me to justify paying $600 for a gaming system. Is the PS3 that much better or is it just vastly overpriced? And what is the difference between the XBox 360 and the XBox 360 core system? Any info y'all could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I have not played a PS3 but I do own a Xbox 360 and I can honestly say I'm not disappointed in my decision. The difference between the 360 core and the 360 premium is basically the premium comes with a 20 gig hard drive (to save all your stuff) and a wireless controller while the core includes no hard drive and a wired controller. Of course now they have the 360 Elite which is black in color and includes a 120 gig hard drive and HDMI compatibility. You can buy the core system and add either hard drive and wireless controller later if you chose to but you'd end up spending more money if you did it that way. I bought the Premium about a year ago and the 20 gig hard drive has been plenty big enough for me but with all of Microsoft's available download content (like movies, arcade games, demos, videos, etc, etc) if you start downloading a lot of that stuff you'll eventually find available hard drive space to be at a premium. The PS3 is overpriced IMHO and until they establish their game library (games for the PS3) it's not worth getting over a 360 (again IMHO). I don't believe one is better than the other so the price of the PS3 just doesn't justify it in my eyes. I would say however that you probably couldn't go wrong with getting either one so it's really just a matter of opinion. The PS3 will have plenty of games to choose from in the future if your patient enough to wait, but right now it's not even close to the 360 in that department.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The ultimate deciding factor should be the games. Right now, the 360 has a better game library (IMHO) for now and in the immediate future.

The PS3's library has some good games coming out but it won't be matching the 360 for a while unless you're a hardcore Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy fan. Even then, those two system sellers won't be out until next year.

Go to places like Fatwallet.com, Slickdeals.net, and Cheapassgamer.com to keep an eye out for deals. Sometimes you can get bundles or coupons to make your purchase cheaper.

Also keep in mind that the 360 is due for a price drop sometime between now and this fall. People have been calling for a PS3 price drop as well but I kind of don't see Sony doing that yet.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
Keep in mind though you have to pay for a hdvd drive to watch hd movies on xbox 360. The ps3 has a built in blueray player. If yo are wanting to get a system for this as well, by the time you get the add ons for the 360 you would about be able to get a ps3 for the same price. I have a ps3 and my brother has a xbox 360. Online at this point is better for xbox, but you have to pay. The internet for the ps3 is free. Try them both out and see what you like better. Like said before either way you will not be dissapointed.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Keep in mind though you have to pay for a hdvd drive to watch hd movies on xbox 360. The ps3 has a built in blueray player. If yo are wanting to get a system for this as well, by the time you get the add ons for the 360 you would about be able to get a ps3 for the same price.
That's the point of the 360 though. You don't have to buy the add-ons if you don't want them.

Personally, I have no desire in choosing sides in the Blu-Ray/HD DVD battle until after either a 'winner' is determined or dual-format players come out at a reasonable price.

I have a ps3 and my brother has a xbox 360. Online at this point is better for xbox, but you have to pay. The internet for the ps3 is free. Try them both out and see what you like better. Like said before either way you will not be dissapointed.
Just to clarify, you can do everything online with the 360's free account (downloads demos, xbl arcade games, message friends, get updates, etc) except play others online. At $50 a year (less if you are a deal hunter), it is totally worth it IMHO.

P.S. If Blu-Ray is a deciding factor for you, wait until after July 1st. Sony will be offering a Blu-Ray movie bundle with every Blu-Ray player sold...including the PS3. Link

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has revealed an exciting offer for those of you who are still looking to pick up a Blu-ray player. If you purchase a Blu-ray player (including the PS3) between July 1st and September 30th, you will automatically qualify to receive 5 Blu-ray movies absolutely free.
The five titles can come from a selection of 21 movies. Here are some of them:
The Guardian
Babel
Invincible
Chicken Little
Corpse Bride
Blazing Saddles
Kiss of the Dragon
The Phantom of the Opera
The Devil's Rejects
The Italian Job
The Last Waltz
The Omen (2006)
Stealth
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Species
Hart's War
Stir of Echoes
Underworld: Evolution

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I only have gaming systems for NCAA football, that is the only game I care for. ;) If the XBox 360 core has no hard drive can you still save games? Does it use a memory card?

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I only have gaming systems for NCAA football, that is the only game I care for. ;) If the XBox 360 core has no hard drive can you still save games? Does it use a memory card?
Yep, the 360 can use memory cards too.

I'd get one off of eBay or elsewhere cheap if you want to go that route though. Paying retail price for a memory card makes no sense when for just a few dollars more, you'd be better off spending your money on a Premium to get the 20GB Hard drive and wireless controller (Core comes with a wired controller).

The hard drive is really worth it too for downloading demos, videos, movies, tv shows, live arcade games, etc.

Like I said, if you really want a 360...keep your eye out on the deal sites. Bundles, coupons, and price drops can result in you saving $$$.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Yep, the 360 can use memory cards too.

I'd get one off of eBay or elsewhere cheap if you want to go that route though. Paying retail price for a memory card makes no sense when for just a few dollars more, you'd be better off spending your money on a Premium to get the 20GB Hard drive and wireless controller (Core comes with a wired controller).

The hard drive is really worth it too for downloading demos, videos, movies, tv shows, live arcade games, etc.

Like I said, if you really want a 360...keep your eye out on the deal sites. Bundles, coupons, and price drops can result in you saving $$$.
I didn't think about how much a memory card would cost. I was assuming they would be rather cheap. Thanks for the help.

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
I only have gaming systems for NCAA football, that is the only game I care for. ;)
Since playing NCAA football is your main reason for owning a console, probably the most important factor to consider at this point and time is the fact that the XBox 360 version of NCAA 08 will be at 60 frames per second while the PS3 version will be half that at only 30 frames per second. The "frames per second" will help determine how smooth the action in the game appears so the game should look better on the 360. This will also be true for Madden 08.

Quesy posted a thread about it yesterday, Here's the link:

http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58477

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
That's a very good point that cooleddie brings up. That difference in frame rate should be rather noticeable.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Since playing NCAA football is your main reason for owning a console, probably the most important factor to consider at this point and time is the fact that the XBox 360 version of NCAA 08 will be at 60 frames per second while the PS3 version will be half that at only 30 frames per second. The "frames per second" will help determine how smooth the action in the game appears so the game should look better on the 360. This will also be true for Madden 08.

Quesy posted a thread about it yesterday, Here's the link:

http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58477
I'm pretty sure the PS3 will be running the game at 1080p and the 360 at 760p.

If the "fps" are solid and don't jump around then 30 fps should be just fine.

Ideally you would want a higher fps though.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
That's a very good point that cooleddie brings up. That difference in frame rate should be rather noticeable.

You will never notice the framerate difference. Consoles are not like playing on a PC. normally 30 fps on a PC will be enough anyway. Your eyes just cant pick up anymore than about 30-40 fps anyway. Sony and EA will not put a game or system out there thats going to be choppy or cause tearing of the screen...

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
You will never notice the framerate difference. Consoles are not like playing on a PC. normally 30 fps on a PC will be enough anyway. Your eyes just cant pick up anymore than about 30-40 fps anyway.
Yes, you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in HD resolutions. Especially when there is alot of action going on on the screen that may make the frame rate drop.

Sony and EA will not put a game or system out there thats going to be choppy or cause tearing of the screen...
Yes. Yes they will. A common complaint of the PS3 so far with multi-platform releases is that the games are choppier on the PS3. The Darkness, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and others have been knocked for being choppy on the PS3.

Let us also not forget the stadium fly-by in last year's edition of NCAA that was choppy in addition to other choppy segments during gameplay. The 60fps for the 360 should all but solve those issues.

I say "should" because we still haven't seen the final product. This is EA we are talking about after all. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
I wouldnt say it has been a dissapointment. I love mine. Dont believe everything the media says about it. How many systems do not have people complaining about them when they first launch? By the end of the year the games should really start coming out for it. It may not be the best system right now, but i also wouldnt say it is a bad investment. Its really all personal preference. I do not believe you will go wrong with either system you choose.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
You will never notice the framerate difference. Consoles are not like playing on a PC. normally 30 fps on a PC will be enough anyway. Your eyes just cant pick up anymore than about 30-40 fps anyway. Sony and EA will not put a game or system out there thats going to be choppy or cause tearing of the screen...
Once again, like I said in the other thread, you're wrong you will be able to tell a difference. Just look at some of the reviews of people who have had the chance to play early editions of this game and they will all tell you the same. The game is noticeably faster and smoother. It will play much better on the 360 than on the PS3 because of this.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
After reading all this stuff, I don't think I'll be getting a PS3 as I was really just going to use it for Blu-Ray since I already have Xbox 360. Sounds like PS3 has been quite a disappointment so far in the gaming department.
If you were to get a PS3 for Blu-Ray, it wouldn't be that bad of an investment since it easily has the best Blu-Ray playback of any of the Blu-Ray players right now. And, it is only $100 more than the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

A year from now when player prices continue to drop. Who knows.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
Yes. Yes they will. A common complaint of the PS3 so far with multi-platform releases is that the games are choppier on the PS3. The Darkness, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and others have been knocked for being choppy on the PS3.

Ok, I am/was unaware of this. I will say that I have not played a PS3 exceopt for the demo at walmart. Thing is though, that the problem is not the 30 fps, the problem is evidently the system cant handle the game cause at 30 fps things will run smooth, what happens is that the fps drop way below 30. I thought that 30 would be the mainstream fps.

I know we all love to get 1,000,000 fps but the thing is, the eye cannot tell the difference in say 35 fps or 135 fps......but the eye can tell a HUGE difference in 10 fps and 35. Because the most an eye can pick up is somewhere in between 30-40, i cant rememebr exactly.

SO although I was wrong in saying EA and sony would not put out a game or sytem that would not run correctly, but 30 fps would be good if it would run at it. Same thing for the XBox, even though it says 60 fps, you can bet your last buck that it doesnt run at 60 the entire time.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
Once again, like I said in the other thread, you're wrong you will be able to tell a difference. Just look at some of the reviews of people who have had the chance to play early editions of this game and they will all tell you the same. The game is noticeably faster and smoother. It will play much better on the 360 than on the PS3 because of this.

Read my point above (not sure how to mutli quote)...

30 fps would be ok if it would stay at 30.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Read my point above (not sure how to mutli quote)...

30 fps would be ok if it would stay at 30.
Re-read what I said and go around and find some stuff from people who have ACTUALLY had the chance to play this game and then come back and tell me that 60fps isn't noticeable compared to 30fps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.