Seeking RECIPE: Vinegar Cole Slaw

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I'm looking for the kind that uses no mayonaise. It often appears red, and has an almost pickly or relishy quality to it. Thanks.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
Here is one version.

1 large head cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1 green pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 1/2 cups white vinegar

In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage, carrot, diced green pepper, and diced onion. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients; pour over vegetables and stir well to blend. Refrigerate cole slaw for at least 1 day before serving.

Note: If you want it to be colored red, you just add a little of your favorite BBQ sauce.

[This message has been edited by TideBeliever (edited 06-06-2004).]

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup thin sliced bell pepper
1/4 cup thin sliced red onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot

DRESSING
1/3 cup vinegar
4 tablespoons salad oil
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Pretty much so Jack. There is another one where you cook the dressing and pour it hot over the slaw then refrigerate it but I will have to look it up later.

There is also a ton of variations of what to make the slaw part from. Green cabbage, red cabbage, nappa cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, fennel, apples, celery, white / yellow / red onions and whether to chop the slaw or shred the slaw. With or without celery seeds. Mustard seeds or dry mustard.

I love slaw but boy have I ever seen a lot of bad slaw come out or some restaurant kitchens.

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
These look good;

Slaw

1.1 head cabbage
2.1 carrot
3.1 bell pepper
4.1 onion
5.Put all above ingredients through a food processor or grate up manually
6.heat the following to a boil
1 cup vinegar
2 cups brown sugar
7.pour onto the processed or grated ingredients contained in a large pan and mix
8.add 4 tbs mayonnaise and 4 tbs mustard to the mixture and mix
9.add Tabasco (amount depends on how hot you want the slaw)

Here's my Fried Slaw Recipe.

1 Head of green cabbage
1/2 Head red cabbage
1 Vidalia onion
2 cloves garlic
2-3 large carrots
1 stalk celery heart
2-3 tbsp's Dales Seasoning
2 tbsp's vegetable oil
Pepper to taste
Chop vegetables. Add oil to wok or large frying pan (#12 Iron Skillet). High heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Sauté until onions are sweated and translucent. Add cabbage and Dales. Toss and stir to coat with oil and Dales. Add pepper. Serve it hot.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Thanks.

I made my first effort at pulled pork BBQ. Basically a shoulder cooked at 300 degrees one hour per pound. It turned out pretty good, but I overcooked it because my oven is hotter than advertised The flavor was good, but I kinda see that the only way to cook any big piece of pork is to do it on a grill.

How do I want to do this? Is it easy, or require careful attention? Also, how do I place the meat on the grill? I'm guessing I don't want to put it flat on the grate. I could wrap it in bacon, cook it about halfaway, and then finish it in the oven at about 350 for about 25 mins (good for leg of lamb).

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Back to the pork, I was at 190 degs about halfway through the cooking process, when 160-170 was supposed to be my finishing temp. Doh!

Again, it turned out pretty good, but more like a pot roast and less like BBQ.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
First of all, I recommend that you invest in the temperature sensor/monitor mentioned in the "Brinkmann" link on this web page.

Some suggestions for cooking pulled pork in the oven.
For portions 5 pounds or larger, cut in half about the circumference (not lengthwise).
The night before cooking, massage well with your spice, put in plastic bag and refridgerate.
When ready to cook, rub down with spice again and let rest at room temperature for around 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 210-220 degrees.
Cook for about 11/2 hours per pound per largest piece. (Better to use the tempeture sensor mentioned above).
You can mop with apple juice mixed with some liquid smoke every hour if you want.
When done, remove and let sit for 15 minutes. Take two forks and pull the pork apart. Enjoy!

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
That's almost exactly how I did it. I've concluded my oven runs hotter than advertised. Eh live and learn. Luckily the pork shoulder is only about a buck a pound. Got to love that.

Thanks for the additional recipes.

[This message has been edited by Jack Bourbon (edited 06-12-2004).]

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Jack,is your oven clean? If it is self cleaning hit the button and check the temp again. An oven that hasn't been cleaned in a while will be a little hotter than normal.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Yeah it's very clean. It probably is just mis-calibrated. Didn't know that happened with dirty ovens though.

I was looking around and saw that Emeril (not really my favorite chef) cooks pork butts at 225 degrees. You guys ever try cooking that slowly?

Also, how would you go about cooking a shoulder on the grill? Maybe the trick is to cook it for a couple of hours on the grill and then finish it off in the oven?

Pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon on the grill are the bomb, btw.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.