Milroe on the incomplete pass at the end of the game

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Two thoughts:
1. McElroy's analysis matches my thinking at the time of the play---"uncovered, throw quick--OOOPS ahhh!"
2. That said, I'm glad he threw the ball into the ground. I recall a play some time ago where a certain gritty QB named Kitchens shot a swing pass out to a FB named Scissum--who had been a warrior all game long. Scissum was then hit by a defender and coughed up the ball with about a minute and a half to go. The ending wasn't pretty as that "Cow College down the road" kicked what would be the winning field goal with just a few seconds remaining and left the warrior Scissum, me (and probably a million other Bama fans) wondering just how it could have happened! I still remember Scissum on the kickoff after the FG fighting like a man possessed to get yards to try and put Bama in FG position and he nearly succeeded but alas, the long field goal was not to be.

I don't blame Jaylen for letting his training get ahead of his thinking, and I'm glad that he either belatedly recognized the error of his way and tried to hold the ball or that his pass was just plain errant. Either way, the end was more than many fans expected and the young man acquitted himself well overall!

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
It was not the only glaring mental mistake. There were false starts that took us out of potential scoring and one that took points off the board. So hopefully he grows with experience like any young QB. We won time to prepare for Arkansas

Reactions: Tidelines

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The coaching staff shares responsibility for the one hopper, if not all of it. After the first down, three kneel downs and the game is over. They should have ran on victory formation personnel.

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I heard GMac talking about this. He went on to say that the kids today don't "know the game" like the guys he played with. They don't know the fundamentals of the game. They don't have situational awareness. They are in a sense "over coached" on how to respond to specific keys without knowing why they should respond that way.
Not to be mean to you or GMac but literally EVERY SINGLE GENERATION of sports figures who plays a sport thinks that about when they played. And yet the reality is just the opposite: the QUALITY OF PLAY in every sport has only gone in one direction, constantly better. No, it's not SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER from 5 years ago, but the guys who played in the original college football games wouldn't even make the teams nowadays as water boys.

I could turn this around and point out to GMac that when he played, folks weren't running out a transfer portal like all of Shawshank following Andy through the sewer. The personnel turnover now is VASTLY larger than it was when he was there. Also, when he was there - Alabama wasn't firing out 5 first-rounders a year who had played maybe 2 full years of ball.

A lot of what made those 2009-12 teams so great was THEY WERE ON THE FIELD TOGETHER A LOT AND AS A CONSEQUENCE KNEW EACH OTHER'S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES.

You cannot replicate team chemistry in a test tube. That's why the number of returning starters is usually a big factor in "will this team be good this year?" The simplest ranking by the pundits is basically, "they finished 4th and have a bunch of starters coming back on their emphasis (now you're preseason #3), the coaching staff is all back (now you're #2), and the schedule is favorable (you're now the preseason #1 based on nothing but fluff like that unless the defending #1 has the same favorable setting.

When Greg played, he had Ingram and Richardson BOTH for both years.

How often does anything like that even happen nowadays?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Not to be mean to you or GMac but literally EVERY SINGLE GENERATION of sports figures who plays a sport thinks that about when they played. And yet the reality is just the opposite: the QUALITY OF PLAY in every sport has only gone in one direction, constantly better. No, it's not SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER from 5 years ago, but the guys who played in the original college football games wouldn't even make the teams nowadays as water boys.

I could turn this around and point out to GMac that when he played, folks weren't running out a transfer portal like all of Shawshank following Andy through the sewer. The personnel turnover now is VASTLY larger than it was when he was there. Also, when he was there - Alabama wasn't firing out 5 first-rounders a year who had played maybe 2 full years of ball.

A lot of what made those 2009-12 teams so great was THEY WERE ON THE FIELD TOGETHER A LOT AND AS A CONSEQUENCE KNEW EACH OTHER'S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES.

You cannot replicate team chemistry in a test tube. That's why the number of returning starters is usually a big factor in "will this team be good this year?" The simplest ranking by the pundits is basically, "they finished 4th and have a bunch of starters coming back on their emphasis (now you're preseason #3), the coaching staff is all back (now you're #2), and the schedule is favorable (you're now the preseason #1 based on nothing but fluff like that unless the defending #1 has the same favorable setting.

When Greg played, he had Ingram and Richardson BOTH for both years.

How often does anything like that even happen nowadays?
selmaborntidefan, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I agree with GMac. For today's players, I think it's more about NIL and promoting their individual status and the transfer portal than about being part of a team and learning the basics and playing with class. Today it seems to be more about "me" and less about the "team."

And I don't think the quality of play is better. Undisciplined mistakes, pre-snap penalties, taunting and smack talking is not a better quality than what we had back in "the good old days." What happened to "win with class?" Why should we have to put up with taunting and "shushing" the opposing fans?

The players may be physically superior. No doubt they are bigger and stronger and faster. But that doesn't necessarily result in a superior product.

I grew up watching Coach Bryant's teams win national championships. They won by playing fundamentally sound football. They understood the basics and didn't make a ton of stupid mistakes. They played with class. They didn't taunt and trash talk their opponents.

I will concede that the quality of talent is significantly better. But the quality of play is not.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The zenith of college football was watching our 2020 team...

selmaborntidefan, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I agree with GMac. For today's players, I think it's more about NIL and promoting their individual status and the transfer portal than about being part of a team and learning the basics and playing with class. Today it seems to be more about "me" and less about the "team."

And I don't think the quality of play is better. Undisciplined mistakes, pre-snap penalties, taunting and smack talking is not a better quality than what we had back in "the good old days." What happened to "win with class?" Why should we have to put up with taunting and "shushing" the opposing fans?

The players may be physically superior. No doubt they are bigger and stronger and faster. But that doesn't necessarily result in a superior product.

I grew up watching Coach Bryant's teams win national championships. They won by playing fundamentally sound football. They understood the basics and didn't make a ton of stupid mistakes. They played with class. They didn't taunt and trash talk their opponents.

I will concede that the quality of talent is significantly better. But the quality of play is not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But you and I probably AGREE on more even on this issue than we DISAGREE.

THIS!!

This right here is what I was talking about with team chemistry.
THERE IS NONE!!

Okay, "none" is a strong word.
But Greg McElroy not one time ever could have had the thought in his mind, "You know, Julio is already a millionaire, and I'm the quarterback of the flagship university, and I can barely keep my eyes open." And let's not get into literalism because somebody is going to say something like, "McElroy's family is rich." Not really the point - pick a player, any player. You now have an entire team or a great portion of it that is getting paid and the lesser paid will always view the better paid with envy. That's not a reflection on anything except their humanity.

And I don't think the quality of play is better.
The overall quality of football played by every single player in CFB is SUBSTANTIALLY better than it was a century ago is what I'm talking about. It changes so quickly that Tom Osborne himself said when asked in 1983 - and he was the OC of that school - that his 1983 team would absolutely demolish Devaney's 1971 team. His 1995 team - 12 years later just like 83 vs 71 - would have absolutely murdered his 1983 team, and not just because Lawrence Phillips was the backfield slasher.

It is indisputable that the quality of play goes up over time. That doesn't mean "the 2022 Georgia team is the greatest ever" because it happens in small increments, so small it cannot be seen. There's a rather large difference between the 2015 Alabama team (and how they won) and the 2020 team (and how they won), but most improvement is almost unnoticeable until the bigger picture.

So - NO - I'm NOT saying, "The 2023 Alabama team would massacre the 2016 team by 40 points," because they wouldn't. It would be reasonably close, 16 might even win.

Undisciplined mistakes, pre-snap penalties, taunting and smack talking is not a better quality than what we had back in "the good old days."
As opposed to Alabama and Mississippi State recording 17 fumbles in the 1981 game because both ran wishbones?

A number of those things have always happened or pretty much always. Larry Bird was one of the biggest trash talkers of all-time. But there was a key difference that the 1980s Miami Hurricanes pretended didn't actually exist: Bird confined his trash talk to the playing field and only the opposition heard him.

In the days leading up to the 1993 Sugar Bowl, there was a ton of emphasis on "you know, Alabama talks trash, too." Yes - if one thinks there's a moral equivalence between Eric Curry telling Gino Torretta "I'm gonna be in your face all night" and Lamar Thomas setting his two national title rings before the interview stand saying, "The third ring will the icing on the cake" and questioning whether Alabama's secondary are even actual men....then yes, Alabama and Miami were one and the same. One is on the field that only the players hear and understood to be psychological, and the other is intended to demean, mock, and discredit BEFORE THE GAME is even played.

And btw - a lot of rules have now been put into place thanks to the juvenile delinquents that Jimmy Johnson unleashed on the world.

What happened to "win with class?" Why should we have to put up with taunting and "shushing" the opposing fans?
Might want to read how some of the very same musings on this board attempting to discredit Georgia's back-to-back are exactly the same verbiage with names changed that discredited Alabama. We can always name a team that an opponent didn't beat - that's not the same thing as "they're skeered," but it goes on on every board in the world including this one, which is one of the classier ones.

"Clemson never plays nobody."
"Georgia never plays nobody."
"If (name a team) played in the West, they wouldn't be national champions."

If I were a Georgia fan - and trust me, my handicap parking decal wasn't purchased with a diploma from Athens - I'd just say, "You're right. We didn't play anybody. We are the worst back-to-back national champions in CFB history. I'll take that over being the best team to not win every day of the year."

Again, we disagree here simply based on the evolution of sports over time - and I'm okay with that.

I'm not going to argue something I only caught the tail end of here, and we've stated our polite disagreement on one point out of three.

Thank you for being classy, and I hope my response is as well.

22Musso22

1st Team
Sep 2, 2023
Forgive me, I have not read this whole thread and if this has been mentioned I apologize.

The reason Milroe threw the pass was because he was hurrying to get a play off before the officials reviewed the previous play. I believe the tape shows it was a legal catch on the play before, but regardless, I believe Milroe was trying to beat the review and hurriedly threw an ill advised pass. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.