Video: Career Highlights of One of My Favorite Players: Major Ogilvie

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
Ogilvie ran all over us (Coffee High) in the 1975 high school playoffs. So glad he went to Bama. He was fun to watch even though we lost. I think it was 50-20.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Didn't he play at Mountain Brook?
Yep. He played for Robert Higginbotham at Mountain Brook. Higginbotham played football at Hueytown, then went on to play for Coach Bryant at Alabama in the mid - 1960’s..

His younger brother Ry Ogilvie played at Vestavia and later at Alabama as well.

Reactions: bamadwain

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yep. He played for Robert Higginbotham at Mountain Brook. Higginbotham played football at Hueytown, then went on to play for Coach Bryant at Alabama in the mid - 1960’s..

His younger brother Ry Ogilvie played at Vestavia and later at Alabama as well.
I had no idea that Coach Higginbotham coached at Mountain Brook. He had a long career.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I had no idea that Coach Higginbotham coached at Mountain Brook. He had a long career.
It was kind of weird. Higg was an assistant at Banks for Shorty White. Higg took the head coaching position at Mountain Brook, then left to take head coach position at Shades Valley after a couple of years.

His father, Morris Higginbotham, was a heck of coach too.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It was kind of weird. Higg was an assistant at Banks for Shorty White. Higg took the head coaching position at Mountain Brook, then left to take head coach position at Shades Valley after a couple of years.

His father, Morris Higginbotham, was a heck of coach too.
Banks...hadn't heard that school mentioned in a long time. What school replaced them? Wasn't that where Tony Natham played?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Banks...hadn't heard that school mentioned in a long time. What school replaced them? Wasn't that where Tony Natham played?
Nathan played at Woodlawn at the same time Jeff Rutledge was playing at Banks. Banks was located over in the East Lake section of Birmingham. It closed as a high school but remained as a middle school in the Birmingham City system for a while.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Isn't there a movie about the Woodlawn team that features Natham?
The movie “Woodlawn” stars Caleb Castille, Jeremiah Castille’s son, as Tony Nathan. Caleb also played at Alabama as a DB for CNS.

The movie focuses on the issues of desegregation of Birmingham schools in the early 1970’s and the struggles associated. It brings to light how faith was at the forefront of the team’s transformation. It then “spilled over” into other surroundings schools (Banks included) and helped ease many of the racial tensions there.

The culmination is the 1974 Banks - Woodlawn game at Legion Field with Jeff Rutledge at QB for Banks and Nathan at RB for Woodlawn.

Banks won 18-7.

Side note: I was there. The kickoff was delayed almost an hour because of the huge walk up crowd. IIRC correctly, they only had a couple of ticket booths and gates open. The entire lower bowl of Legion Field was almost completely full. The crowd was estimated at about 42,000. They also estimate that another 15-20k “walked away” and went home because of the long lines to get tickets.

• Wow
Reactions: Con and BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The movie “Woodlawn” stars Caleb Castille, Jeremiah Castille’s son, as Tony Nathan. Caleb also played at Alabama as a DB for CNS.

The movie focuses on the issues of desegregation of Birmingham schools in the early 1970’s and the struggles associated. It brings to light how faith was at the forefront of the team’s transformation. It then “spilled over” into other surroundings schools (Banks included) and helped ease many of the racial tensions there.

The culmination is the 1974 Banks - Woodlawn game at Legion Field with Jeff Rutledge at QB for Banks and Nathan at RB for Woodlawn.

Banks won 18-7.

Side note: I was there. The kickoff was delayed almost an hour because of the huge walk up crowd. IIRC correctly, they only had a couple of ticket booths and gates open. The entire lower bowl of Legion Field was almost completely full. The crowd was estimated at about 42,000. They also estimate that another 15-20k “walked away” and went home because of the long lines to get tickets.
Wow, great story. Did Banks use Rutlege's arm? What was the difference in the game?

BTW, Tony Nathan is also one of my all time favorites too!

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wow, great story. Did Banks use Rutlege's arm? What was the difference in the game?

BTW, Tony Nathan is also one of my all time favorites too!
Most everything back then was two back pro-set or I formation and ground control. I do recall Jeff did have a touchdown pass in the win. Tony had over 100 yds rushing for Woodlawn.

Another side note: Tony Nathan was an unreal basketball player as well. I saw him play in a Christmas basketball tournament against some of best in Jefferson County and Birmingham city. Guy could have probably suited up for CM Newton too.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: BamaMoon

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Back to the topic of Ogilvie: Major was drafted by the 49ers in the 12th round. Major’s toughness was never in doubt. Guy was as tough as a pig’s nose. Big question was his overall lack of speed plus Major had been banged up some in his Alabama.
And even as a 12th rounder, Major was the very LAST player cut that year by Bill Walsh. A San Fran team that ended up winning the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
The "Good Ol' Days" when a well run Wishbone offense could make an offensive lineman feel like a fullback at every snap of the ball. Blocking Freight Trains a rollin' 😁

Reactions: dtgreg

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Is it just me or did those guys look like they were looking to hurt somebody when they ran with the ball? I don`t see the same thing today myself. JMHO, but I think players were just tougher back then, both physically and between the ears.
Remember, " The defense is playing like they think it`s a sin to give up a yard. "? That`s attitude and mental toughness ( along with pride....the good kind ).

Reactions: Con and Tidelines

Latest threads