Iowa CFB players gambing

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

This seems pretty ominous to me. I suspect gambling is widespread among athletes, perhaps moreso than the general population and technology only enables it. I hope this doesn't crater the competitive integrity but it's chilling to think about that kicker missing a game tying FG while gambling.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

This seems pretty ominous to me. I suspect gambling is widespread among athletes, perhaps moreso than the general population and technology only enables it. I hope this doesn't crater the competitive integrity but it's chilling to think about that kicker missing a game tying FG while gambling.
sadly it probably goes deeper than just the Iowa schools. then again there isn't much to do in Iowa other than look at corn

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
sadly it probably goes deeper than just the Iowa schools. then again there isn't much to do in Iowa other than look at corn
Yes, I am quite sure that betting is prolific among college athletes -- they are the type who "seek the thrill.." In our day when betting is promoted and legal, the restraints are off.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yes, I am quite sure that betting is prolific among college athletes -- they are the type who "seek the thrill.." In our day when betting is promoted and legal, the restraints are off.
For a gambler, the worst thing you can be is “competitive”. And for the athlete who has spent an extensive of amount of time “in competition”, gambling allows them to be “in the game” even when they are not.

I think about all those many years ago when you had to “dig around” to find lines on games. Today, it is openly talked about as lead ups to the events. College sports can no more separate itself from gambling than someone can separate “the wind from the breeze”.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It will - IF it hasn't already...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
NIL and open transfer crap had already jaded my view. Stuff like this may be the final nail in the coffin in terms of my college sports fandom.
Josh Pate asked the other night (paraphrasing): If you could have football revert to 2007 or live with however it will be in 2027, which would you prefer?

I said 2007, and if things continue the way they have - and as rapidly as they have in recent years - there's a solid chance I'll be a casual fan (at best) in 2027.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This stuff was bound to happen as gambling becomes legalized. Will be interesting if they can get it under control before it really blows up

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Josh Pate asked the other night (paraphrasing): If you could have football revert to 2007 or live with however it will be in 2027, which would you prefer?

I said 2007, and if things continue the way they have - and as rapidly as they have in recent years - there's a solid chance I'll be a casual fan (at best) in 2027.
I’m there with you. I see myself reaching the point where CFB is something similar to how I treat the NFL. It won’t be “destination viewing”. It is something I can take or leave.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This stuff was bound to happen as gambling becomes legalized. Will be interesting if they can get it under control before it really blows up
Well if they are going to clean up the players, they best be holding coaches and others around the programs accountable as well. Because rest assured, if college players are “up to their eyeballs”, there is a certain percentage of coaches involved as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
For a gambler, the worst thing you can be is “competitive”. And for the athlete who has spent an extensive of amount of time “in competition”, gambling allows them to be “in the game” even when they are not.

I think about all those many years ago when you had to “dig around” to find lines on games. Today, it is openly talked about as lead ups to the events. College sports can no more separate itself from gambling than someone can separate “the wind from the breeze”.
I have said this before, but more than one ex-athlete -- college and pro -- has told me that they could never get the "adrenalin rush" of competition after retirement anywhere else but gambling. Sad...

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I've got $50 bucks says Freeze don't make it three years! Whose taking that bet????

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, color me shocked when 18 to twenty something yr old guys come into money without any kind of previous or current good guidance in handling money. Another by-product of the NCAA opening the wild, wild west in not getting out in front of the nil crap.
Actually, the West was quite tame when it came to criminal activity when compared to the civilized, urban cities of the time.

The entire concept of the "Wild, Wild West" was effectively a myth created by Hollywood to sell movies...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nobody is immune from players gambling. Realistically, I’d be surprised if any team is clean on this.

And it’s not new. In Tuscaloosa in the late 70s, I had a friend whose roommate was a player you would recognize. The player gambled a lot, and not just on football. Don’t know if he bet on Alabama games, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CB4 and DzynKingRTR

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Nobody is immune from players gambling. Realistically, I’d be surprised if any team is clean on this.

And it’s not new. In Tuscaloosa in the late 70s, I had a friend whose roommate was a player you would recognize. The player gambled a lot, and not just on football. Don’t know if he bet on Alabama games, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Reason I mentioned coaches earlier. As you stated, no one is immune. I’m aware of several former coaches involved heavily in a variety of gambling activities, from sports to high stakes poker. And I was told at least a couple “weren’t very good at it, and one in particular had lost millions”. And the person relaying this to me would know as he is very well connected in the gaming industry.

Like these student athletes in Iowa, the activity is being funneled through third party accounts. But word gets out eventually.

Were these coaches gambling (to this extent) while actively in coaching? I can’t say. I’ll just say I’m extremely skeptical that they suddenly “jumped in both feet” after leaving the game.

I use to be one of those that believed that gambling influencing the outcomes of games was mostly built on conspiracy. But as it has more pervasive and common place, I can see the door of opportunity opening.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.