Musk acquiring Twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Twitter was horribly overstaffed. Most of these tech companies are. I think the platform is running fine. It hasn't had any issues for me. Maybe it will all collapse tomorrow, but I doubt it. My feeling is most of those engineers were doing about 20 minutes of work a day.

Time will tell if he can make it work, but I won't bet against him. He has made stuff work that no one thought was possible. The guy decided to figure out how to land a rocket after using it. Everyone told him he was crazy. He now does it constantly. We are so used to now if something goes wrong that's the story not that it went off without a hitch.
as someone who has worked for these tech companies for 20+ years I'll just say LOL

is there fat? Sure. Is it everywhere in every business unit and every tech company absolutely not.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
as someone who has worked for these tech companies for 20+ years I'll just say LOL

is there fat? Sure. Is it everywhere in every business unit and every tech company absolutely not.
From what is being reported at Twitter it sure seems like there is a lot of fat. I'm sure you are absolutely correct that many tech companies don't function like Twitter, but even Jack Dorsey said that he grew the staff of the company too fast and apologized for it.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz and UAH

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
You're suggesting that social media software engineers are different? Because that's what my point was about. If he can keep it running from an engineering standpoint, I suspect Twitter will be just fine user-wise - and there's nothing (other than rumor) suggesting Musk cannot keep Twitter online in the short term.
I read their datacenter operations team was down from 100 to 10. Pretty much the same with the team responsible for monitoring the platform services.

This is going to be one of those things where it runs fine until it doesn’t. Prob when a dev makes a code change without fully understanding how it interacts with other services. Or maybe there is a major datacenter issue and the team doesn’t have the necessary knowledge to resolve.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You're suggesting that social media software engineers are different? Because that's what my point was about. If he can keep it running from an engineering standpoint, I suspect Twitter will be just fine user-wise - and there's nothing (other than rumor) suggesting Musk cannot keep Twitter online in the short term.
You do know he closed the office last week until tomorrow, right? There is no question many quit after his edict - you are entitled to call it “rumor” if you wish. His public firing after one of his engineers corrected him by explaining how things work was hilarious. No, it’s not good to “criticize” your boss in public; then again, Musky was throwing his engineers under the bus mainly because he doesn’t know how it works (he called any software engineers available to fly to Frisco to “explain” it to him - a leader would have learned before he started firing people en masse, only to ask some to return. That is not, by any definition of the term, quality leadership. It’s Trumpism 101.
Trent Reznor said it - I’ve also had enough of the arrogance of the billionaire class. If you gave me a Tesla I’d sell it.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I only had 10 in the field but it was enough to know Musk doesn’t have what it takes to run a social media company- evidenced by firing people he had to call back because they were “essential “. Now, can he learn what he needs to know? Maybe. But his personality is ill suited to run a “social media” company.
Wouldn’t shock me to see him sell it in a year or two - he will get tired of losing money and as yet, there’s no sign he’s going to get revenue even close to where it was. And the simple reason is: he doesn’t care. That won’t give any advertiser the warm and fuzzies

Reactions: UAH and Jon

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
From what is being reported at Twitter it sure seems like there is a lot of fat. I'm sure you are absolutely correct that many tech companies don't function like Twitter, but even Jack Dorsey said that he grew the staff of the company too fast and apologized for it.
best thing I've read on this and I am paraphrasing

Reportedly they have lost 80% of their staff. A walrus is fat, losing 80% of it doesn't get you a skinny walrus.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I read their datacenter operations team was down from 100 to 10. Pretty much the same with the team responsible for monitoring the platform services.

This is going to be one of those things where it runs fine until it doesn’t. Prob when a dev makes a code change without fully understanding how it interacts with other services. Or maybe there is a major datacenter issue and the team doesn’t have the necessary knowledge to resolve.
exactly this. Something is going to break and no one will know what to do. Based on the startups I've worked in I am betting the documentation isn't really there either. I expect a multiple day outage soon that includes frantic calls from Elon to people who hopefully will laugh and hang up

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Gutting the staff and engineering is just setting Twitter up for further fake accounts and bot trolling. Next we will hear Twitter has had a identity theft breach.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Gutting the staff and engineering is just setting Twitter up for further fake accounts and bot trolling. Next we will hear Twitter has had a identity theft breach.
Oh if you still have an account, you better remove as much personal information as possible. I’d also use a password I used nowhere else.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh if you still have an account, you better remove as much personal information as possible. I’d also use a password I used nowhere else.
I did that long ago, but, if I hadn't, I sure as hell would be doing it now. Hell can't imagine more insecure data that what that site holds now...

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
There has been some good information on Ukraine, and occasionally there is some good sports related information. But the vast majority of posts there are hot takes from self important people.
When Twitter was in its' early stages, I got an account. I hardly ever used it but I kept getting followers.

At 3am, I got a notification from an acquaintance. She was pondering whether to study or do her laundry. I deleted the app the next morning.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I deactivated my account when Trump was allowed back on. I have no interest in being involved with Truth Social II. Musk is keeping his promise to make Twitter a cesspool of misinformation and hate because, that is the only reason you allow someone like Trump back on the platform.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I thought it hilariously ironic Trump, er, Musky called TR a crybaby. Amazing how those with no spine call others names; and in the process verify the credibility of their critics.
Used to call them “weenies” when I was young…proof positive there are things money can’t buy, and to some of us they are much more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.