Bad cop, good cop stories, III

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had so little trust in law enforcement growing up. My dad was an attorney and watched cops lie on the stand. He knew they were lying and they knew he knew, but juries trusted the cop. He told me as a teenager to never trust them. Nothing has happened in my adult life to change that. I actually trust and respect them less and less. I’ve heard cops with my own ears joking about telling someone to stop resisting so they can get another hit in. It’s terrible.
First, I'm not a criminal lawyer, not even a trial lawyer, but I've had over 60 years of practice to observe and I had one close attorney friend, now deceased who had a LEO brother. He told me that his brother told him that, once they'd decided who was guilty, they would do whatever it took on the stand to make sure he was convicted. That's all I'll say...

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
First, I'm not a criminal lawyer, not even a trial lawyer, but I've had over 60 years of practice to observe and I had one close attorney friend, now deceased who had a LEO brother. He told me that his brother told him that, once they'd decided who was guilty, they would do whatever it took on the stand to make sure he was convicted. That's all I'll say...
Sounds like some corroborating testimony my dad would say amen to.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The Las Vegas Police Department is working to identify a passenger who filmed and posted a hit-and-run on social media that killed retired police chief Andreas Probst while he was riding his bicycle. The 17-year-old driver of the car is already in custody. Correspondent Elizabeth Prann joins "NewsNation Now" with the story, saying the passenger may also face charges for encouraging the driver.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Kevin Salazar is now under arrest for the alleged fatal shooting Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Ryan Clinkunbroomer as the deputy sat in his patrol car in Palmdale.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The Las Vegas Police Department is working to identify a passenger who filmed and posted a hit-and-run on social media that killed retired police chief Andreas Probst while he was riding his bicycle. The 17-year-old driver of the car is already in custody. Correspondent Elizabeth Prann joins "NewsNation Now" with the story, saying the passenger may also face charges for encouraging the driver.

"I'll be out in 30 days...." :rolleyes:

Throw 'em in Gen Pop and see how that works out....

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022

TOPEKA, Kan. – The police chief who led an August raid on a small weekly newspaper in central Kansas resigned Monday, just days after he was suspended from his post and following the release of body camera video of the raid showing an officer searching the desk of a reporter investigating the chief's past.

Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody's resignation was confirmed to The Associated Press both by Mayor Dave Mayfield and City Council member Ruth Herbel, following an announcement by Mayfield at Monday's council meeting. Mayfield had suspended Cody on Thursday for reasons that have not been made public. In a text message Monday night to the AP, he said he couldn't answer questions about the chief's resignation “as it is a personnel matter.”
I hope this guy gets arrested before all is said and done.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Both officers — who were tried together — had been charged with both crimes, as well as manslaughter. Mr. Roedema will be sentenced on Jan. 5.
First responders, including the police and paramedics, had placed Mr. McClain, 23, in a chokehold during a confrontation in Aurora, Colo., and injected him with a powerful sedative. He died in the hospital several days later. Three police officers and two paramedics were charged in his death, and are being tried in three separate trials. The joint trial of Mr. Roedema and Mr. Rosenblatt was the first.

The split verdict came as a shock among those who had been pushing for accountability since Mr. McClain’s death four years ago.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I just gotta say Aurora, CO is one dangerous place apparently...

Both officers — who were tried together — had been charged with both crimes, as well as manslaughter. Mr. Roedema will be sentenced on Jan. 5.
First responders, including the police and paramedics, had placed Mr. McClain, 23, in a chokehold during a confrontation in Aurora, Colo., and injected him with a powerful sedative. He died in the hospital several days later. Three police officers and two paramedics were charged in his death, and are being tried in three separate trials. The joint trial of Mr. Roedema and Mr. Rosenblatt was the first.

The split verdict came as a shock among those who had been pushing for accountability since Mr. McClain’s death four years ago.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
That's where guy dressed up like Batman and shot up the movie theater...

For those unfamiliar with the area, Aurora is a big, sprawling eastern suburb of Denver. Like most such places, it has bad areas and also very nice neighborhoods...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For those unfamiliar with the area, Aurora is a big, sprawling eastern suburb of Denver. Like most such places, it has bad areas and also very nice neighborhoods...
my brother's buddy was an officer there for a while. he shot and killed 3 perps in the span of about 1.5-2 years. he was on a gang unit and all three were dirtbags pulling a weapon on him. iirc, in one of the incidents, he was grazed by a round. he left policing for good after the 3rd incident.

he didn't have a lot nice to say about the area. i'm sure he was spending most/all of his time in the bad areas.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
A Philadelphia police officer was shot and killed and a second officer was wounded when they confronted people breaking into a car at Philadelphia International Airport, police said. Interim Police Commissioner John Stanford said the officers were arriving at work and were parked in the garage shortly after 11 p.m. when they saw several people breaking into a vehicle in the parking garage area.

• Sad
Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
update in the tyre nichols case

Out of the five former Memphis police officers criminally charged in the brutal beating of Tyre Nichols, one of them threw in the towel on the fight to prove his innocence. The former cop has now decided to plead guilty.
Along with his former colleagues, Mills originally pleaded not guilty to all charges. However, according to a recent court filing, Mills had a hearing set Thursday to change to a guilty plea on his federal charges, per NBC News. Each officer faces life in prison if convicted. Mills is looking at no more than 15 years in prison and no parole.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
update in the tyre nichols case

Out of the five former Memphis police officers criminally charged in the brutal beating of Tyre Nichols, one of them threw in the towel on the fight to prove his innocence. The former cop has now decided to plead guilty.
Along with his former colleagues, Mills originally pleaded not guilty to all charges. However, according to a recent court filing, Mills had a hearing set Thursday to change to a guilty plea on his federal charges, per NBC News. Each officer faces life in prison if convicted. Mills is looking at no more than 15 years in prison and no parole.
I'd like to credit him for being honorable in at least admitting guilt, but expect it was simply an effort to save his own bacon.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The attack happened at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, a medium-security prison that has been plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

• Wow
Reactions: Go Bama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.