Bama Game Thread: Super Regionals-Alabama vs Kentucky

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just got home from the game (one of the advantages of living in Tuscaloosa is that that process doesn’t take long ;)).

Umps were a mess today.

The home plate ump was inconsistent. I thought he missed calls both ways — called strikes when they were clearly out of the zone, and balls when they were down the pipe. Got to the point that I was no longer sure I understood the distinction between the two.

But I didn’t think he was biased. Seemed to miss calls for both pitchers about the same.

The third base ump was horrendous, and both of his bad calls went against us. Missed two UK checked swings where wrists clearly flexed. Both should have been strikeouts. The first led directly to a home run a pitch or two later (blessedly a solo), and the second prolonged the 7th inning into more drama than should have been there.

His incompetence could have cost us the game, but fortunately didn’t.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Alabama crowd erupt at an ump the way they did after the miss in he 7th.

Montana needs a day of rest. She didn’t have her best stuff today, and did what she often does — lots of strikeouts (11 today) and the occasional gopher ball (2 today). Hoping we save her for a game I hope isn’t played — Sunday.

Lexi Kilfoyl will be an interesting call. She came on in the SEC Tournament, and clearly wasn’t ready. Looked awful, and Murph had to put Fouts back in to save it.

Then she looked great in the first game of the NCAA Regional, and combined with Goodman for a no-hitter. Since it was a no-hitter, and she was still looking strong, I’m guessing they pulled her because she reached a pre-determined pitch count coming off an injury.

But it was against Alabama State, who had only three total hits in their two games, all by the same player. So I’m not sure how much you can read into that performance.

This is what Murphy gets paid to decide.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just got home from the game (one of the advantages of living in Tuscaloosa is that that process doesn’t take long ;)).

Umps were a mess today.

The home plate ump was inconsistent. I thought he missed calls both ways — called strikes when they were clearly out of the zone, and balls when they were down the pipe. Got to the point that I was no longer sure I understood the distinction between the two.

But I didn’t think he was biased. Seemed to miss calls for both pitchers about the same.

The third base ump was horrendous, and both of his bad calls went against us. Missed two UK checked swings where wrists clearly flexed. Both should have been strikeouts. The first led directly to a home run a pitch or two later (blessedly a solo), and the second prolonged the 7th inning into more drama than should have been there.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Alabama crowd erupt at an ump the way they did after the miss in he 7th.

Montana needs a day of rest. She didn’t have her best stuff today, and did what she often does — lots of strikeouts (11 today) and the occasional gopher ball (2 today). Hoping we save her for a game I hope isn’t played — Sunday.

Lexi Kilfoyl will be an interesting call. She came on in the SEC Tournament, and clearly wasn’t ready. Looked awful, and Murph had to put Fouts back in to save it.

Then she looked great in the first game of the NCAA Regional, and combined with Goodman for a no-hitter. Since it was a no-hitter, and she was still looking strong, I’m guessing they pulled her because she reached a pre-determined pitch count coming off an injury.

But it was against Alabama State, who had only three total hits in their two games, all by the same player. So I’m not sure how much you can read into that performance.

The worst reaction I’ve seen towards an ump at a softball game was when we played Oklahoma in the supers. There was this horrible woman umpire. The crowd nearly came unglued on her several times.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'm sending my best pitcher out there Saturday. I want to end it in two and never have to give Sunday a thought. Murph was faced with this scenario in 2010 when Hawaii visited. Dunn won game 1 8-0 in 5 innings. He threw Morgan in game 2 and we fell behind 7-1, rallied but ultimately lost 8-7. Then lost again in game 3 on a walk-off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 7th.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
One thing I've noticed about Montana is, if she's a little off on one day, she seems to come back with a vengeance in the next game. Whoever goes on the hill, we need to come out with the bats on fire and help out whoever is throwing.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Umps were a mess today.

I would love to get up there for a live game. Looks like a lot of fun.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States

Umps were a mess today.

I agree with you 100% on today. One thing that gets me is some of our fans think that every pitch we throw is a strike and every one they throw is a ball. Im right behind the plate and a pitch is 6 inches off the ground and outside and some yahoos are yelling come on blue.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm sending my best pitcher out there Saturday. I want to end it in two and never have to give Sunday a thought. Murph was faced with this scenario in 2010 when Hawaii visited. Dunn won game 1 8-0 in 5 innings. He threw Morgan in game 2 and we fell behind 7-1, rallied but ultimately lost 8-7. Then lost again in game 3 on a walk-off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 7th.
I disagree. Comparing the two are different circumstances. Hawaii didnt really have much history with us, and the thought process might have been, "We just whipped them so lets see if we can steal one without our ace." It backfired, but it could be justified.

Well here we have a team that will be seeing us for their 6th time in one year, and are 2-3 vs us. If there is one team that has knocked Fouts in her career at Alabama its Kentucky. They are averaging near 3 runs a game vs her. Killfoyl hasnt done much better vs Kentucky but we cant just let them have 3 straight days to time up Fouts and end our season that way. Plus if we want to win bigger games beyond this we need a 2nd arm.

Reactions: Tide Rev

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I disagree. Comparing the two are different circumstances. Hawaii didnt really have much history with us, and the thought process might have been, "We just whipped them so lets see if we can steal one without our ace." It backfired, but it could be justified.

Well here we have a team that will be seeing us for their 6th time in one year, and are 2-3 vs us. If there is one team that has knocked Fouts in her career at Alabama its Kentucky. They are averaging near 3 runs a game vs her. Killfoyl hasnt done much better vs Kentucky but we cant just let them have 3 straight days to time up Fouts and end our season that way. Plus if we want to win bigger games beyond this we need a 2nd arm.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
One could use your analogy to say that by now Fouts should have figured out how to best attack the UK hitters. She's seen them 5 times, been beaten by them twice in come from behind fashion, has she learned anything? Is Kilfoyl really healthy? UT lit her up in the SEC semifinal game. The Alabama State game can't be used as any kind of evaluator. On the flip side, what about our hitters? They've seen plenty of the UK pitcher as Humes is pretty much the only threat they have. It's past time for them to be hitting on a more consistent basis against her.

We have but a handful of games left in the season, I'll be darned if I'm going to be beaten because I didn't have my best available players on the field. I'm not saying my way is the only way or best way, but that's how I'd approach it if I were in Murphy's shoes.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I see everyone’s valid points concerning who to start in the circle. That is why Murph is Paid the big bucks. As long as we win, that is all that matters. However, I’m still perplexed Sarah Cornell has not pitched. She must be hurt is the only thing I can think of as being the reason.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I see everyone’s valid points concerning who to start in the circle. That is why Murph is Paid the big bucks. As long as we win, that is all that matters. However, I’m still perplexed Sarah Cornell has not pitched. She must be hurt is the only thing I can think of as being the reason.
From what I’m hearing it is she can’t stop throwing cookies down the middle.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We've run ourselves into 2 double plays and now called for leaving the base early. Good grief girls, how 'bout a little focus out there...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.