Global Warming: Opinions and Politics

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
As I and others have said before, every man, woman and child in America suddenly generate no pollution, and it wouldn't make any difference. The more than 2,000,000,000 Chinese and Indians are the first to say "hello."
I agree with your proposal that the US and Europe should strive to establish a viable alternatives to pollutive fuel sources, and then spread those options to developing countries that would otherwise be mired in fossil fuels for decades. There are no national boundaries that divide our atmosphere, after all.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I like the folks who buy the hybrids (helping the enviroment). I wonder where they think the energy comes from to charge the batteries when they plug the car into the receptacle?
I imagine that nearly all hybrid-owners know it comes from a far more efficient source than in-vehicle combustion.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I agree with your proposal that the US and Europe should strive to establish a viable alternatives to pollutive fuel sources, and then spread those options to developing countries that would otherwise be mired in fossil fuels for decades. There are no national boundaries that divide our atmosphere, after all.
Yep, ethanol is great. Government solutions win.

Bama4Ever831

All-American
Sep 13, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
There is a difference between things you can control and things you can't control, no? Let me know when China, India, Russia, etc. play ball.

And the solution was ethanol, right? I was forced to give up some wealth for the greater good. The problem has been solved.
I have NEVER agreed with ethanol. It was merely a subsidy to help the corn farmers of America. And I agree we can't control it now, but as technology improves we one day will. Will you be on board then? The only problem is that we need to start working towards this end now rather than in 50 years or the technology will never improve.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I have NEVER agreed with ethanol. It was merely a subsidy to help the corn farmers of America.
Kudos to you, sir. The first lefty on this thread that admits ethanol was a government lie. It does not work and is actually harmful to the environment. So when are going to get rid of this expensive fraud? Never.

And I agree we can't control it now, but as technology improves we one day will. Will you be on board then? The only problem is that we need to start working towards this end now rather than in 50 years or the technology will never improve.
One day there will be a better option, and it will be one that makes sense in the market not in the empty skull of a bureaucrat. Of course, that solution is being delayed because we are being forced to spend time and money on fraudulent solutions like ethanol.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
And the solution was ethanol, right? I was forced to give up some wealth for the greater good. The problem has been solved.
Yep, ethanol is great. Government solutions win.
The first lefty on this thread that admits ethanol was a government lie.
Can you actually come up with a quote showing that someone on this board supports ethanol additives? How about a multitude of them from different posters, as would be necessary to transform your strawman into a valid point?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Can you actually come up with a quote showing that someone on this board supports ethanol additives? How about a multitude of them from different posters, as would be necessary to transform your strawman into a valid point?
I remember it being trumpeted as a solution here and nationally. It was all the rage on a 60 Minutes piece. I thought it was all a lie, and that's exactly what it is. And that's the point: the government lied. Why would you keep believing a liar?

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I imagine that nearly all hybrid-owners know it comes from a far more efficient source than in-vehicle combustion.
More efficient and higher emmisions. 49% of the U.S. electrical consumption comes from coal fired power plants. Cars emmisions don't hold a candle to the emmisions of a coal burner.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I remember it being trumpeted as a solution here
Forgive me, but I don't. Maybe this was before my time, but can you supply a actual link demonstrating the widespread support here?

Either that or you can drop the strawman, I suppose.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
More efficient and higher emmisions. 49% of the U.S. electrical consumption comes from coal fired power plants. Cars emmisions don't hold a candle to the emmisions of a coal burner.
I don't understand your point. It's a more efficient way to power the car--the fact that coal plants are so widely used is entirely irrelevant.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Forgive me, but I don't. Maybe this was before my time, but can you supply a actual link demonstrating the widespread support here?

Either that or you can drop the strawman, I suppose.
Strawman? Ethanol wasn't trumpeted by Gore and every other environmental pimp as a solution? I remember several on this board who championed the idea. That it was before your time or that you don't recall it falls is under the broad and deep category of "not my problem."

And the point is that the government lied and you want to everyone to buy into the next lie. Go be a fool on your own dime.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I don't understand your point. It's a more efficient way to power the car--the fact that coal plants are so widely used is entirely irrelevant.
Without the power coming from these plants, there would be no way to charge the batteries on these cars. Say every person in the U.S. goes green and buys a hybrid. That's 308 million cars x2 because most U.S. families have 2 vehicles. How much energy do you suppose it's going to take to keep these cars charged all the time? My point is your going to swap auto emmisions for power plant emmisions.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
If you think my observation was wrong, don't dance around. Disagree like a man, maaan.
I think your observation was spot on. So what? You're trying to prove to us with a couple of polls that birds of a feather flock together? My two year olds can tell you that. The topic, in this case climate change, doesn't matter. Do you think you would have polarized opinions on gay if you asked those same two groups polled about gay?

Tell me what those polls mean to you. What do you infer from them? Enlighten us, ol enlightened one.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Without the power coming from these plants, there would be no way to charge the batteries on these cars. Say every person in the U.S. goes green and buys a hybrid. That's 308 million cars x2 because most U.S. families have 2 vehicles. How much energy do you suppose it's going to take to keep these cars charged all the time? My point is your going to swap auto emmisions for power plant emmisions.
It's amazing how many people are tricked by this simple Washington shell game.

Bama4Ever831

All-American
Sep 13, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's amazing how many people are tricked by this simple Washington shell game.
Not really a game. That is a real problem that I have expressed here before. Hybrids really aren't more green. They do reduce our foreign fuel consumption. We need a NEW energy economy. One not based on oil. Everything that we use or buy is pretty much made from crude oil. We have to transform our whole economy. This process will take decades. All pharmaceuticals, plastics, electricity, chemicals, etc are made from oil derivatives and everything else is transported or created using coal or oil power. This is not a situation where we can just buy a hybrid and claim we are now green. It is not that simple.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Not really a game. That is a real problem that I have expressed here before. Hybrids really aren't more green. They do reduce our foreign fuel consumption. We need a NEW energy economy. One not based on oil. Everything that we use or buy is pretty much made from crude oil. We have to transform our whole economy. This process will take decades. All pharmaceuticals, plastics, electricity, chemicals, etc are made from oil derivatives and everything else is transported or created using coal or oil power. This is not a situation where we can just buy a hybrid and claim we are now green. It is not that simple.
It's all about hemp, my brother. ;)

Latest threads