College graduation….worse than High School

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
My son graduated yesterday from UAH. I have had gripes in the past about the yelling and being completely unaware that the ceremony isn’t just for one on the high school level. This one absolutely took the cake, chewed it up, spit it out and danced all over it.

People in the stands were screaming like their person had just unexpectedly been called in the NFL Draft. YOU PAID TO BE ABLE TO BE HERE! You would think this whole graduation thing was all a surprise. And it was long winded. If your graduate was behind one of those with buffoons in the stands screaming, you didn’t get to hear your persons name called because they drowned out the PA. And God forbid your person was near one of the ones who decided to pose or dance or do a choreographed dance with the person behind them in line, That just made things louder.
There was one girl I seriously came very close to yelling at to shut up. She made her way to the upper level balcony. She screamed like she was being abused, when her sisters name was called, when her sister got her diploma holder, when her sister shook the presidents hand, when her sister walked down the ramp and when her sister passed walking back to her seat. 3-4 people couldn’t hear their persons name called because of this one idiot.

What happened to the distinguished part of earning a degree? For the student and for the students family.

/endRant

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
My son graduated yesterday from UAH. I have had gripes in the past about the yelling and being completely unaware that the ceremony isn’t just for one on the high school level. This one absolutely took the cake, chewed it up, spit it out and danced all over it.

People in the stands were screaming like their person had just unexpectedly been called in the NFL Draft. YOU PAID TO BE ABLE TO BE HERE! You would think this whole graduation thing was all a surprise. And it was long winded. If your graduate was behind one of those with buffoons in the stands screaming, you didn’t get to hear your persons name called because they drowned out the PA. And God forbid your person was near one of the ones who decided to pose or dance or do a choreographed dance with the person behind them in line, That just made things louder.
There was one girl I seriously came very close to yelling at to shut up. She made her way to the upper level balcony. She screamed like she was being abused, when her sisters name was called, when her sister got her diploma holder, when her sister shook the presidents hand, when her sister walked down the ramp and when her sister passed walking back to her seat. 3-4 people couldn’t hear their persons name called because of this one idiot.

What happened to the distinguished part of earning a degree? For the student and for the students family.

/endRant
[/QUO
You can show the pride in your student's accomplishments without showing your backside. Stay classy and not you know what.

Reactions: GP for Bama

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I understand your frustration, AW.

Any idea of decorum in public settings (God forbid in legitimate, distinguished ones) is dead in large swaths of society. At the same time, the sense of entitlement within that same swath - and with it, the notion that one can act however he/she wants regardless of setting or context - seems to be on the rise. One could say that the two are inversely related.

Or perhaps I've simply become a curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 40.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I understand your frustration, AW.

Any idea of decorum in public settings (God forbid in legitimate, distinguished ones) is dead in large swaths of society. At the same time, the sense of entitlement within that same swath - and with it, the notion that one can act however he/she wants regardless of setting or context - seems to be on the rise. One could say that the two are inversely related.

Or perhaps I've simply become a curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 40.
I wouldn’t call it being a curmudgeon, I call it having been taught some respect for others, and remembering the lesson.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

/endRant
My wife graduated with her Master's from UAH in December. Same experience. Also, the Havoc were on a homestead, so they couldn't defrost the ice. They put rubber tiles on top of it, and the graduates sat there. It was FREEZING in there, especially for them sitting on a huge block of ice. We didn't know that would be the case.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm sorry a few classless obliviots wrecked your son's graduation.

Public conduct like this is why I haven't been to a movie theater on over 20 years. It's why I don't watch Gameday much. It's why I go to only a few small out-of-the-way watering holes that have almost nobody under 50.

Excuse me....I need to set up the chair in my garage, ice down my PBR, and get ready to yell at the dog-walkers to stay off my lawn.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Graduating from college is a big moment. But it’s not like this is some surprise. There is a long list of names they go through fairly quickly so some loud celebration means the next family can’t hear their kid’s name. This isn’t the NFL draft where there is a 10-15 minute break between announcements. The noise is even worse if you are in an indoor facility.

Reactions: AlistarWills

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's SO frustrating!

It's about NOT respecting others and it's about LOOK AT ME.

The sister yelling in the stands didn't do that for the one walking across the stage, she did it for attention to herself. It's the ME generation even if it is at another person's expense!

Reactions: AlistarWills

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I attended my daughter in laws graduation this past Saturday in Cincinnati. She earned her Masters Degree in Biology. 651 graduates walked across the stage, 2 graduates spoke, the president and provost spoke and of course the commencement speaker. In and out in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Overall, it was a well behaved crowd. There were two incidents where people acted like idiots when a graduate was announced.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
/BeginRant
Let me also add, they pointedly asked people to stand as they closed out the ceremony and to remain standing till the procession had completely filed out of the arena. A handful of people decided that didn’t mean them. So they started descending the stairs. Then a few more and a few more and before a third of the students had made their way out it looked like BDS at the beginning of the fourth quarter in a blowout. My wife and I stayed, and stood, till our son, and the last few people behind him had filed out. The stands were empty.
/endRant

• Emphasis!
Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
/BeginRant
Let me also add, they pointedly asked people to stand as they closed out the ceremony and to remain standing till the procession had completely filed out of the arena. A handful of people decided that didn’t mean them. So they started descending the stairs. Then a few more and a few more and before a third of the students had made their way out it looked like BDS at the beginning of the fourth quarter in a blowout. My wife and I stayed, and stood, till our son, and the last few people behind him had filed out. The stands were empty.
/endRant
Rant away. It's not just a lack of respect for others but "authority."

Don't get me started on that one!

Latest threads