Game Thread: Super Bowl L

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Product-Placement Peyton has never been so blatantly brand-promoting as he was last night. You've just won the Super Bowl, emotions are soaring, and when asked how you're going to spend your evening your answer is "a whole lotta Budweiser." Come on man. He even made sure to say it again on the podium so everyone heard it.

Sometimes I think Peyton Manning loves commercials more than football. A couple of days after he got embarrassed in the Super Bowl by that Seahawks defense, he's already got another Nationwide commercial comin out. You guys need to prepare for the influx of Peyton Manning commercials that is about to flood the market. Papa John's, DirecTV, Nationwide, no commercial break will be safe from Product-Placement Peyton.
No different than Michael Jordan, Mickey Mantle, Joe Namath, Brett Favre, Shaq.....if not Peyton, someone else will.........

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Product-Placement Peyton has never been so blatantly brand-promoting as he was last night. You've just won the Super Bowl, emotions are soaring, and when asked how you're going to spend your evening your answer is "a whole lotta Budweiser." Come on man. He even made sure to say it again on the podium so everyone heard it.
Guessing your hate for Peyton won't let you accept a Budweiser spokesperson saying that was completely unscripted or planned and caught them by surprise, too.

Sometimes I think Peyton Manning loves commercials more than football. A couple of days after he got embarrassed in the Super Bowl by that Seahawks defense, he's already got another Nationwide commercial comin out.
I'm sure he told the Nationwide PR staff when they could run that ad, too.:rolleyes:

You guys need to prepare for the influx of Peyton Manning commercials that is about to flood the market. Papa John's, DirecTV, Nationwide, no commercial break will be safe from Product-Placement Peyton.
Good thing my TV provides me the ability to change the channel. You might want to upgrade to one that has that function.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Guessing your hate for Peyton won't let you accept a Budweiser spokesperson saying that was completely unscripted or planned and caught them by surprise, too.

I'm sure he told the Nationwide PR staff when they could run that ad, too.:rolleyes:

Good thing my TV provides me the ability to change the channel. You might want to upgrade to one that has that function.
Heck, if I was him I would've bought a lot of stock in their company a week before the game, then dropped their name a few times in the post-game. Maybe that's exactly what he did.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Sometimes I think Peyton Manning loves commercials more than football. A couple of days after he got embarrassed in the Super Bowl by that Seahawks defense, he's already got another Nationwide commercial comin out. You guys need to prepare for the influx of Peyton Manning commercials that is about to flood the market. Papa John's, DirecTV, Nationwide, no commercial break will be safe from Product-Placement Peyton.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm more annoyed and appalled in his choice of drink rather than him talking about it.
Just go to the sideline and get a cup of water dude. Same thing.

Anyway, I think most people are pleased with the way this Superbowl turned out in some form or fashion. Either you like Peyton and are glad to see him win, or you dislike him and are glad that he just played in his last game, or you dislike Cam Newton and took IMMENSE schadenfreude in his delightfully inept performance.

Everyone wins. Even Budweiser. :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest gripe I had with Cam's play was his dive away from the ball on the fumble. That lack of effort was pretty unfortunate considering the stakes. The poor showing during the post-game conference is distracting the media from a play that contributed greatly to him being in that circumstance after the game.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The biggest gripe I had with Cam's play was his dive away from the ball on the fumble. That lack of effort was pretty unfortunate considering the stakes. The poor showing during the post-game conference is distracting the media from a play that contributed greatly to him being in that circumstance after the game.
Stepped away from that sucker like it was a hot laptop. Glad there were no windows nearby.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Your right; who else would have done that? I have no idea what he was thinking unless it was that it was an incomplete pass. But the game is on the line. It looked like a Roberto Duran to me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he had jumped on that ball and got injured, even in a loss, he would have at least been respected for trying.

For now, this is his legacy. For his sake, hopefully he get's to redeem himself in the future.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think it is all over for Cam Newton. This could be informative for him. Plus, they get Benjamin back at WR next year and that should help the big weakness Denver exploited all night. The Panthers had a receiving group predicated on getting vertical off play action and they just didn't have the time to let it develop for most of the game. Denver's pass rush was too good and their corners were more than good enough to avoid just getting blown up off the snap for an easy throw and catch.

The teams that gave Denver's defense the most trouble had multiple options at receiver/TE and guys who could either win off the snap consistently or simply body their corners up in a 1-on-1 matchup. Ginn and Brown weren't really great route runners like Antonio Brown or some big body receiver who could just box out their DBs from a quick throw underneath (slants and the like). Getting Kelvin Benjamin back next year should really help their receiving corp. Brown and Ginn are solid #2 and #3 WRs, Olsen is a top tier TE, but they didn't have a mismatch guy like Benjamin this year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I don't think it is all over for Cam Newton. This could be informative for him. Plus, they get Benjamin back at WR next year and that should help the big weakness Denver exploited all night. The Panthers had a receiving group predicated on getting vertical off play action and they just didn't have the time to let it develop for most of the game. Denver's pass rush was too good and their corners were more than good enough to avoid just getting blown up off the snap for an easy throw and catch.

The teams that gave Denver's defense the most trouble had multiple options at receiver/TE and guys who could either win off the snap consistently or simply body their corners up in a 1-on-1 matchup. Ginn and Brown weren't really great route runners like Antonio Brown or some big body receiver who could just box out their DBs from a quick throw underneath (slants and the like). Getting Kelvin Benjamin back next year should really help their receiving corp. Brown and Ginn are solid #2 and #3 WRs, Olsen is a top tier TE, but they didn't have a mismatch guy like Benjamin this year.
Needs at least one more. Hopefully Funchess continues his steady improvement.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hey AUDub.......sorry for your loss, man.

No love here for Cam but wanted to give you a shout out for being a good guy.

How'd your head feel this morning? :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Do we know if Cam can really take advantage of the improved receiver corps next season?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I surely don't know...I don't think their lackluster WR corp hurt them until they ran into a buzzsaw.

And to be clear, they could've had prime Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there and I'm not sure it would make a difference. Can't catch passes when your QB is horizontal or running for his life.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't think it is all over for Cam Newton.
By no means, he was about to be proclaimed "The face of the NFL" by the media, and the only reason they are on his arse is because he didn't answer their questions, temporary. And all this stuff about race is getting old. It's cultural. Who doesn't like Malcolm Butler? Most people in the south prefer humility and discipline of character, like Butler. You cannot make someone like someone that is the opposite of the traits that are deep in your DNA just because he's a great athlete. CULTURAL not race.

He will have redemption, but just like Tebow, who I like, he will always have a segment that just doesn't like his rub in your face or withdrawal during a loss attitude. What's scary is that he is teaching bad sportsmanship, but definition, to our youth. But maybe that will be the norm in 20 years, hope not. Chivalry will be forgotten.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I wish all the apologists had been there for my Little League hissy fit. Maybe they could have convinced my mama not to whup my butt. Nah, I needed my tail tore up and I got it. That's what Cam needed last night.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
LOL - Walk out on the press and you get roasted. Not that he didn't deserve it, but someone needs to talk to him about consequences. If he wants to be liked and respected as more than an athlete, he is going to have to grow up.
I think he just learned last night that being adored is not a birthright.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.