Saban talks about internet trolls.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
What factors exactly?
As to why it seems unfair to me to categorize last year's team as a failure? I mean, I have to defend this proposition on a Bama board? That's wild to me, but okay.

As I mentioned, losing Bryce should have been a major setback for this team. Instead, we avenged the LSU and Tennessee losses and got ourselves back in the playoff. This and an SEC title were achieved with the coaches seemingly unsure who they wanted to play QB for half the season. I would argue we lacked our usual studs at RB and often played WR by committee. Though the defense seemed better somehow after the departure of Will Anderson, the offensive line was often very frustrating to watch.

Also, as we know, even for the best of teams, luck comes into play as far as winning the title. Sometimes, even the best teams don't win it.

I do understand that at the end of the day, winning and losing is the metric teams are judged by and winning a NC is the ultimate bar we hope to clear. It's just the language I sometimes hear in relation to the '23 team - like they're some kind of failed experiment or big decline from our norm - that irks me.

They accomplished plenty and compare favorably in accomplishments to the teams one and two years prior. It doesn't seem fair to me to ding the team for saying they were going to prove doubters wrong, even if they said it in a different way than we might have chosen. They circled the wagons to both fire themselves up and make a few bucks on the side. Good for them and in most cases, bad for our opponents.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
If not for Kevin Steele last year we lose a few more games. The offense made some plays but the defense carried the team.

I don’t buy the we lost Bryce so that means we automatically overachieved.
5/11 of CNS’s 1st year starting Qbs have won a NC.
1 year starting sec champs under Saban
McElroy
Sims
Coker
Hurts
Tua
Mac
Bryce
Milroe

As you can see winning the sec as a 1st year starter under Saban wasn’t rare it was actually pretty common.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
As to why it seems unfair to me to categorize last year's team as a failure? I mean, I have to defend this proposition on a Bama board? That's wild to me, but okay.

As I mentioned, losing Bryce should have been a major setback for this team. Instead, we avenged the LSU and Tennessee losses and got ourselves back in the playoff. This and an SEC title were achieved with the coaches seemingly unsure who they wanted to play QB for half the season. I would argue we lacked our usual studs at RB and often played WR by committee. Though the defense seemed better somehow after the departure of Will Anderson, the offensive line was often very frustrating to watch.

Also, as we know, even for the best of teams, luck comes into play as far as winning the title. Sometimes, even the best teams don't win it.

I do understand that at the end of the day, winning and losing is the metric teams are judged by and winning a NC is the ultimate bar we hope to clear. It's just the language I sometimes hear in relation to the '23 team - like they're some kind of failed experiment or big decline from our norm - that irks me.

They accomplished plenty and compare favorably in accomplishments to the teams one and two years prior. It doesn't seem fair to me to ding the team for saying they were going to prove doubters wrong, even if they said it in a different way than we might have chosen. They circled the wagons to both fire themselves up and make a few bucks on the side. Good for them and in most cases, bad for our opponents.
Who, immediately after the South Florida game, thought Bama would win out the rest of the regular season, win the SEC against Georgia, and make the playoff? After the Miss St game, I thought they might win out the regular season. But never thought they'd beat Georgia.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You think mature people don’t let others on the interwebz rile them up…..

Have you looked at the Quarterback thread on this forum…or the transfer portal thread on this forum that became a quarterback thread…or the multitude of other threads on this forum that have become quarterback threads…or the non-sports board that’s filled with childish banter about political affiliation…

edit…look at the post above mine that popped up while I was creating this post. This isn’t the quarterback thread, is it?

…just sayin’
Is that apples to apples though?

Just because you have an opinion about our QB situation and you may disagree with other posters/media personalities isn't the same as being a player and letting the media trolls (CNS's terms) get in your head.

I mean, what's a discussion board for if we can't share what we think about football/basketball related things?

I just don't think comparing posters on this board having an opinion to Bama players letting naysayers get to them is the same.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unfortunately, a lot of young people care about what people online think and say. We haven't done a very good job of teaching our kids how to ignore the opinions of those who care nothing about them. For some reason, a lot of young people's self-worth comes from online validation from both people they like and don't like. I guess since I didn't grow up in this type of culture I don't understand.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Unfortunately, a lot of young people care about what people online think and say. We haven't done a very good job of teaching our kids how to ignore the opinions of those who care nothing about them. For some reason, a lot of young people's self-worth comes from online validation from both people they like and don't like. I guess since I didn't grow up in this type of culture I don't understand.
You’re absolutely right. LANK wouldn’t exist, otherwise.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
If you want to make $10+ million as a coach and $1+ million as a player, you better develop thicker skin. Now that everyone is paid, you're a pro. Act like one.

btw, I'm in my upstairs office, fully dressed, in a house I own. But he's got me on the overweight pejorative.
I think CNS was only concerned with how the trolls' comments affected the players, not himself. I think his "description" of the trolls was just to reinforce to the players that most of the opinions they were so concerned about were from people who wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

I do agree that if you want to make hundreds of thousands of dollars+ as a player then you need to be able to deal with any criticism no matter who/where it's from...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think CNS was only concerned with how the trolls' comments affected the players, not himself. I think his "description" of the trolls was just to reinforce to the players that most of the opinions they were so concerned about were from people who wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

I do agree that if you want to make hundreds of thousands of dollars+ as a player then you need to be able to deal with any criticism no matter who/where it's from...
You only have so much energy to give, and worrying about trolls takes away from becoming better, which in turn feeds the trolls, which in turn causes you to worry about the trolls, which takes away from becoming better, which feeds the trolls……

So yes worrying about outside noise would drive Saban crazy because he’s all about focusing on what you can do to become a better you.

Reactions: REBELZED

Latest threads