Your Personal Top Ten After Week 3

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Two notes on my ratings: where it comes to the TOP of the rankings, a defending champion holds the position until that team is beaten REGARDLESS. Doesn't matter how good or bad they look, to BE the man you gotta BEAT the man. I was the same way in 2011 when it was clear Auburn was not near as good with Cam Newton as they were with him.

Teams 2-10 in my rankings are based on WHAT THEY HAVE DONE, not where I think they will finish in December. So I will ignore anyone who says, "Are you kidding, Oklahoma would ROLL Iowa!" because that's not what this is.

1) Alabama - still has not lost. The end.

2) Penn State - it's hard to argue with the fact they've beaten two decent teams.

3) Georgia - some of the shine came off that Clemson win when Tech held them to 14.

4) Oregon - after Fresno knocked off UCLA, this helps the Ducks. And yeah they were lucky, but they beat Ohio State.

5) Ole Miss - like it or not, they were a whole lot better against Tulane than Oklahoma was. Yeah, they beat Austin Peay, but they also had no trouble with Louisville. Based on what they've done, I don't see how you can rank OU ahead of Ole Miss right now, even if you think OU would beat them.

6) Iowa - I don't think they stay here, but they've looked good against two decent teams and...Kent St.

7) Oklahoma - has not played a decent team and has not looked very good doing it. Scraping by Tulane and Nebraska do not instill confidence.

8) Ohio State - still a team with some issues (like, well, everyone at this point), Ohio State did beat what appears to be a decent Minnesota team when the Gophers were at full strength, and it's not like they got blown out by Oregon. The win over Minny puts them one spot ahead of...

9) Florida - who has beaten nobody good but went toe-to-toe with number one and outplayed them for the bulk of the final three quarters. The Bucks rank above the Gators solely due to the fact Minnesota is better than anyone UF has played thus far.

10) Notre Dame - here we go again. The Irish are probably - again - gonna run the table with a bunch of narrow escapes and make the playoff by virtue of being undefeated (which is defensible).Then they're going to face Alabama or Florida or Georgia or Ohio State or Oklahoma and get absolutely slaughtered. They've escaped three mediocre foes by 3, 3, and 14 points. Purdue had more total yards, more first downs, and was slightly better on 3rd down conversions. The Irish only led by 7 until there was 6:05 left in the game. Florida and Ohio State were more impressive in their losses to good teams than ND has been in their wins against lousy ones.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
You could argue TAMU in the top 10 IF their starter wasn’t out. I’d feel more comfortable with Cincy in the top 10 if it were basketball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You could argue TAMU in the top 10 IF their starter wasn’t out. I’d feel more comfortable with Cincy in the top 10 if it were basketball.
I may pay the piper on this one, but I'm STILL not overly impressed with ATM. Sure, they may beat us, but they scraped by an underwhelming Colorado in their only big game so far.

Right now, I'd rank Arkansas and Ole Miss both ahead of ATM, QB or no QB.

Of course that's just my opinion, I COULD be wrong.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I may pay the piper on this one, but I'm STILL not overly impressed with ATM. Sure, they may beat us, but they scraped by an underwhelming Colorado in their only big game so far.

Right now, I'd rank Arkansas and Ole Miss both ahead of ATM, QB or no QB.

Of course that's just my opinion, I COULD be wrong.
If TAMU doesn’t get their starter back it’s likely moot. They rung up some point last night with the backup, but it was New Mexico. Stephen F Austin or Sam Houston St would have been a better opponent.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Oregon
5. Iowa
6. Texas A&M
7. Cincinnati
8. Penn State
9. Ohio State
10. Florida

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Two notes on my ratings: where it comes to the TOP of the rankings, a defending champion holds the position until that team is beaten REGARDLESS. Doesn't matter how good or bad they look, to BE the man you gotta BEAT the man. I was the same way in 2011 when it was clear Auburn was not near as good with Cam Newton as they were with him.

Teams 2-10 in my rankings are based on WHAT THEY HAVE DONE, not where I think they will finish in December. So I will ignore anyone who says, "Are you kidding, Oklahoma would ROLL Iowa!" because that's not what this is.

2) Penn State - it's hard to argue with the fact they've beaten two decent teams.

3) Georgia - some of the shine came off that Clemson win when Tech held them to 14.

4) Oregon - after Fresno knocked off UCLA, this helps the Ducks. And yeah they were lucky, but they beat Ohio State.

5) Ole Miss - like it or not, they were a whole lot better against Tulane than Oklahoma was. Yeah, they beat Austin Peay, but they also had no trouble with Louisville. Based on what they've done, I don't see how you can rank OU ahead of Ole Miss right now, even if you think OU would beat them.

6) Iowa - I don't think they stay here, but they've looked good against two decent teams and...Kent St.

7) Oklahoma - has not played a decent team and has not looked very good doing it. Scraping by Tulane and Nebraska do not instill confidence.

8) Ohio State - still a team with some issues (like, well, everyone at this point), Ohio State did beat what appears to be a decent Minnesota team when the Gophers were at full strength, and it's not like they got blown out by Oregon. The win over Minny puts them one spot ahead of...

9) Florida - who has beaten nobody good but went toe-to-toe with number one and outplayed them for the bulk of the final three quarters. The Bucks rank above the Gators solely due to the fact Minnesota is better than anyone UF has played thus far.

10) Notre Dame - here we go again. The Irish are probably - again - gonna run the table with a bunch of narrow escapes and make the playoff by virtue of being undefeated (which is defensible).Then they're going to face Alabama or Florida or Georgia or Ohio State or Oklahoma and get absolutely slaughtered. They've escaped three mediocre foes by 3, 3, and 14 points. Purdue had more total yards, more first downs, and was slightly better on 3rd down conversions. The Irish only led by 7 until there was 6:05 left in the game. Florida and Ohio State were more impressive in their losses to good teams than ND has been in their wins against lousy ones.
Since you made your predictions contingent upon certain factors, I have no issue with your Top 10.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since you made your predictions contingent upon certain factors, I have no issue with your Top 10.
That’s exactly why I explained it. I’ll still get some “oh this team would kill this one” but at least they’ve been told.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Because I cannot think of any better teams, I will say I agree with your top 10.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me answer one possible objection: Nebraska as a rivalry game with OU. Uh, no. They USED TO BE a rivalry game but they hadn’t played since the Nebraska seniors were in elementary school. Alabama vs Auburn is a rivalry; OU-UN is not.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
1. UGA Best win so far.
2. Oregon 2nd-best win so far.
3. Bama Reigning champ should count for something...
4. Iowa
5. Ole Miss Hitting on all cylinders. Nobody wants to play 'em.
6. aTm Defense looks good.
7. Penn State Can't argue with their results so far.
8. Florida Best loss.
9. Okla. This is more a vote on what I think is their potential rather than what they've showed so far.
10 Arky Another team nobody wants to play.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Oregon
4. Penn State
5. Ole Miss
6. Iowa
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida
9. Ohio State
10. Cincinnati

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't want to be ripping on ANYONE, so nobody take this personally, okay?

Georgia - I'm sorry, but tell me WHOM they've beaten. I mean it. Yeah, they held Clemson to three points but Georgia Tech held them to 14. Kennesaw St scored more points on Tech than Clemson did. Now, I'm not saying it's NOT important, it is. But have they REALLY beaten anyone yet? They've beaten a big name of a few years ago - although that same name has been blown out in the CFP even more than Notre Dame has the last two years. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying their reputation to this point is based on beating a team's reputation from 3-5 years ago.

Cincinnati - again, whom have they beaten? Indiana was good last year, but we don't know. What's amazing is that if Cincy beats the Irish team that's been struggling for wins, it'll be a feather in their cap but if Notre Dame wins, Cincy suddenly isn't a big deal anymore.

Oklahoma - a team that wouldn't know its preseason reputation as the champion in waiting if they met it on the street. Survived Tulane. Survived Rebuilding Since We Fired Frank Solich Nebraska. Spencer Rattled so far is the most overhyped Heisman winner (he'll get it because Oklahoma) since Denard Robinson won it in September 2010 and lost it to Cam Newton in a two-game span.

Penn State - has not really looked overly impressive but has beaten two quality foes. How good, we'll find out in a few weeks.

Oregon - their win over Ohio State took a slight hit this weekend with the Tulsa struggle and Stony Brook is about like playing Pool Shark Tech. But Fresno beating UCLA suggests maybe Fresno is better than we thought, which alters the view of how we look at Oregon's win over them. (Plus, we have to consider the Ducks might well have been looking ahead; it happens).

Although we can argue about the level of competition, Ole Miss HAS looked impressive, Oregon has, and Iowa has on one side of the ball.

Reactions: tlockwood

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I have to agree with Selma....
BUT
I don't know if any one team has looked overly dominant so far. It seems the competition for many of the teams seems to be lack luster.

Clemson does not look like a title contender nor does Oklahoma or Notre Dame. Ohio St has struggled in every game Penn St has won but not, like our win on Saturday, it hasn't been pretty.

I think we have to look and say are the polls ranking the best teams, or are they ranking the best teams based on their past?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think we have to look and say are the polls ranking the best teams, or are they ranking the best teams based on their past?
Polls consider coaching as well as players, so past performance is a pretty good indicator of future results. So, yeah, it is all backwards looking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.