Peach Bowl Prep Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The funny thing is, he was sprinting down the sideline like nothing was wrong when it came to celebrating. I think the coaches kept him out as precaution.
let's hope that's the case and the extra rest will mean he's good-to-go. Sometimes with the hammy though, it's the turning and such that tweaks it, so running straight ahead might not bother it, but backpedaling or sliding and turning your hips to run would hurt it badly...

let's hope that's the case and the extra rest will mean he's good-to-go. Sometimes with the hammy though, it's the turning and such that tweaks it, so running straight ahead might not bother it, but backpedaling or sliding and turning your hips to run would hurt it badly...
Wouldn't jumping hurt it too though?

[emoji208]Sent from my iPhone [emoji336]using Tapatalk Pro

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0601068057871257600-4

Little tidbit of info about Jalen when compared to his counterparts.

There was a piece on ESPNU last night that went into the match-ups. During one segment they focused on Jalen as a passer. They broke down his completion percentages in areas of the field, left to right, behind the LOS, within 10 yards of the LOS, 10-20 yards beyond the LOS and then further than 20 yards beyond the LOS.

We saw on the chart exactly what we expected to see. Jalen is an excellent passer out to 10 yards past the LOS. Deeper than that and he is a 30%-35% completion QB. He is really poor to both sidelines more than 10 yards downfield.

Their take - when he makes quick reads and gets the ball out, he is a very good QB. When he has to read defenses further down the field, he struggles. With under/over coverages, reading defenses is a lot harder. The short routes only require you to read a single defender. The longer routes require you to read multiple defenders for each route.

There was a piece on ESPNU last night that went into the match-ups. During one segment they focused on Jalen as a passer. They broke down his completion percentages in areas of the field, left to right, behind the LOS, within 10 yards of the LOS, 10-20 yards beyond the LOS and then further than 20 yards beyond the LOS.

We saw on the chart exactly what we expected to see. Jalen is an excellent passer out to 10 yards past the LOS. Deeper than that and he is a 30%-35% completion QB. He is really poor to both sidelines more than 10 yards downfield.

Their take - when he makes quick reads and gets the ball out, he is a very good QB. When he has to read defenses further down the field, he struggles. With under/over coverages, reading defenses is a lot harder. The short routes only require you to read a single defender. The longer routes require you to read multiple defenders for each route.
Thanks man. I see though he is getting better. The line has to keep him upright. He has a chance to do good things.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Yeah and the thing is this isn't going to miraculously change this year for these last 2 possible games. I'm more frustrated about missing WIDE OPEN Wr's and TE's. Some people have said it's because they only make him scan half the field on plays. Have no idea how true that is but I do know several people who have gone to games this year say there are way more guys being open and not seen than we even see happen on the Televised games. Those plays are going to need to be seen and made when available.

But we aren't where we are without Jalen good and bad. So we just have to keep playing good defense, running the ball, and have him make just enough plays with his feet and arm. I AM concerned about our passing though. IF we lose a playoff game it will probably be because of this and/or turnovers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks man. I see though he is getting better. The line has to keep him upright. He has a chance to do good things.
Here's the thing - that is how USC killed Washington. They beat them with short passes, not bombs. The Washington LBs are not very good. Jalen is going to be able to take them apart with the short stuff. Why test those great CBs deep when you don't need to do so?

I think that Jalen is going to put up some pretty good numbers against Washington, but most of the yards will be YAC. And I think that you will run for 250+ yards against them.

Here's the thing - that is how USC killed Washington. They beat them with short passes, not bombs. The Washington LBs are not very good. Jalen is going to be able to take them apart with the short stuff. Why test those great CBs deep when you don't need to do so?

I think that Jalen is going to put up some pretty good numbers against Washington, but most of the yards will be YAC. And I think that you will run for 250+ yards against them.
I believe you are right. We are going to attack that weakness and test how weak it actually is. Jalen may not throw bombs all the time but that doesn't mean he won't attempt them. Then, the running game will get "crunk" up! When that does cancel Christmas.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yeah and the thing is this isn't going to miraculously change this year for these last 2 possible games. I'm more frustrated about missing WIDE OPEN Wr's and TE's. Some people have said it's because they only make him scan half the field on plays. Have no idea how true that is but I do know several people who have gone to games this year say there are way more guys being open and not seen than we even see happen on the Televised games. Those plays are going to need to be seen and made when available.

But we aren't where we are without Jalen good and bad. So we just have to keep playing good defense, running the ball, and have him make just enough plays with his feet and arm. I AM concerned about our passing though. IF we lose a playoff game it will probably be because of this and/or turnovers.

That's all true, although even his short passing completion percentage probably isn't what they said it was due to all the jet sweeps. Those count as passing attempts, but aren't really indicative of his ability as a passer. Like you said, we wouldn't be where we are without a lot of the things Jalen has done, but he's got a LOT of room to grow and improve as a passer. With the attitude he's brought to the team it sounds like lacking effort won't be a problem so the ceiling should be really, really high for him over the next couple of years.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Their take - when he makes quick reads and gets the ball out, he is a very good QB
With our run game and defense, that's about all we should be asking of him other than a bomb or two a game or we are more than 10-13 points behind IMHO.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

This ^^^ ... have been watching a few more of their games. Goes for their linemen too. They're decent but, their defense is good against Pac 12 teams. That's really it. I think we beat them by 3 scores at least. I worry more about their QB and some of their receivers but not much really.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're obviously not that bad because the Pac-12 has some offenses and they didn't really get torched by any of them.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Looks like, according to the practice report, Marlon went through drills today--hopefully this is a good sign and he can practice for the next few weeks without hamstring issues.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Looks like, according to the practice report, Marlon went through drills today--hopefully this is a good sign and he can practice for the next few weeks without hamstring issues.
I hope so...but a full blown hamstring pull is almost impossible to overcome in less than six weeks. You have to just let it heal itself.
Hopefully, it was just a tweak and he'll be o.k..

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just saw on the updated practice report that Tony Brown has a pulled muscle and didn't practice. Our secondary depth is really thin now. Dakota Ball shot his finger in a hunting accident. Let's hope there are no more injuries!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Brown has plenty of time to recover theoretically but yes we cannot afford injuries in the secondary it could absolutely landmine us.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, Brown pulled the muscle last week in a workout...so maybe a head start on that recovery time line?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.