Apartment Building Collapsed Near Miami

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All these other buildings in trouble didn't surprise me at all. When the first one fell, it occurred to me that there was a building culture which had probably taken hold and others were also cutting corners and other corners were being cut on maintenance. We haven't seen the end of this...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All these other buildings in trouble didn't surprise me at all. When the first one fell, it occurred to me that there was a building culture which had probably taken hold and others were also cutting corners and other corners were being cut on maintenance. We haven't seen the end of this...
I think that this will now also be used to help empty some buildings that were scheduled to be replaced with newer construction. I read about on such complex in Miami - they have about a dozen residents left in the space. It is now empty because of structural damage and the new project can begin.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I wonder why we are only hearing about these in the Miami area? :unsure:
They must exist elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I wonder why we are only hearing about these in the Miami area? :unsure:
They muse exist elsewhere.
I agree, they are all over Florida and I would bet there are some older buildings in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores that have issues as well. They through threw these things up so fast in the last 50 years

edit: Through, really? Hate when I read posts later and see mistakes like this

Last edited:

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
Back in 1995 - 1997 when we were living in Homestead and rebuilding the AFB, the wife and I did a lot of site seeing and exploring. We both noticed that these beach high rises were definitely showing their age to put it mildly. At the same time we thought the area had an abundance of regulation - little did we know.

What is the saying in real estate? "Location, location, location."

Even sea level rising means less beach front footage.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I found this interesting. In this video he shows one theory on how this building could have collapsed. The task of determining what exactly happened will be daunting.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
It is indeed daunting and will take much time to determine the cause and process that resulted in this catastrophy.

Even then they will probably have some educated guesses. Lack of regulation enforcement is insidious.

As a 30 year plus civil servant, I have viewed the back push on regulation. When the over riding motif is profit, there will be shortcuts, shaving costs to promote increased profits, and more of the same.

Especially so, when science and the facts are ignored.

Reactions: seebell and 92tide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

A Miami Beach, Florida, condominium building was evacuated Thursday after a structural inspection, with residents given just hours to leave.

City officials posted an unsafe structure notice on the Port Royale building and said damage to a concrete beam in the parking garage prompted the order for residents to leave immediately, CNN affiliate WPLG.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

A Miami Beach, Florida, condominium building was evacuated Thursday after a structural inspection, with residents given just hours to leave.

City officials posted an unsafe structure notice on the Port Royale building and said damage to a concrete beam in the parking garage prompted the order for residents to leave immediately, CNN affiliate WPLG.
" Structural engineers also found “several areas of concern that were designated as a priority to be repaired” in an inspection 10 months ago, the inspection report said. A second inspection on October 27 revealed a half-inch deflection and that a crack marked for repair had “extended.” "

I assume that whatever that beam was supporting is also deflected.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
" Structural engineers also found “several areas of concern that were designated as a priority to be repaired” in an inspection 10 months ago, the inspection report said. A second inspection on October 27 revealed a half-inch deflection and that a crack marked for repair had “extended.” "

I assume that whatever that beam was supporting is also deflected.
I would hope that the residents were provided with eouigh notice so that their relocation could be done in a manageable manner.

Salt air works slowly on steel. I have replaced numerous steel screws/nails on my back screened porch. I am roughly 1/4 mile from Mobile Bay and have been here since 2004. The house was built in 1984.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I would hope that the residents were provided with eouigh notice so that their relocation could be done in a manageable manner.

Salt air works slowly on steel. I have replaced numerous steel screws/nails on my back screened porch. I am roughly 1/4 mile from Mobile Bay and have been here since 2004. The house was built in 1984.
Any cracked in the concrete will allow salt and moisture to reach the rebar and steel supports which will cause corrosion. Not sure how to repair stuff like that but I’m sure it’s expensive.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
These are multi-story concrete buildings in Miami on the beach or really close to it, with all the weather and salt air that goes with that location.

So serious question for our engineers: Is erosion of structural integrity over 40 years the result of:
— Poor construction techniques,
— Flawed and/or unenforced construction codes,
— Lack of proper maintenance, or
— Something to be expected and planned around

We have much taller structures this old or older in New York, Los Angeles, and other coastal cities that don’t seem to exhibit this sort of problem. Are they built differently? Maintained better?

Why do we not see degraded structural integrity there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bamaro

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
These are multi-story concrete buildings in Miami on the beach or really close to it, with all the weather and salt air that goes with that location.

So serious question for our engineers: Is erosion of structural integrity over 40 years the result of:
— Poor construction techniques,
— Flawed and/or unenforced construction codes,
— Lack of proper maintenance, or
— Something to be expected and planned around

We have much taller structures this old or older in New York, Los Angeles, and other coastal cities that don’t seem to exhibit this sort of problem. Are they built differently? Maintained better?

Why do we not see degraded structural integrity there?
Good question. Not sure, but cement is pourous so moisture will eventually reach embedded steel reinforcing and start the rusting process. The combination of heat and humidity may be greater in Miami than either NY or LA. So earlier rusting and failure of the renforcement may be happening.

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
Good question. Not sure, but cement is pourous so moisture will eventually reach embedded steel reinforcing and start the rusting process. The combination of heat and humidity may be greater in Miami than either NY or LA. So earlier rusting and failure of the renforcement may be happening.
Forensic engineering. It was on the tip of my tongue but eluded me for the last posting.

Here are links. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=forensic+enineering&t=ffab&ia=web

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.