Lincoln Riley Takes Shot at Georgia/SEC or Compliments Big 12 Offenses?

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Meh. If we aren’t going to give Clemson the Alexander argument in 2015 then we have no business using the Bo and Jalen argument for 2016. Plain and simple, you play with the team you have and Clemson was just better than us that night.
Uh - I didn't say Clem wasn't better than us that night. I made a very big point of saying that we were pretty BAD that night. So, by extension, that means they played better than we did.

FWIW, I don't think we played a particularly good game in the NC back in 2015 either. But even playing poorly at times, we were still better overall than Clemson that night. Just as Clemson was better than us in the 2016 NC game.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I don't think anyone is opposed to talking about the elephant in the room. I do find it ironic though that when we talk about Jalen's 24 wins it's a; "team sport and he was carried by his defense and special teams for his whole career." Meanwhile if we want to talk about the only two losses in his career the game turns into singles tennis and he's the only reason we lost. I don't say this to pick a fight. I'm not even a Jalen apologist, but there's a defined double standard when talking about his career. .

Otherwise I completely agree with your statement. Our offense couldn't keep their offense off the field which kept our defense in a state of exhaustion the whole second half. I remember defensive players on sideline begging Jalen to move the ball so they could get a rest. There was absolutely a strong element of blame on the QB's execution. Still, people forget that Jalen had multiple passes dropped that could have equated to first downs that were on the receivers moreso than him. I can remember at least 3 that were either on 2nd or 3rd down. We also got stuck with an OC who hadn't called a game in years. That was probably the biggest part of the reason that we fell apart when Bo went down. The playcalling was more bland, repetitive, and Sark couldn't figure out an alternate plan without Bo. That allowed for Clemson's D to close off the middle of the field and tee off on Jalen to make him uncomfortable. Most will never forget that the refs don't know an illegal pick from a hole in the ground, but somehow that's probably Jalen's fault too. ;)

Either way whether it was 100% Jalen, 75% Jalen, or 5% Jalen doesn't matter. We lost, we got our revenge, we got another trophy, and we got another QB. That should cover making just about everyone happy on both sides of the QB camp.
Yea, you are Exactly RIGHT, and I'm every bit as guilty as anyone else of putting too much on the QB position. As they say, the QB gets too much blame for a loss and too much credit for a win - and I think that's true...... Even though I sometimes do just that.

But yea, I think in a way the whole 2016 season was (at least a little) about Hubris on the part of our staff.
Saban &/or Kiffin thought they could win a NC with a True Freshman QB; a supremely physically gifted and emotionally mature guy, to be sure - but still a VERY RAW True Freshman - and to their credit they came within TWO minutes of doing just that - but it was STILL an act of Hubris.
As was Kiffin thinking he could adequately prepare a team for a NC game while spending most of his time looking down the road at his next job. Which was Hubris on his part. (And lets be honest - Kiffin's distraction was taking a toll BEFORE the NC game! Our offensive performance against Washington was "Nothing to Write Home About" - that game was won by the Defense more so than by the offense!)
As was Saban firing Kiffin rather than just yanking his chain and keeping him on the job. That was Hubris on Saban's part.

And despite it all - we were Still just THAT "Darn" close to winning it all.

Go figure, huh?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Do I believe OU’s numbers would go down? Yes but they will easily be the best offense in the SEC and would have plenty of 60 point games. Their difficulty will be with the top 7 teams in the SEC but they would totally clown the bottom half.
They don’t have plenty of 60 point conference games now. Five over the last 10 years, two years they had 2 . Texas tech and Kansas both years and one year they won a shootout with Okie Lite 62-52. Funny strange, the last time they won 2 conference games by scoring 60, they also got curb stomped by LSU 63-28 in the playoffs. I‘m Willing to bet they give up 60 about as many times as they score 60 in conference.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: UAllday

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
They don’t have plenty of 60 point conference games now. Five over the last 10 years, two years they had 2 . Texas tech and Kansas both years and one year they won a shootout with Okie Lite 62-52. Funny strange, the last time they won 2 conference games by 60, they also got curb stomped by LSU 63-28 in the playoffs. I‘m Willing to bet they give up 60 about as many times as they score 60 in conference.
If you score 60 it's 100 percent certain that someone gave up 60 . NO WAY I'm taking that bet ! :)

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Do I believe OU’s numbers would go down? Yes but they will easily be the best offense in the SEC and would have plenty of 60 point games. Their difficulty will be with the top 7 teams in the SEC but they would totally clown the bottom half.
Maybe. But OU only averaged 32.7 ppg this past season. Not sure that equates to the best offense in the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
@selmaborntidefan thanks for bringing up this 4 year old thread so everyone will keep responding to my view on Oklahoma like I said this a few days ago since no one seems to check the time stamp in the upper left hand corner.
Well I was looking for something else and given what happened, it’s like when Bugs Bunny would play a girl bunny or something like that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well I was looking for something else and given what happened, it’s like when Bugs Bunny would play a girl bunny or something like that.
Well it is kinda funny, most of us believed that Riley would leave Oklahoma for the nfl, but leave the foundation in place like Stoops did for him So the question was valid at the time whether Oklahoma could compete. But Riley took everything to usc to include the ashes in the fireplace. So yeah it’s just proof that in 4 years a program can be in an entirely different set of circumstances that no one could ever predict other than the town drunk.

But what I find most interesting about these old threads is the posters. You will notice that many don’t post here anymore but were highly active back then. Some for known reasons and some you wonder where they went.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well it is kinda funny, most of us believed that Riley would leave Oklahoma for the nfl, but leave the foundation in place like Stoops did for him So the question was valid at the time whether Oklahoma could compete. But Riley took everything to usc to include the ashes in the fireplace. So yeah it’s just proof that in 4 years a program can be in an entirely different set of circumstances that no one could ever predict other than the town drunk.

But what I find most interesting about these old threads is the posters. You will notice that many don’t post here anymore but were highly active back then. Some for known reasons and some you wonder where they went.
Riley unquestionably inherited a solid infrastructure that Stoops had put in place, and he deserves credit for keeping it going. At the same time, his "Defense Optional" approach to coaching - at a school famous for their defensive prowess via the Selmon Brothers of the 70s and Brian Bosworth (most notably) in the 80s - was ludicrous. OU is THE BLUE BLOOD of that conference, but they have largely been the Cosmo Kramer 8-year old karate class - and even then, they never went undefeated.

The Big 12 bowl record since the expansion to the CFP in 2014 is 34-31 - and just by chance, their one stellar year in all that was a 5-0 mark in the 2020 Covid year, a year a number of teams opted to simply not go to bowl games. The SEC, by contrast, is 61-43 and TWO of those losses you have to toss because they were head-to-head matchups in the national title game, so it's a .598 winning percentage from a conference that always has at least one team in the semis and one in the finals.

I don't think that Oklahoma will suffer quite the same fate as Nebraska did - but they might.

What I'll grant the Sooners is that - like Alabama or Ohio State or USC (the other non-Notre Dame "blue bloods") - they have a demonstrated history of adjusting to a changing game.

They had a long winning streak mostly against pushovers in the 50s (I'm not picking on them, UCLA basketball's streak is safe, too). We went to doube platoon, they adjusted.

Nebraska got good - OU adjusted.
Scholarships reduced? OU adjusted.

Probation and John Blake? OU adjusted.

Big 12 conference? OU adjusted.

They have more up side than Texas.

One note to your comment - you had no way of knowing four years ago they would propose things to speed up the game. That right there is going to limit OU's ability to hang 60 points on anyone, INCLUDING Vandy.

Reactions: Con

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA

And he used OU money to recruit players to USC and hasn't been made to pay any consequence.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Does riley even know what a good defense is?

He's never fielded one, so it's a legit question...

RILEY DEFENSIVE RANKINGS (SCORING DEFENSE - 130 TEAMS)
2017 - 27.1 (68th)
2018 - 33.3 (101st)
2019 - 27.3 (64th)
2020 - 21.7 (29th) - best ranking.....during Covid year
2021 - 25.8 (59th, USC 103rd at 31.8)
2022 - 29.2 (93rd, OU was 99th at 30.0)

His one defense above 59th...was the year teams lost players due to Covid and games were canceled. It was an 11-game season - and they shut out Missouri St in the opener. While I understand it's not like Covid was OU's fault, it is telling TO MY MIND that the only year he had a semi-decent defense also just happened to be the year he played only 11 games.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.