You Are The SEC Commissioner

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I understand UVa may be more well rounded athletically, but what does that bring to the table? Do people care in enough numbers about sports like lacrosse, women's soccer, track & field, etc, for it to make a difference?

Of course, what is VTech good in? They haven't sniffed real success in football since about 2002. Since then, they've been decent to mediocre as Frank Beamer's tenure waned. They've been ok in basketball (better than us, honestly, until this season) but nothing else that I'm aware of.

So with Virginia, you're making a play for the state and tv dollars. What is the real difference between the two when it comes to that? VTech has to have more numbers when it comes to tv dollars because their fans care more about the big dollar sports. I think. I don't know what attendance numbers have been in men's bball and I realize Virginia just won the NC there.

Finally, when it comes to prestige, does the SEC care and would Virginia ever join the SEC? I say no to both. Virginia would only join the SEC out of desperation in a scenario where the ACC is collapsing and the Big Ten doesn't want them (and the Big Ten would take them in a heartbeat).

• Thank You
Reactions: JDCrimson

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I understand UVa may be more well rounded athletically, but what does that bring to the table? Do people care in enough numbers about sports like lacrosse, women's soccer, track & field, etc, for it to make a difference?

Of course, what is VTech good in? They haven't sniffed real success in football since about 2002. Since then, they've been decent to mediocre as Frank Beamer's tenure waned. They've been ok in basketball (better than us, honestly, until this season) but nothing else that I'm aware of.

So with Virginia, you're making a play for the state and tv dollars. What is the real difference between the two when it comes to that? VTech has to have more numbers when it comes to tv dollars because their fans care more about the big dollar sports. I think. I don't know what attendance numbers have been in men's bball and I realize Virginia just won the NC there.

Finally, when it comes to prestige, does the SEC care and would Virginia ever join the SEC? I say no to both. Virginia would only join the SEC out of desperation in a scenario where the ACC is collapsing and the Big Ten doesn't want them (and the Big Ten would take them in a heartbeat).
Virginia baseball and basketball are great programs.What really does VT have? A mediocre football that has seen way better days and what else?

The point is that the state of North Carolina is where the SEC wants to be in but we are realistically not getting UNC or Duke because South Carolina and Kentucky would raise hell about them. So really we are left with no great options other than decide between NC St and Wake, and then find a partner. Virginia makes the most logic as a program but not as a market. They heavily rely on the DC market which is a pro market. So really you are left with Memphis or a Florida team that won’t hack off Florida.

Really the SEC is great at 14. But if Super conferences happen then the SEC will likely explore East

Reactions: TideEngineer08

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I could change anything it would be to make the 9 or 10 game conference schedule permanent. Not add more teams.
I think 9-10 team schedule could work, but I would value 9 more than 10. Yes we just ran through one, and it was fun. But I just don’t trust the committee to accept that all conferences aren’t the same. So less is better but I would prefer a better East rotation so I guess 9.

As for getting rid of teams. I get the opinions for wanting 10-12 teams but for the money and TV rights I just prefer we stay as is. As much as I complain about SECN and CBS scheduling I really don’t miss JPS or PPV games. Yes they are nostalgic but let’s be honest they were crap. Plus if we go back to a round robin system then I guarantee you that everyone is going to load up on worse cupcakes than they already are, and these H&H OOC are going to die.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think 9-10 team schedule could work, but I would value 9 more than 10. Yes we just ran through one, and it was fun. But I just don’t trust the committee to accept that all conferences aren’t the same. So less is better but I would prefer a better East rotation so I guess 9.

As for getting rid of teams. I get the opinions for wanting 10-12 teams but for the money and TV rights I just prefer we stay as is. As much as I complain about SECN and CBS scheduling I really don’t miss JPS or PPV games. Yes they are nostalgic but let’s be honest they were crap. Plus if we go back to a round robin system then I guarantee you that everyone is going to load up on worse cupcakes than they already are, and these H&H OOC are going to die.
I prefer keeping Texas A&M. I don't care about Missouri. Stay or Leave, I don't care.

I don't think round robin works. But if we expand to 9 games, you can at least see each team from the conference before you graduate if you stay 4 years. For fans, you get to see each team on the schedule more often. It might take a hard rule, but I'd make it so that the 9th conference game takes the place of the FCS opponent on everyone's current schedules. I'm ok with the money arrangement for Sun Belt or CUSA teams. But I do not see a reason to prop up any FCS teams, especially when these teams come in and look to intentionally injure our players. (I don't like propping up Group of 5 teams either. I can just accept it).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I prefer keeping Texas A&M. I don't care about Missouri. Stay or Leave, I don't care.

I don't think round robin works. But if we expand to 9 games, you can at least see each team from the conference before you graduate if you stay 4 years. For fans, you get to see each team on the schedule more often. It might take a hard rule, but I'd make it so that the 9th conference game takes the place of the FCS opponent on everyone's current schedules. I'm ok with the money arrangement for Sun Belt or CUSA teams. But I do not see a reason to prop up any FCS teams, especially when these teams come in and look to intentionally injure our players. (I don't like propping up Group of 5 teams either. I can just accept it).
I think everyone’s fascination with the round robin system is that they believe Alabama would always get to Atlanta. While that is almost always going to be true it also makes the regular season mostly pointless. Ask yourself “ What good has it really done to beat Oklahoma in the regular season?” All it does is give a second chance for a team that most of the time doesn’t deserve it. Really how mad would everyone be if we beat Auburn at JHS undefeated, had a major injury, and get beat by a 3 loss Auburn team in Atlanta the next week? That’s what a round robin is going to be for Alabama. And no we aren’t getting rid of the SECCG. There is way too much money involved and the Big XII is currently playing a championship game with less than 12. So if we go to a round robin we will have a SECCG

But I think 9 game conference schedule plus a P5 and two G5 games could work. But it’s odd that everyone but Alabama votes against it yet they complain about us padding our schedule.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

But I think 9 game conference schedule plus a P5 and two G5 games could work. But it’s odd that everyone but Alabama votes against it yet they complain about us padding our schedule.
You’re expecting logic and consistent thought processes out of the rest of the SEC when it comes to trashing Alabama?

Reactions: uafanataum

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So with Virginia, you're making a play for the state and tv dollars. What is the real difference between the two when it comes to that? VTech has to have more numbers when it comes to tv dollars because their fans care more about the big dollar sports.
When I started saying I didn't like VT, VT was still experiencing a fairly high level of success in football. They're not now, and it shows. Their athletic department as a whole is still trailing and that means fans as a whole are more engaged with Virginia athletics. VT attendance in football is better, but it isn't great. They are at 58K, which is Miss. St. and Missouri territory. Clearly at this point adding VT wouldn't be as a football power, but just because their fans care a bit more about football (Virginia has about 10K less attendance).

Here's the thing though, Virginia fans are accustomed to Virginia sucking at football. So the Virginia we see now is what the SEC would get. VT is still coasting on the Beamer years, I asked before what we'd get post Beamer. Well, I think we know now. They're 38-26 without Beamer and attendance is down 5K from a few years ago (and down more than that from their peak). VT and Virginia would both be at the bottom of the SEC in football, the difference being Virginia would offer more while doing it.

I would add though that with the SEC Network being a big part of all of this, success in other sports means a lot more than it used to. That's where I think Virginia has clear separation. I wouldn't see either as being the centerpiece of an expansion though.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’d offer Clemson and sit back and watch them make excuses why they don’t want to join
I know why you said that, but it's really not Clemson's fault they've got it so easy. There should be at least be a handful of ACC schools challenging them. The fact that FSU can't figure out how to move forward is baffling with all the talent in Florida.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know why you said that, but it's really not Clemson's fault they've got it so easy. There should be at least be a handful of ACC schools challenging them. The fact that FSU can't figure out how to move forward is baffling with all the talent in Florida.
If it wasn't for Dabo's whining I would agree with you. Since Dabo is such a whiner, I blame him - for everything.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If Oklahoma ever left for the SEC it would be interesting how it would impact Texas. It would leave the Big 12 in a mess to lose either one of those two. It would decimate the Big12 just as losing Virginia and NC would do the same for the ACC.
I'm no Longhorn fan but the idea of Texas losing their lapdog is just sad. I can just see all the pictures of their lost little friend in the crowd on ESPN's Gameday.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
No it isn't their fault...............but Clemson has proclaimed they will play anyone, so stepping up to a greater challenge shouldn't be an issue, should it?

TIDETOWN

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 5, 2007
Realistically were not in play for most of these schools we are discussing, if I'm not mistaken we made a play for Florida St and they chose the ACC. The SEC can be a little arrogant when it comes to athletics particularly football, but most of these preferred schools value the academic reputation of these schools at least as much. The academic reputation of the Big Ten, ACC and Pac 10 is superior to the SEC. My guess is maybe NC ST which is actually the largest enrollment in the Carolina's would possibly be a good choice and I still like Virginia Tech. Remember by becoming a member of the SEC any of these schools will receive the SEC bump much like Texas A&M. I suspect aristocrats like Duke, North Carolina or Virginia would not be caught dead in the SEC. Clemson would be a player but their is no chance that gets bye with SC in the conference. Cincinnati is intriguing with the market but the geographical foot print is different and would need changing. I see advantages and disadvantages to many of these schools. Many fans originally did not feel that Texas A&M fit in the SEC, Texas is now one of our most fertile recruiting areas. For the most part I feel good at 14 schools and yes a 9 game conference schedule would be greatly appreciated by season ticket holders. If expansion is inevitable I feel that it will probably come from the afore mentioned schools, NC ST, WV, VT,OK,OK ST,CINCY. 2 cents worth.​

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
If two were added (and I hope they aren’t), I would say that UNC and UV would be most advantageous across the board. Personally, I would rather have Duke or Wake out of Carolina and VaTech from Virginia. I’d also love to see Tulane readmitted just to tick off the corn dogs.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not getting the love for NC State. Yes, it gets us into a new state. But they are a basketball first school but only the #3 program (at best) in the state and mediocre in football.

I wouldn’t mind Virginia Tech but I don’t think they bring that much to the table. Another little brother barner trying to escape big brother’s shadow.

I would oppose a G5 call up. UCF doesn’t bring a new market although it would be fun to have Gus back.

Cincinnati gets us into a new state and we bump into the Buckeyes. But do that many people care about Cincinnati football? In the fall I suspect sports bars in Cincinnati are either watching Ohio State or the Reds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.