Roster Management for 24-25

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
I think Stevenson will come back. However, this is one of the weakest draft classes that there has been in a long time. So anything is possible.
Just thinking of the draft class is weaker does that push Sears to go pro even more?

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
This coming season and the ultimate goal of a national championship rests on the decision of Mark Sears. He is a difference maker. With him, extremely realistic that they would win it all. Without him, a very good team but probably can't close it out in the end. Don't forget that without him you have a true freshman point guard and a sophomore from Auburn that struggled mightily the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: dathbama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This coming season and the ultimate goal of a national championship rests on the decision of Mark Sears. He is a difference maker. With him, extremely realistic that they would win it all. Without him, a very good team but probably can't close it out in the end. Don't forget that without him you have a true freshman point guard and a sophomore from Auburn that struggled mightily the 2nd half of the season.
Towards the end of last season, MS was not really playing the point, and we were better for it...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, Clifford has a 7'6 wingspan. There are not a lot of guys that are like him with his athleticism and wingspan. Also, I never said that Sherrell and Clifford were the same type of player. All I said was that we don't need to bring in another big if Sears doesn't return. We will replace Sears with likely another ball handler. Sherrell is very capable, especially as a backup, and has potential to be a star. When you bring in Sherrell to give Cliff a rest, you have a different dynamic and get to play more 5 out.

Also, Sherrell isn't like Stevenson size wise. He is more solid and can actually defend the post a bit. Really the only real similarities is that they can step out and shoot the 3.
Yes, Sherrell's 3 point stroke is quite good. Very impressed with his ball handling and shooting on the perimeter!

Imagine him at 5 and Nelson at 4 as we spread the floor!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't necessarily think it does because of Sears size. The difference with Stevenson is that he is 6'11 and has shown a good ability to knock down a 3. That is exactly what the NBA is looking for.
IIRC correctly he was shooting under 30% on 3's until he got hot against UNC or Clemson but I see your point. A near 7' who can make 3's is interesting to the NBA. I think he needs another year of seasoning.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
247 Final Composite Rankings for 2024

- #10 Derrion Reed
- #22 Aiden Sherrell
-#34 LaBaron Philon
-#44 Naas Cunningham

4 Players in the Top 50 is not something I was expecting in this recruiting class but I'll take it all day long!
I guess I haven't looked at Reed close enough. That surprises me, pleasantly so!

I've got the impression he's a player like little Mo, but I suspect he's got more game than that if he's ranked that high!

Reactions: BamaHoopsBoi

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I guess I haven't looked at Reed close enough. That surprises me, pleasantly so!

I've got the impression he's a player like little Mo, but I suspect he's got more game than that if he's ranked that high!
He will go hard to the rim. Cunningham too. We need guys that can go hard to the rim.

Walters, Stevenson and even Pringle have a weak “to the rim” game. Pringle was good with an open lane. But otherwise Rylan and Nelson were our best, and they did very little.

Missed that this year.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Reid is a future pro. If we weren’t so loaded we would be talking about him potentially being our best player. It’s very possible that he starts. I think he ends up being the first guy off the bench but he is a potential starter. He is actually the 2nd highest rated recruit we have ever signed.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Most of the guys in this class are already on 247s top all-time Alabama recruiting rankings. I think Derrion is second behind Saxton ... just wow

Oats has taken the Alabama basketball book, tossed it to the side, got a new book, and is writing his own version. He’s just rewriting the entire scope of men’s basketball at Alabama.

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023
Reid seems to be a great all around basketball player, not many weaknesses that you can point out in his game other than not being a very high volume 3 point shooter. I think he's rated so highly for this reason. Definitely not a flashy scorer like others you see at the top of his class however he can get to the rim. Out of all the players coming in, he probably has the most upside because of his frame and athleticism. Basketball just seems to come to him easily and you can't teach that. Can't wait to watch him.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He will go hard to the rim. Cunningham too. We need guys that can go hard to the rim.

Walters, Stevenson and even Pringle have a weak “to the rim” game. Pringle was good with an open lane. But otherwise Rylan and Nelson were our best, and they did very little.

Missed that this year.
Walters got embarrassed a few times trying to drive to the rim. It was almost always swatted back out

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC