Roster Management for 24-25

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Once we know about Mark and Darin, the difficult part begins. Having this much talent is intoxicating. Turning it into a team takes hard work, alchemy and luck. Does everyone buy into the shifting roles?
You have asked the million dollar question? This is were the professional and college players differ sometimes, if you want a ring you buy in to your row, if not your team is not going anywhere to obtain the objective

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade
Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
You have asked the million dollar question? This is were the professional and college players differ sometimes, if you want a ring you buy in to your row, if not your team is not going anywhere to obtain the objective
As Always with Basketball .... Players are built in the Summer, Teams in Winter. We will know if we have gelled into a team by Conference time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We already have a 5 Star (depending on which service you look at) 6'11 freshman C coming in that will backup Cliff. If Sears stays in the draft, we will probably go after another ball handler. I don't think some of you realize how good Sherrell actually is.
Sherrill was a McDonald's AA so I hope they know now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know if we're done with the roster for now, but I keep thinking we might see something surprising with another additional but that's just me overthinking this. Oats has done incredible job of rebuilding the roster.
We're done if Mark comes back, maybe not if he does not. I believe we currently have four returning players from last year and if Mark comes back it will make if five. The amazing thing about last years is we only had three returning players.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
We're done if Mark comes back, maybe not if he does not. I believe we currently have four returning players from last year and if Mark comes back it will make if five. The amazing thing about last years is we only had three returning players.

I am only seeing three confirmed returning players: Nelson, Dioubate, and Wrightsell

Stevenson and Sears would make four and five; respectively.

Am I forgetting someone?

Reactions: dathbama

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
What does that even mean...? :unsure:
Born in Sumter, South Carolina, Chilcutt attended Tuscaloosa Academy in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He was recruited by a number of schools, and decided to go to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Following a collegiate basketball career at North Carolina, he was selected in the first round of the 1991 NBA draft by the Sacramento Kings.
Chilcutt played forward for seven teams over a nine-year professional career that spanned from the 1991–92 to the 1999–2000 season. He won an NBA Championship in the 1994–95 season with the Houston Rockets, for whom he played from 1994 to 1996. He also played for the Detroit Pistons, Vancouver Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Utah Jazz.

Looks like they stole him from Alabama.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree GN is not a #5. He's got the length at close to seven feet, but he's not built for that role, especially on defense.

The thing that will help him the most next year is Cliff will draw the biggest/longest defender away from GN and our length and offensive talent at the #2 and #3 positions will draw the other teams more athletic defenders. GN could possibly benefit from that.
Good observation. I've felt sorry for GN when he ended up against people like Broome...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am only seeing three confirmed returning players: Nelson, Dioubate, and Wrightsell

Stevenson and Sears would make four and five; respectively.

Am I forgetting someone?
I was counting Stevenson since I feel he will certainly be back. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: oskie

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If memory serves, Chilcutt is a Tuscaloosa native that signed with Dean Smith. Doing a search on the name should tell you what you want to know.
This is correct. He was the top rated player in Alabama that we wanted badly along with other blue bloods. This was during a period we could not keep top in-state talent to go to the in-state schools. Very good player who also played in the NBA.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I wonder if that might also be what brings Sears back. I keep wondering what he can show scouts that they haven't already seen.
Yes, Coach Wimp was on Mac and Cubic the other day and they asked him about Sears going pro. Wimp whatever he decided to do; he would never have a better season than he just completed. I would agree.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We got our revenge in '89 when Chilcutt's Tar Heels came to Tuscaloosa for a game in his senior year. It was a fun night to be in Coleman Coliseum as Wimp outcoached Dean Smith in a 101-93 win. Good times...

Reactions: Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We already have a 5 Star (depending on which service you look at) 6'11 freshman C coming in that will backup Cliff. If Sears stays in the draft, we will probably go after another ball handler. I don't think some of you realize how good Sherrell actually is.
I'm aware of Sherrel and excited about him. Wasn't trying to insinuate Stevenson's a 5 but that I hope he comes back. He does provide a lot of length at the 3 or 4 or whatever he'll play.

Reactions: BamaMike05

Latest threads