The unintended consequences thread for the soon to be "new format" of CFB

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The number of scholarships in D1 football is cut to 50. Why have the expense of all those guys who will never stay to develop or who will never play for you. Also helps Title IX issue.
I'll go one further - official scholarships for football go away. Players are given NIL money and then have to pay their own tuition from that. They are employees at that point anyway. I got a couple of assistantships way back when I was in school. Money was paid into the account, and it was still my responsibility to make sure tuition got taken care of out of that account. whatever was left I kept as a stipend.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think eventually we'll reach a point where the players are no longer required to attend class as they are 'employees', at which point the sport will fade in popularity. I think most fans love their teams because they represent their school, and if the players are no longer students, but rather 'hired guns', many will lose interest.

I watch Bama football because I love the school and loved my time there. If / when the teams are just 'NFL-lite' , I'll have zero interest, just as I have zero interest in the XFL, USFL, etc. I doubt I'm alone in that and hence my guess that the sport fades in popularity.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think eventually we'll reach a point where the players are no longer required to attend class as they are 'employees', at which point the sport will fade in popularity. I think most fans love their teams because they represent their school, and if the players are no longer students, but rather 'hired guns', many will lose interest.

I watch Bama football because I love the school and loved my time there. If / when the teams are just 'NFL-lite' , I'll have zero interest, just as I have zero interest in the XFL, USFL, etc. I doubt I'm alone in that and hence my guess that the sport fades in popularity.
Isn't that basically what the Ivy League schools were doing a hundred years ago?:unsure:

Things have come full circle, haven't they?:rolleyes:

Reactions: dtgreg

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Thought of another unintended consequence of today's insanity: Elimination of men's non-revenue / "Olympic" sports programs. Here's my logic:

Given the money taken up by pay-for-play, exacerbated by the freedom to transfer anywhere at essentially any time (and the ensuing bidding wars for the transfers), there just won't be enough money to go around. So programs will have to start justifying themselves.

Football generates a bunch of money, so it won't be eliminated anywhere. Problem is, it's all men.

That's a problem because Title IX requires that men’s and women’s scholarships be equal in number and value.

So non-revenue women's sports are safe because the colleges need the women's scholarships to offset football eating up 85 on the men’s side.

Now suppose you're a college whose Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money because of pay-for-play. You can't cut football because it's the engine that drives everything. You can't cut women's sports because the feds would be ALL up in your business about a nanosecond after the decision.

So what do you cut?

You cut men's sports that lose money. Which is all of them except football and (sometimes, at some colleges) basketball.

Without a huge injection of sanity, baseball, men's tennis, men's golf, men's track & field, and men's swimming could be looking at the guillotine.

I don't know the male / female scholarship breakout in Adaptive Sports. But given the political sensitivity, I'm guessing the feds would give men's adaptive sports a pass.
Here's how Sponsorship evolves...

Imagine the Iron Bowl announced as the annual clash between the Awbern Undder Armor Tigers and the Alabama Blue Cross-Blue Shield Crimson Tide at Bryant Saban Liberty Mutual Stadium in Tuscaloosa... :rolleyes: 😖

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Here's where Sponsorship invades...

Imagine the Iron Bowl announced as the annual clash between the Awbern Undder Armor Tigers and the Alabama Blue Cross-Blue Shield Crimson Tide at Bryant Saban Liberty Mutual Stadium in Tuscaloosa... :rolleyes: 😖
Good one. Hadn't thought about that, but you're exactly right.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
There really won't be any reason to require the players to be students if they're fully employed by the university or some financial group associated with the athletic program at the university.

That said, I'd have to see what things look like in the future before I say I wouldn't continue to support the teams at Bama or any other school I've attended.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I can't really say that I cheered for any of the players in the past all that much because they were majoring in something at the school...I cheered for them because they played for the school team.

Reactions: Padreruf

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Here's how Sponsorship evolves...

we already have Bowl games with names like that, we will finally get regular season games we sponsorship names.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The number of scholarships in D1 football is cut to 50. Why have the expense of all those guys who will never stay to develop or who will never play for you. Also helps Title IX issue.
We are already at the point that students with NIL money will lose their scholarships. NIL deals will be configured on their being a student in good standing at the university, and NIL will be discontinued the minute the student enters the portal.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
From my understanding, it goes to past athletes who were kept from capitalizing on their name, image and likeness by the NCAA/schools.
So where does that settlement money come from and who pays it? :unsure:

If at the school level (will filter down to it eventually), it occurred to me that paying players isn't anything new. It's just legal now.

With that said, a lot of those players did receive money. I wonder if a school will bow up and recount how they paid so and so this much money, so that should be deducted.

I think Pat Dye's Ledger would suddenly appear...;)

You just know that $cam will be one of the first ones coming back to claim his.:rolleyes:

Me thinks that awbern would demand a $180K discount on what he will claim.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
and now Snoop Dogg has a bowl game. not even making this up
The guy on JOX thought it was a stroke of genius as Snoop basically brings something for everyone. What a moronic statement. (Exactly why I don't listen regularly.)

Snoop is a slimey individual and I would NOT watch that game for any other reason to watch Bama (hopefully never) or whoever is playing the barn... ;)

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
This all reminds me, and maybe he was truly prophetic and we've come full circle, of Dave Brandon the reviled Michigan Athletic Director who seemingly cared for nothing besides what he wanted and started his tenure with the "if it ain't broke, break it" motto.

I see the game of football that was built over the last century, for better or worse, being shattered in the name money only. Every one of these major changes (exponentially increasing coach pay, NIL, expanded Playoffs, conference realignment) the last 10 years is solely focused on money, and little else. It's all breaking the game of college football, slowly, but surely. Man do I hope I'm wrong.

Latest threads