Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There are signs popping up all over our city, specifically in the grocery and fast food industry stating "High schoolers encouraged to apply". Granted, I know the sign means LEGAL AGED teens (16) but it is the first time in the 27 years I've lived here that I've seen this being publicly advertised.

Reactions: seebell

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Probably because they'll work for less money.
They could have been doing that all along. I think since COVID, fewer "grown folks" are working these types of jobs and they are now going to HS kids to keep from being constantly understaffed. I see more high school kids working in grocery stores than I have in years. Which isn't a bad thing because at one time, those types of jobs were for high school kids trying to make money. Both of my parents worked at grocery stores after school and on weekends the majority of the time they were in high school. You didn't see a 35 year old single mom running the cash register trying to "make a living".

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It is stunning to see the party of "family values" and "protect the children" sloans show their true colors once again by encouraging the abusive employment of children to maximize profit. But what really changes?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It is stunning to see the party of "family values" and "protect the children" sloans show their true colors once again by encouraging the abusive employment of children to maximize profit. But what really changes?
I personally don’t find it stunning - it’s par for the course for Republicans. That’s what they do, that’s what they’ve done my whole adult life.
I got a kick out of their “great white hope” last night, bragging about four terms as governor of 1.3 million people and his “foundational belief in a free market economy”.
Two questions, guv: tax subsidies for oil companies and farmers, where do you stand?
You can’t be a 100% free market believer and support subsidies for either; contradiction in terms. He’d change the subject and start talking about all the good things he’s done in New Hampshire. If it’s so great, how come more people don’t live there, guv?
Republicans are, collectively, patently evil. Democrats, collectively, are terminally dumb.
Maybe ol’ GW was right to be against political parties.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the free hand of the market ain't gonna provide and endless supply of cheap labor all by itself now is it?

Reactions: Huckleberry

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Meh. Much ado about nothing. But, the faux outrage though .... top marks!
"The division should not require that a child under sixteen (16) years of age verify proof of their age through an employment certificate as a condition of employment."

This is exactly the kind of inane regulation erosion that allows companies plausible deniability to employ underage kids in dangerous jobs. "They said they were 16, we swear!". Or "The staffing company said these tweens were 16! Pinky swear!"

There's simply no REAL reason for this except to allow companies to skirt the rules and push kids into employment when they SHOULD be in school. And just like almost all regulations, it was put in place because of a real problem in the past, which was obviously abusive employment of children under 16.

Every generation seems to wants to remake the worst mistakes of their grandparent's generation as the lessons are so easily forgotten.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There's simply no REAL reason for this except to allow companies to skirt the rules and push kids into employment when they SHOULD be in school. And just like almost all regulations, it was put in place because of a real problem in the past, which was obviously abusive employment of children under 16.
I suspect that the real goal of the bill is to shift all of the burden of regulatory oversight to the Feds. So it reduces state expenses, drives up federal expenses, and making it easier for companies to skirt the rules because the GOP-controlled House will never approve a budget increase, even if it's to protect children.

Reactions: Huckleberry

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.