The unintended consequences thread for the soon to be "new format" of CFB

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Starting to think the Longhorn Network was ahead of its time. Won’t be long before the big teams all have a dedicated channel/network to be the exclusive broadcaster of their games.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thought of another unintended consequence of today's insanity: Elimination of men's non-revenue / "Olympic" sports programs. Here's my logic:

Given the money taken up by pay-for-play, exacerbated by the freedom to transfer anywhere at essentially any time (and the ensuing bidding wars for the transfers), there just won't be enough money to go around. So programs will have to start justifying themselves.

Football generates a bunch of money, so it won't be eliminated anywhere. Problem is, it's all men.

That's a problem because Title IX requires that men’s and women’s scholarships be equal in number and value.

So non-revenue women's sports are safe because the colleges need the women's scholarships to offset football eating up 85 on the men’s side.

Now suppose you're a college whose Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money because of pay-for-play. You can't cut football because it's the engine that drives everything. You can't cut women's sports because the feds would be ALL up in your business about a nanosecond after the decision.

So what do you cut?

You cut men's sports that lose money. Which is all of them except football and (sometimes, at some colleges) basketball.

Without a huge injection of sanity, baseball, men's tennis, men's golf, men's track & field, and men's swimming could be looking at the guillotine.

I don't know the male / female scholarship breakout in Adaptive Sports. But given the political sensitivity, I'm guessing the feds would give men's adaptive sports a pass.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Someone is terrible at math. The NCAA is working to settle the suit for $2.7 BB. That is across all college sports. Not sure how that climbs to $300MM per school. Some seriously fuzzy math.

As for the consequences- all of those mentioned in this thread are tied to NIL and the transfer portal, and at some point this will be sorted out through unionization and a CBA.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Navigating this chaos is waaaaaaay above my pay-grade. All I have to offer is perspective from my personal journey through the college football timetable.

I attended The University of Alabama from ‘89-‘93. Prior to my arrival, I was a casual fan. During my four years at UofA, I became a big UofA fan…as well as a fan of College Football.

I have spent the years, since then, watching College Football every Saturday during the fall…..but lately, I’ve only watched Alabama games…..and this past year, not all of them like I used to do.

I don’t care about the sport like I used to, and my level of interest is continually waning. I may watch some Alabama games this coming season, and I may miss some Alabama games this season. I really couldn’t care less. Life’s too short to get all twisted-up in the chaos around me. And this is the same reason that I’ve become apolitical during the past 10 years. Too much drama…too much chaos…

I’ve got better things to do with the time I’ve got left on this crazy rock spinning around that flaming orb.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Someone is terrible at math. The NCAA is working to settle the suit for $2.7 BB. That is across all college sports. Not sure how that climbs to $300MM per school. Some seriously fuzzy math.

As for the consequences- all of those mentioned in this thread are tied to NIL and the transfer portal, and at some point this will be sorted out through unionization and a CBA.
The $300,000,000 per "big school" in damages have been reported by Josh Pate and ESPN. I'm not sure where or who they got that number from but I've read it or heard that number mentioned by the above mentioned the last two days. So who knows?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The $300,000,000 per "big school" in damages have been reported by Josh Pate and ESPN. I'm not sure where or who they got that number from but I've read it or heard that number mentioned by the above mentioned the last two days. So who knows?
Yeah, I am not buying it. I get that it is out there, but it has no basis in reality

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Starting to think the Longhorn Network was ahead of its time. Won’t be long before the big teams all have a dedicated channel/network to be the exclusive broadcaster of their games.
Many will be streaming services with a paywall.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Navigating this chaos is waaaaaaay above my pay-grade. All I have to offer is perspective from my personal journey through the college football timetable.

I attended The University of Alabama from ‘89-‘93. Prior to my arrival, I was a casual fan. During my four years at UofA, I became a big UofA fan…as well as a fan of College Football.

I have spent the years, since then, watching College Football every Saturday during the fall…..but lately, I’ve only watched Alabama games…..and this past year, not all of them like I used to do.

I don’t care about the sport like I used to, and my level of interest is continually waning. I may watch some Alabama games this coming season, and I may miss some Alabama games this season. I really couldn’t care less. Life’s too short to get all twisted-up in the chaos around me. And this is the same reason that I’ve become apolitical during the past 10 years. Too much drama…too much chaos…

I’ve got better things to do with the time I’ve got left on this crazy rock spinning around that flaming orb.
You expressed where I am almost perfectly. I watched all day Saturday. I started at noon and ended after midnight many days. Now I watch Bama and maybe part of a couple of other games. I just don’t care like I used to. Watched several Bama games using dvr. A few years ago I would move heaven and earth to watch live.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I understood it correctly not all schools would be liable for the $300M. Only schools that fell into a certain category or status.
And that would not work if the case settles all future law suits, because all athletes at all schools were harmed.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The number of scholarships in D1 football is cut to 50. Why have the expense of all those guys who will never stay to develop or who will never play for you. Also helps Title IX issue.
Which I think then begs the question of why are universities in the business of professional/semi professional sports? Why the charade of “student athlete” by providing academic support and scholarships? The “team” represents the university’s “brand”, not a byproduct of the university’s academic mission, unless you driving increased enrollment due to brand enhancement by your “mercenaries” playing a given sport.

Yeah, I’m eaten up with cynicism at this point. Don’t tell me there is anything about “student athletes” with the direction this moving so rapidly.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

You're right about someone being bad with numbers. The people terrible at arithmetic -- this stuff doesn't rise to the level of mathematics -- are (1) journalists, and (2) a significant chunk of the general public.

Journalists publish an outlandish number based on all sorts of assumptions that are ridiculously beyond worst-case. Then they multiply that number by however many potential incidents there might be and trumpet the result. A lot of the general public (and often other journalists) accept the beyond-ludicrous result without question and run screaming that the sky is falling.

I agree with the part about the union. Been saying that for some time now. IOW, like it or not, college sports are headed for the professional model.

As much as I dislike the idea of a college players' union, it's better than the chaos we currently have. And most importantly, that structure will stand up in court.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg and B1GTide

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
The pendulum has swung way to far to the left or right to ever go back to where it was. It seems no one has a answer. That being said. if the athletes want to get paid. Then they are no longer an amateur. You might as well make them employees of the university as at will or per diem employee and 1099 them. They have to follow the employee rules of the university. They sign a 1 year non compete contract, if you go to another school you have to sit out the next season. No matter what the sport. You cant use injuries or etc. as a way to circumvent the non-compete.

Its sad as few as 3 years ago I could tell you who all the starters on the team.. Now truth be told I am not follwing like I used to, they have taken all the passion out of the sport for me. I will not pontificate on what is wrong with it we all know and have our own opinions. But if it keeps going the way it is, then Ill have more time to landscape and grill in the future. Pro-Football lite is the same thing as pro. I had soon as read a book that watch Pro football

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
What will happen to small school football programs like U of West Alabama in Livingston? I am alot less interested these days than I use to be. I know if it ever goes to pay per view, I'll go to the golf course instead.

Latest threads