News Article: Brian Kelly's Take on the future of the SEC

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Brian Kelly and LSU ready for national title without Jayden Daniels (usatoday.com)

“Kalen DeBoer is an outstanding football coach,” Kelly said of Saban’s heir. “His success is real. They hired somebody that, I think, creates the same kind of expectations at Alabama.”

No longer, though, does Saban directly impede Kelly’s championship quest.

Who’s the new face of the challenge?

“It’s Kirby Smart,” Kelly said.

Imitation is a college football coach’s highest compliment, and Kelly’s program-building blueprint for LSU resembles Smart’s method at Georgia. Kelly doesn’t covet Lane Kiffin’s “Portal King” throne. He’s intent on signing and developing recruits and using transfers to fill cracks.

I think Kelly is putting the cart before the horse with his Smart comment. Alabama with or w/o GOAT will still be LSU's nemesis.

Reactions: dathbama and Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Brian Kelly and LSU ready for national title without Jayden Daniels (usatoday.com)

“Kalen DeBoer is an outstanding football coach,” Kelly said of Saban’s heir. “His success is real. They hired somebody that, I think, creates the same kind of expectations at Alabama.”

Imitation is a college football coach’s highest compliment, and Kelly’s program-building blueprint for LSU resembles Smart’s method at Georgia. Kelly doesn’t covet Lane Kiffin’s “Portal King” throne. He’s intent on signing and developing recruits and using transfers to fill cracks.

I think Kelly is putting the cart before the horse with his Smart comment. Alabama with or w/o GOAT will still be LSU's nemesis.
I agree with him - for now. Smart has done more than any other active college football coach.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I am with you @B1GTide. He is the one with the blueprint. I hope Coach DeBoer supplants him quickly.
I think Kiffin who has won B2B 10-win season is more of a threat than Kelly. What Lane has done at Ole Miss is impressive. If he can adjust some of his in-game decision and stubbornness, this year's OM team could be his best chance to make the Playoffs. The game vs Georgia at Oxford this season will tell us both about these teams.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

So....2022 just doesn't exist then? Half of LSU's team was portal players...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think Kelly's fanbase will allow him to de-emphasize the Alabama game. With Saban gone the level of pure hatred might, MIGHT, ease off a click or two. But dem peoples is crazy.
Yeah, I think the angst around this game for them will drop quite a bit now that Saban is gone. It doesn't mean they'll become cordial or anything. Let's not get crazy! LOL! They'll still want to win the game and definitely will have it circled. It just won't be circled in blood anymore.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I think Kiffin who has won B2B 10-win season is more of a threat than Kelly. What Lane has done at Ole Miss is impressive. If he can adjust some of his in-game decision and stubbornness, this year's OM team could be his best chance to make the Playoffs. The game vs Georgia at Oxford this season will tell us both about these teams.
He should make the playoffs, have you seen that schedule it's pathetic, makes Georgia's look good, he should go 10-2, little luck 11-1

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kelly may be trying to de-emphasize the rivalry with Alabama a bit. Getting sky high for Bama has never worked for LSU. Make the Bulldogs the target instead of us. Not a bad strategy. We will see how it works out.
Not to derail, but I personally always thought we came into the LSU game too tight too. We almost never played a loose, free game and great execution. I think LSU was CNS's real rival (instead of you know who and I've mentioned this a hundred times as to how we never seemed prepared enough for Auburn).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not to derail, but I personally always thought we came into the LSU game too tight too. We almost never played a loose, free game and great execution. I think LSU was CNS's real rival (instead of you know who and I've mentioned this a hundred times as to how we never seemed prepared enough for Auburn).
I agree, LSU was Saban's rival. They were his "Auburn".

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Emph
I agree with your post. I was coming from an LSU point of view. Personally, I never thought coach Saban handle the Auburn game all that well. I know the record, but some of those wins were Cliff hangers.

Latest threads