Let's Talk QB's (Who Should Be The Backup?)

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
This is what CNS said about Ty in December. “Guy’s got a really good arm, he’s really accurate, he’s smart, he’s kind of one of those guys that loves football, is always asking football questions and wants to learn as much as he can. I think sometimes those guys get referred to as football junkies, but that’s a good thing, and certainly a good thing at the quarterback position. I think he’s bright, he’s smart, he’s a good decision-maker, he’s very instinctive as a player, he can make plays with his feet. I just think in every way, he was the guy we targeted in his class as being the guy that we wanted and we felt very fortunate that we were able to get him.”

But now, his recent comments about Ty indicate he's still a work in progress. But why and how so? Is it he's trying to give Jalen every opportunity in the same way he gave Hurts over Tua? Did he run with Milroe as #2, thinking he would do better than he has? And left Ty underdeveloped and inexperienced?

I just hope Bryce is back 100% this Saturday. And stays healthy the rest of the season.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I’m sure Ty is a good kid, but there is simply ZERO excuse to keep Milroe out there.

No excuse except maybe Bryce was hurt and the greatest college football coach who has ever lived — and who unlike the rest of us watches the QBs every day — ... maybe that guy picked the kid who he thinks gives his team the best chance of winning until Bryce returns.

But what does he know.
It doesn’t matter what he does in practice. If the QB can’t throw the ball and is directly contributing to points for the other team, you have to make a change. Do you not remember the game that made Tua a legend?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This is what CNS said about Ty in December. “Guy’s got a really good arm, he’s really accurate, he’s smart, he’s kind of one of those guys that loves football, is always asking football questions and wants to learn as much as he can. I think sometimes those guys get referred to as football junkies, but that’s a good thing, and certainly a good thing at the quarterback position. I think he’s bright, he’s smart, he’s a good decision-maker, he’s very instinctive as a player, he can make plays with his feet. I just think in every way, he was the guy we targeted in his class as being the guy that we wanted and we felt very fortunate that we were able to get him.”

But now, his recent comments about Ty indicate he's still a work in progress. But why and how so? Is it he's trying to give Jalen every opportunity in the same way he gave Hurts over Tua? Did he run with Milroe as #2, thinking he would do better than he has? And left Ty underdeveloped and inexperienced?

I just hope Bryce is back 100% this Saturday. And stays healthy the rest of the season.
Milroe has been in the system longer. Experience is everything especially when you are light of it. It really has to do with character as well like putting Jalen Hurts in his first big game as a freshman vs USC in Texas. Hurts has been Cool Hand Luke since the day he walked onto campus...way beyond his years. Milroe may have had some of that until last night. Not sure Simpson has the swag as a true freshman to make an impact but his Dad is a coach which says something about his football IQ.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
It doesn’t matter what he does in practice. If the QB can’t throw the ball and is directly contributing to points for the other team, you have to make a change. Do you not remember the game that made Tua a legend?
Milroe may never fumble again. I think about Mac and those 2 pick 6s he threw in the Auburn game in 2019. It cost the game. But we saw how Mac turned out.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
For everyone of those games how many god awful train wrecks do you have when you put the third string guy in. Look I am not arguing that Ty shouldn’t be given a shot I am saying that it’s not as easy of a decision in the moment. Only one of Jalens turnovers were actual INT (yeah I know he should have had another INT) in 2014 saban didn’t pull Blake sims after 3 interceptions and he torched auburn in the second half. I am just saying it’s hard to make that decision in the moment.

Reactions: Padreruf

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I think it’s just easier in hindsight than it is in actual game. Without those 3 turnovers from JM and 3 missed kicks which no one could have predict we probably win 33-3. And we are all going “man milroe needs a lot of work, BOB still needs to go, but we are good now that Bryce is back” I think there wouldn’t be so many bad feelings right now. Football games can go sideways in a hurry especially with turnovers.
Bad feelings might not be there if all the mistakes hadn't happened.....but....I'd argue those mistakes dont happen if Milroe doesn't get put in such bad situations, which then made him get super shaky and play scared, which then gets in the rest of the teams heads.

All starts from the offensive game plan and in game adjustments...or lack thereof. BOB did nothing to coach Milroe in game.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Bad feelings might not be there if all the mistakes hadn't happened.....but....I'd argue those mistakes dont happen if Milroe doesn't get put in such bad situations, which then made him get super shaky and play scared, which then gets in the rest of the teams heads.

All starts from the offensive game plan and in game adjustments...or lack thereof. BOB did nothing to coach Milroe in game.
Agreed…it was a cluster all around Cruloc. Lol

Reactions: Cruloc

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
For everyone of those games how many god awful train wrecks do you have when you put the third string guy in. Look I am not arguing that Ty shouldn’t be given a shot I am saying that it’s not as easy of a decision in the moment. Only one of Jalens turnovers were actual INT (yeah I know he should have had another INT) in 2014 saban didn’t pull Blake sims after 3 interceptions and he torched auburn in the second half. I am just saying it’s hard to make that decision in the moment.
The Blake Sims thing was at the end of the season after he had proven himself a capable passer who was having a bad night. Milroe hasn’t done so.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
True, but for some reason he doesn’t want to approach that limit……… I’d get him some game experience and get him ready……
I really don't believe red shirts are vital any more...if you're good and don't get to play, you'll probably walk/enter the portal. If you're really good, you only stay 3 years anyway, barring injury.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
The Blake Sims thing was at the end of the season after he had proven himself a capable passer who was having a bad night. Milroe hasn’t done so.
And TY hasn’t proven himself to do anything…ever….except have 247 gush about him…we don’t see how ty is in practice. We don’t know. All I know is I wouldn’t want to have to make the decision.

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

Lucky Jack

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
I’m sure Ty is a good kid, but there is simply ZERO excuse to keep Milroe out there.

No excuse except maybe Bryce was hurt and the greatest college football coach who has ever lived — and who unlike the rest of us watches the QBs every day — ... maybe that guy picked the kid who he thinks gives his team the best chance of winning until Bryce returns.

But what does he know.
That coach that has been proven to be loyal to a fault to players with more experience than more talented ones?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Coach Saban sure has come along way in his coaching philosophy. I think he let Cooper Bateman start for the OM game before yanking him for Coker. He waited all of 5 plays before he yanked Blake Barnett in favor Jalen Hurts. It took a near mutiny to get him to make the change from Jalen to Tua in the 2017 NC. Fast forward, Jalen Milroe finished the game despite his colossal mistakes.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Padreruf

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
That coach that has been proven to be loyal to a fault to players with more experience than more talented ones?
I am pretty sure those 7 national titles he has won affords him to keep that line of thinking as he usually ends up right in the long run. When you win 86-95 percent of your games every year it gets kind of difficult to go “yeah but”. Whether to criticism is Valid or not.

Reactions: bamacpa and Con

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Practice doesn’t matter? Thank you Mr. Iverson.

Bryce was knocked out. That leaves two choices, neither of them experienced. What I don’t understand is why we automatically assume Ty Simpson is better just because Milroe made some mistakes in his FIRST START EVER and we struggled to beat a clearly inferior team. That’s never happened before. And all this after we won the game.

Deep breaths. Again.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
And TY hasn’t proven himself to do anything…ever….except have 247 gush about him…we don’t see how ty is in practice. We don’t know. All I know is I wouldn’t want to have to make the decision.
That’s true, but when one player is single handedly giving the other team the game, you have to make a change.

Reactions: Cruloc

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The other player also threw two touchdown passes and ran for more than 100 yards in his first start. Yes, he made key mistakes. But he also made plays. Be fair.

• Thank You
Reactions: mlh

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Coach Saban sure has come along way in his coaching philosophy. I think he let Cooper Bateman start for the OM game before yanking him for Coker. He waited all of 5 plays before he yanked Blake Barnett in favor Jalen Hurts. It took a near mutiny to get him to make the change from Jalen to Tua in the 2017 NC. Fast forward, Jalen Milroe finished the game despite his colossal mistakes.
I believe CNS has mellowed some in his old age. I miss the CNS that used to scream at coaches and players. And smack players on the butt, like he did AJ.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.