Game Thread: Super Bowl L

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Product-Placement Peyton has never been so blatantly brand-promoting as he was last night. You've just won the Super Bowl, emotions are soaring, and when asked how you're going to spend your evening your answer is "a whole lotta Budweiser." Come on man. He even made sure to say it again on the podium so everyone heard it.

Sometimes I think Peyton Manning loves commercials more than football. A couple of days after he got embarrassed in the Super Bowl by that Seahawks defense, he's already got another Nationwide commercial comin out. You guys need to prepare for the influx of Peyton Manning commercials that is about to flood the market. Papa John's, DirecTV, Nationwide, no commercial break will be safe from Product-Placement Peyton.
It makes a little difference since Manning owns several Distributorships. Still not right, but people do like to brag about their products. Peyton's commercials don't bother me.
I kind of like his Nationwide commercials. Expect 'Broncos Just won the Super Bowl',
then maybe 'I just retired, what will I do'... ('Eli's look just made my day')
They are laughable, that's why I enjoy em.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I got that. It is still a false concept.
Oh, I agree - just not blaming Cam for it. It is a pretty commonly used phrase because such an influential figure "penned" it. Many agree with the thought, not giving it enough thought.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The problem with Cam's quote of "You show me a good/sore loser and I'll show you a loser" is it is simply a false concept.
Like I said, I wouldn't handle it the way he did, as I was raised differently as well. But the reality is that he's simply expected to say a few things because we've come to expect it. He was hurting because he lost and he wears his emotions on his sleeve.

To be fair, my general animosity for modern sports journalists is probably affecting how I feel about this, but if I didn't feel like answering the idiotic, third-grade level questions the reporters asked, all while listening to a player from the winning team bellowing from about five feet away, I'd probably walk out, too.

Look, Cam is lightning rod for Bama fans, I get that. And his explanation was basically just a narcissist rambling about himself, but the reality is I might well have stood up and walked out in that same situation.

Does that mean Cam isn't an immature brat? Nope. It just means in this case, I can understand his action.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The problem I have is that some want us to except Cam, as excepting a new culture. But he doesn't represent the best of any culture imo. So excepting his personality is lowering your standards of what makes someone good throughout our history back 2 thousand years. Humility in defeat, that there is something always greater than a game, even war. It's about other people, not yourself, and Cam preaches it's about Cam.
Wondering if you meant accept or except. Except as in making an exception, or accept as in, consent.

Usually appreciate what you have to say, hope you will clarify on this one.

In Scrams' case, maybe they both apply. :wink:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Like I said, I wouldn't handle it the way he did, as I was raised differently as well. But the reality is that he's simply expected to say a few things because we've come to expect it. He was hurting because he lost and he wears his emotions on his sleeve.

To be fair, my general animosity for modern sports journalists is probably affecting how I feel about this, but if I didn't feel like answering the idiotic, third-grade level questions the reporters asked, all while listening to a player from the winning team bellowing from about five feet away, I'd probably walk out, too.

Look, Cam is lightning rod for Bama fans, I get that. And his explanation was basically just a narcissist rambling about himself, but the reality is I might well have stood up and walked out in that same situation.

Does that mean Cam isn't an immature brat? Nope. It just means in this case, I can understand his action.
Are you suggesting that if the reporters asked better questions that Cam would have stayed? There may have been a reason they were asking him third-grade level questions..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
THIS. I am able to identify so much with this. The thing with that moment, right after the game, is that it isn't just some casual Week 6 post-game interview where only your diehard fans are watching to hear what you say. This was a time for him to truly be a leader and a beacon to all his team's fans and supporters. To take it on the chin and vow to work harder and be back next year to capture the win. Everybody who rooted for the Panther's (and everybody who watched the game) was watching him and looking for something to hold onto. I would feel disappointed and ashamed after that conference if I was a Panther's fan (I'm more masochistic and cheer for the Saints). Feel however you need to - but the truth is, you are paid to play an emotional game and you are paid to be the face of this program and you are expected to set an example that your teammates, your fans, and kids can aspire too.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No idea. I doubt it, but there's no way the stupid questions they always ask helped.
I agree but these are 2 separate issues IMO. Cam Newton, or any player in the NFL, is a paid professional and contractually obligated to provide the media availability at certain times - one of those times being after a game. This is why last year Marshawn Lynch (of the Seahawks) showed up to his press conference and answered every question with the statement, "I'm just here so I don't get fined." I'm not saying that what Marshawn did is better than what Cam did but at least he showed up and made his appearance for the allotted time. The point you raise about the media asking inane questions is legitimate. However, the media obligation isn't contingent on the quality of question being asked..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wondering if you meant accept or except. Except as in making an exception, or accept as in, consent.

Usually appreciate what you have to say, hope you will clarify on this one.

In Scrams' case, maybe they both apply. :wink:
Yes, definitely accept. Thanks for the clarification. I accept that I made a blunder except I give partial blame to ADHD!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No idea. I doubt it, but there's no way the stupid questions they always ask helped.

I agree with the thought, but I don't think that the inane questions caused him to walk out after the SB. Sounded like it was what he was hearing in the Broncos presser (which could be easily overheard in the Cam interview) that got him to walk out. Not excusing him, but I don't want to put this one on the press, either.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the radio guys in Montgomery, players only have 15 minutes after the end of the game before meeting with the media compared to the hour they have after any other game.

If that is true, I could understand Cam not still being "cooled down." He still has to handle it better than he did, though.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
According to the radio guys in Montgomery, players only have 15 minutes after the end of the game before meeting with the media compared to the hour they have after any other game.

If that is true, I could understand Cam not still being "cooled down." He still has to handle it better than he did, though.
I think the fumble is what we will remember him for in the Super Bowl, and that the hoodie interview will be forgotten, due to age. But not jumping on that ball is defining to the core.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the fumble is what we will remember him for in the Super Bowl, and that the hoodie interview will be forgotten, due to age. But not jumping on that ball is defining to the core.
Unless he wins a SB, I probably won't remember him for his NFL career. I still think of him as a college QB.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Unless he wins a SB, I probably won't remember him for his NFL career. I still think of him as a college QB.
That's good to know from someone else, because in reality, he was about to be proclaimed the "Face of the NFL" if he had won.

Never give up. This guy proved Cam wrong....... Cam says: We didn't lose Super Bowl because of one fumble.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I don't like Cam Newton. I don't like him for many reasons. His "PROTECT THIS HOUSE" flag and banner fiascos and on field antics when winning are very "JV'ish". His post game and off the field display when losing is pure elementary. That's my opinion which means absolutely nothing to him or the Panthers. I've even contemplated that his behavior at the postgame interview wasn't by design to keep himself in the spotlight.

He is however a freak of an athlete and one helluva football player. I'm impressed by that. He's succeeded when I expected him to fail. I credit him for his determination. I expect he'll use this loss and the general public view of his character as motivation in attempt to return to the SB. If he does I'll credit his fortitude for doing so. But I still won't like him. He's right as well that I don't have to like him. There are lots of people I don't like. There are lots of people that don't like me.

IMO Cam Newton will eventually fall out of favor with coaches and team mates. That may be sooner than later but that, IMO, depends on how long his coaching staff remains as a unit. He'll eventually be traded away and shuffled around for awhile and the spotlight will fade. That's when the demons will be released with vengeance. But, I could be wrong. Again.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

This is the crux of the entire debate. A NFL franchise player (especially a QB) is expected to conduct himself in certain manner, in the good times and the bad. Cam has failed on both ends. In the good times he's acted like an immature child and in bad times he's acted like an immature child. The interview in the back ground was disclosed on the NFL Network and there was nothing in that interview that warranted Cam getting up and walking out. The guy was not bashing the Panthers or anything. Nothing was said out of line.Cam is just a spoiled punk who has never had to grow up and handle things like an adult and now he's getting called out on it by more than just Bama fans. Every NFL player is subjected to idiotic third grade level questions from the media. But somehow they find a way to adult their way through them like the teams that are paying them expect them to do. He is no exception and according to the reaction this week from former players (and the media) he's not going to get a pass on this. When he was doing the interviews (before him walking out) his body language and mannerisms looked a lot like my 10 year old daughter when she sulks and pouts. The walking out just put the icing on the cake as to the true colors of Cam Newton. He's a spoiled arrogant kid trapped inside of a man's body that just happens to be blessed with exceptional elite talent.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.