Fundamental change may be needed

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
As an outsider the biggest difference between Alabama of the past and Alabama of 2023 is the difference in the skill positions on offense. When Alabama last played Michigan, the first four receivers were 1st round draft picks, the RB was a 1st round pick, and the backup ended up being a 3rd round pick(And starter for the Redskins). The QB was a 1st round pick and got a shot to start for NE for a few seasons. You put 2019 Alabama skill players on 2023 Alabama, and Alabama clobbers Michigan.

Michigan has the defense to beat the air raid offense of UW, or coaches that refuse to run like Day or Sarkisian. But Saban knows what to do when he has an elite RB and a physical Oline. I understand the criticisms of the offensive line. But it was a physical line that knew how to run block. Saban would have forced more run support in the box and then take the lid over the top with elite receivers who are a threat for a house call. Not even Michigan's great Dline can stand up to that.

Michigan won more because of what Alabama was not, not because Michigan reached the level of Alabama or Georgia.
Depends on what you mean by "of the past", but for me it is hands down the line of scrimmage play. Both sides. I'm thinking mostly pre Kiffin era, but even since then the LOS dropping off has made it virtually impossible to stay on top without those elite skill players that you mention. But then it is a house of cards where the QB gets hurt, or 1 or 2 of those skill players gets hurt, the whole thing falls apart.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
I have always said with the talent level we have, play the 4 man front, let them do their thing, (rush the passer, stop the run), and let the back 7 play coverage. There is no need to be so complex our guys are thinking more than reacting….or God forbid still looking to the sideline when the ball is snapped…

Last edited:

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
As an outsider the biggest difference between Alabama of the past and Alabama of 2023 is the difference in the skill positions on offense. When Alabama last played Michigan, the first four receivers were 1st round draft picks, the RB was a 1st round pick, and the backup ended up being a 3rd round pick(And starter for the Redskins). The QB was a 1st round pick and got a shot to start for NE for a few seasons. You put 2019 Alabama skill players on 2023 Alabama, and Alabama clobbers Michigan.

Michigan has the defense to beat the air raid offense of UW, or coaches that refuse to run like Day or Sarkisian. But Saban knows what to do when he has an elite RB and a physical Oline. I understand the criticisms of the offensive line. But it was a physical line that knew how to run block. Saban would have forced more run support in the box and then take the lid over the top with elite receivers who are a threat for a house call. Not even Michigan's great Dline can stand up to that.

Michigan won more because of what Alabama was not, not because Michigan reached the level of Alabama or Georgia.
Even a semi-competent performance by Bama and the result is reversed....or one or two calls/bounces...but I'll leave that one for now...or forever as it matters not now.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I guess the fan base has been Saban-ized. That means there's a standard the teams should play to, win or lose. Kinda like I felt like we lost after the All-barn game, because we didn't really play to our standard. Felt that way most of this season honestly. Conversely - there have been some games we lost, that while I hated that we lost, I felt like the team played to the standard so I didn't feel that bad about it...
Idk...maybe my expectations have changed with age, but I'm very pleased with how the season turned out considering how it started.

From a historical perspective, this team probably never played to the Bama-Saban standard except for probably the UGA game. And after we beat them, we were playing with house money in my opinion.

I wouldn't even have had a problem with UGA getting in the playoff over us after we beat them.

I'll take the results considering the season looked like an utter catastrophe in the making back in September.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Something needs to fix the switching on coverages between the dbs and lbs. Whatever the system is has been easily exploited by Michigan and others to create wide open guys. Now some of it is offensive interference , but some of the plays are everyone pointing at everyone else as the guy runs wide open.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So far I'd say Nick Saban has managed the new NLI open player movement thing pretty well. He seems to be able to fill holes as they come open but Alabama seems to be playing primarily players who have been in the program 2 years or less vs the veteran teams of the past. I think we were better than Michigan on paper but we lost for several reasons that I don't want to discuss in this tread, but the one issue I do want to discuss is how our defenders are constantly in big games being fooled by eye candy. I don't think our players are stupid, in fact I'd say they are above average, but Saban's defense is considered one of the most complex NFL defensive systems in college. Pretty much until they do something to stop player free movement most of our starters from now on will barely know where the bathroom is in the football building. I know going with a more simplistic system is the last thing he wants to do but does he have a choice? The human brain can't absorb 3 years of knowledge in one spring practice. it just won't take.
Well you wanted a change. You got a change.

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
Idk...maybe my expectations have changed with age, but I'm very pleased with how the season turned out considering how it started.

From a historical perspective, this team probably never played to the Bama-Saban standard except for probably the UGA game. And after we beat them, we were playing with house money in my opinion.

I wouldn't even have had a problem with UGA getting in the playoff over us after we beat them.

I'll take the results considering the season looked like an utter catastrophe in the making back in September.
THIS!

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Chastide

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2004
Huntington, WV
I attended the Capstone during Bill Curry years 87 - 89. Never beat Auburn but those days i still just loved the Tide. Have had a ton more love through Stallings and Saban (obviously a tad bit more with Saban), and all in between...even coach Fran (don't beat me, 2002 was a great year). I won't let NIL, transfer portal or coaching changes let me stray from just the good ole' rah, rah rooting for Dixie's Football Pride! One hell of a run and thank you, Coach Saban. Excited for the next chapter or 2 so long as I am living!

Reactions: CrimsonCleanse

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Saban leaving was not the fundamental change I wanted, but as a man of age myself. I fully support him wanting to retire while he's still got good years left. I appreciate him working harder than any other coach in America for 17 years.

That having been said: I can find a similar example in the USFL (now UFL or something) with the Birmingham Stallions. Skip Holtz is the coach and most Birmingham folks were not really too pumped about him being hired. When you are talking about spring football leagues you are talking about teams being put together from scratch in about 30 days and playing a season. Skip may not have been a world beater in college but I'll give him credit for recognizing that a simple system played fast and aggressive was the best option for that situation. The results were back to back championships.

I'm not saying hire Skip Holtz, because I believe major college football has way more continuity than spring football. But I believe that the NEXT coach needs to do whatever is necessary for our defensive players to be confident in what they are doing, to play fast, and play aggressive. If it's too simple to begin with, they can grow into it as the season progresses. No matter what we do It's unlikely we will see many 4 year bama players. they are either going to transfer out, transfer in, or hit the NFL in 3.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Saban leaving was not the fundamental change I wanted, but as a man of age myself. I fully support him wanting to retire while he's still got good years left. I appreciate him working harder than any other coach in America for 17 years.

That having been said: I can find a similar example in the USFL (now UFL or something) with the Birmingham Stallions. Skip Holtz is the coach and most Birmingham folks were not really too pumped about him being hired. When you are talking about spring football leagues you are talking about teams being put together from scratch in about 30 days and playing a season. Skip may not have been a world beater in college but I'll give him credit for recognizing that a simple system played fast and aggressive was the best option for that situation. The results were back to back championships.

I'm not saying hire Skip Holtz, because I believe major college football has way more continuity than spring football. But I believe that the NEXT coach needs to do whatever is necessary for our defensive players to be confident in what they are doing, to play fast, and play aggressive. If it's too simple to begin with, they can grow into it as the season progresses. No matter what we do It's unlikely we will see many 4 year bama players. they are either going to transfer out, transfer in, or hit the NFL in 3.
The trouble we had with motion cost us dearly against Michigan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.