News Article: Yesterday in history: Versus Texas, This is the first game Alabama wears crimson helmet with white numerals.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Up to that point, helmets were either white plastic or they were painted and looked like hell by the end of the season, as collisions removed the paint, chip by chip. In 1960, Arkansas adopted the new helmets with the dye mixed in with the plastic, and, of course, Arkansas' red is very close to ours. Coach really liked them and the next year, we switched also to the new helmets...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Early on I recall Alabama, after going to crimson helmets, would wear white helmets when playing a team whose helmets were red. Later on if we played a team whose helmets were close in color to ours Coach Bryant had all receivers, including the running backs wear white helmets so the QB could quickly see the difference. The OL and defensive players wore crimson helmets. This lasted a couple of years before the NCAA ruled against it

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and Con

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Early on I recall Alabama, after going to crimson helmets, would wear white helmets when playing a team whose helmets were red. Later on if we played a team whose helmets were close in color to ours Coach Bryant had all receivers, including the running backs wear white helmets so the QB could quickly see the difference. The OL and defensive players wore crimson helmets. This lasted a couple of years before the NCAA ruled against it
I thought I remembered Bama receivers wearing white helmets in the 1962 opener in Birmingham at night against Georgia. I was there and I could write a short story about that game. Those who know the history, know what I'm saying. But I digress. Found the following:

At times during the 1960s, Alabama used white helmets on eligible receivers in games at night or when another team??s helmet matched or resembled ours in color.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought I remembered Bama receivers wearing white helmets in the 1962 opener in Birmingham at night against Georgia. I was there and I could write a short story about that game. Those who know the history, know what I'm saying. But I digress. Found the following:

At times during the 1960s, Alabama used white helmets on eligible receivers in games at night or when another team??s helmet matched or resembled ours in color.

I remember seeing one of the last games on B&W TV before the white visiting jersey rule came in. I wonder if that were 1962. It was UT, wearing that orange, and Bama in crimson. You could hardly tell the difference, particularly with the receivers in white helmets, since UT used white helmets...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.