Saban talks about internet trolls.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
how about use a reputable source and one that gets straight to the point. Because nothing I said about its origins was incorrect, and its coming straight from the guy who started it.

Arnold discusses origins of Lank

It first came about in 2022, when Arnold and then-backup quarterback Jalen Milroe came up with the notion. Arnold explained the ins and outs with On3’s Andy Staples on Wednesday.

“Came up with it last year in the locker room. We were just sitting around, we were talking. And he was like, ‘Man we need something that’s going to get us going. That’ll just keep us going.’ Obviously Bryce [Young] was the quarterback then. And Bryce, very, very humble. Nonchalant and just as far, never too high, never too low. J-Mil, total opposite. J-Mil, in the locker room, center of attention in there. In player meetings, he’s going to get up, he gone talk, say what’s on his mind,” Arnold said. “So just as far that being, we came up with ‘LANK.’ He was like, ‘Man we gotta really go out here and let these naysayers know because they doubting us.'”

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
how about use a reputable source and one that gets straight to the point. Because nothing I said about its origins was incorrect, and its coming straight from the guy who started it.

It first came about in 2022, when Arnold and then-backup quarterback Jalen Milroe came up with the notion. Arnold explained the ins and outs with On3’s Andy Staples on Wednesday.

“Came up with it last year in the locker room. We were just sitting around, we were talking. And he was like, ‘Man we need something that’s going to get us going. That’ll just keep us going.’ Obviously Bryce [Young] was the quarterback then. And Bryce, very, very humble. Nonchalant and just as far, never too high, never too low. J-Mil, total opposite. J-Mil, in the locker room, center of attention in there. In player meetings, he’s going to get up, he gone talk, say what’s on his mind,” Arnold said. “So just as far that being, we came up with ‘LANK.’ He was like, ‘Man we gotta really go out here and let these naysayers know because they doubting us.'”
Ok, reputable source:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

You don’t say…

This reaffirms my belief that Milroe won the QB1 job in 2023 because it was a popularity contest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok, reputable source:
Again how does that disprove anything I said about it being Arnold’s and Milroe’s motto before the season because people were doubting Alabama without Bryce?

Unless it’s to show benefits of it off the field then it’s not really disproving anything i just said. I’m happy another house came out from it but it still doesn’t change the fact that Milroe and Arnold created it.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
LANK was a success. This team over achieved and served notice to Georgia that their coronation was premature. That's huge to me. We won the best conference in the country and got knocked off in overtime versus a Michigan team built on cheating.

Also, you can't win the NC every year. People who say falling short of that equals failure align with the "naysayers" IMO.
Last years Alabama team was the most talented in the country. Losing 2 games with the most talented team in the country is not overachieving.

I am not saying that it lacked accomplishment, but they did not overachieve.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it's just a modern day version of:
"If you listen too much to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them.”
Brady used external motivation but he rarely let on and never got specific with it. He also did his talking afterwards

But if you look at our Rose Bowl pre game activities we showed up like a team that had arrived. We wanted to talk about everything the naysayers did and how Michigan were sign stealing and everything under the sun. I get the sense that we cared way too much about dunking on naysayers and less about beating a great fundamental team.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I think he’s talking about us. 😁
Maybe, except for ",,,some guy sits in his basement, probably in his mom’s house, probably in his underwear, probably overweight..." Okay, maybe the underwear part is right.

"I ain't even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife"--Uneasy Rider

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I guess Saban would prefer them not to:

"It amazes me that some guy sits in his basement, probably in his mom’s house, probably in his underwear, probably overweight, and he puts something on the internet and anybody cares about what he thinks," Saban said at the Irondale Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast in Alabama.

"But it would affect our players," Saban said. "And I was constantly trying to get them not to be affected by external factors, what other people think."
I think all of us would like to not be bothered or listen to it, however, it is human nature to care what other people think. We all get defensive or mad if somebody on this board, social media platforms or rumor mill calls you out or even disagrees with you. Saban himself did it in 2015 when he did the "dead and buried, gone, gone" regarding what the media, social media and fans were saying after the Ole Miss loss.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think all of us would like to not be bothered or listen to it, however, it is human nature to care what other people think. We all get defensive or mad if somebody on this board, social media platforms or rumor mill calls you out or even disagrees with you. Saban himself did it in 2015 when he did the "dead and buried, gone, gone" regarding what the media, social media and fans were saying after the Ole Miss loss.
look I get it. Hell I’ve been a part of it myself because we had to play Birmingham and Auburn powerhouses as a mid size city school. However at the same time openly acknowledging someone that has nothing to do with your group or team gives them far more power and relevance than if you never acknowledged them or waited until you accomplished what they said you couldn’t. And when act like they did before and after the Rose Bowl kind of gives them even more relevance too

Reactions: AlexanderFan

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
If they truly care about an opinion of some random poster on the internet then we have far more issues to worry about than snapping the ball and reading defenses. This is why I detest the notion of “LANK”…. Because it ultimately means you are spending way too much time worrying about what people you will probably never meet think over just going to work and kicking someone else’s teeth in.
You think mature people don’t let others on the interwebz rile them up…..

Have you looked at the Quarterback thread on this forum…or the transfer portal thread on this forum that became a quarterback thread…or the multitude of other threads on this forum that have become quarterback threads…or the non-sports board that’s filled with childish banter about political affiliation…

edit…look at the post above mine that popped up while I was creating this post. This isn’t the quarterback thread, is it?

…just sayin’

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You think mature people don’t let others on the interwebz rile them up…..

Have you looked at the Quarterback thread on this forum…or the transfer portal thread on this forum that became a quarterback thread…or the multitude of other threads on this forum that have become quarterback threads…or the non-sports board that’s filled with childish banter about political affiliation…

edit…look at the post above mine that popped up while I was creating this post. This isn’t the quarterback thread, is it?

…just sayin’
They asked James Meredith how he survived his first year at Ole Miss… He said “smiling back at them and never letting them know they were getting to me took all their power away”. Keep in mind James Meredith’s admission to Ole Miss caused riots and forced the 101 Airborne to be deployed to Oxford Mississippi because he was the first African American student to be admitted to Ole Miss. We are talking about a guy that was getting called every name in the book to his face by his peers and professors because of the color of his skin, and he denied all of his naysayers the validation and satisfaction of showing the obvious fear he had because of them. Now we got paid athletes who surf the internet and cry about what previous coaches may or may not have said about them and pitch a fit because they talk a huge game after winning a few big games but it blows up in their faces when someone finally exposes your flaws.

My point is if you want to give naysayers the power then talk about them all the time. But as Shannan Sharpe said “if you are going to talk that game then don’t throw your helmet and boohoo after all the hee heeing youve done when things are good” because acting any differently when you are on bottom is just validating everything the naysayers are saying about you. I think it shows alot more strength in not even acknowledging the noise and talking afterwards. You don’t think Michigan didn’t want to talk about how everyone was constantly calling them cheaters and how they didn’t have the more talented team?

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I rarely visit other sports forums anymore but if you guys think Saban is referencing TF, I'd guess you likely haven't seen how insane some of the other forums are.

:)

FTR, I doubt he's referencing anything specific.
I was on several other forums during the coaching search after Shula was fired. This forum is nothing like those back then.

Reactions: AWRTR

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Last years Alabama team was the most talented in the country. Losing 2 games with the most talented team in the country is not overachieving.

I am not saying that it lacked accomplishment, but they did not overachieve.
That ignores a bunch of factors, not the least of which is that Bama lost a generational quarterback in Bryce Young, who also did not win a national championship, coming into that year. But hey, who am I to stand in the way of folks wanting to belittle the accomplishments of the '23 team?

• Facepalm
Reactions: B1GTide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That ignores a bunch of factors, not the least of which is that Bama lost a generational quarterback in Bryce Young, who also did not win a national championship, coming into that year. But hey, who am I to stand in the way of folks wanting to belittle the accomplishments of the '23 team?
What factors exactly?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah and Michigan won a national championship with JJ McCarthy. Georgia won two with Stetson Bennett.

Ending Georgia’s reign of terror is an accomplishment but let’s stop acting like just because Milroe was the quarterback that suddenly we should forget Alabama had the most talented team in college football history playing them that afternoon in Atlanta.

Latest threads