Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
It will be stuff like this that drives the final nail into my college football fandom coffin. Hey, I understand Brock’s desire to start “somewhere”. But what about your desire to compete? As it now sits, assuming Brailsford is the starter, you’re still “one play away” starting. Some of the greatest lessons I learned and greatest professional improvement was when “I didn’t win”- I lost the contract, I didn’t get the job, I didn’t get the promotion., etc.. All of these were motivation for me to “do better, get better and prove the others wrong”.

Buried three or four deep at the after three years is one thing. More power to you. Your football career is slipping away. Go where you can maximize the opportunity to enjoy that last few years. But bailing when you aren’t really certain about Brailsford’s status (yeah we know what we’ve heard but the guy still didn’t play a snap in the spring) just seems ridiculous.

Like many here, true college football fans will grow weary of this crap. If players don’t care about the University and fan bases associated with those institutions, then why should the students, alumni or fans? The uniqueness about the game was that “different level of connection”. True fans will walk, leaving it to those that truly don’t care about this uniqueness. They will care only about being “entertained” for a few hours on Saturday.

I know I’m already detaching. I’m becoming less and less interested in who Alabama is recruiting (because commitment and signing means little to nothing now) and portal movement. I still want to see Alabama win each every Saturday, but if they don’t it will get dumped quickly into the “oh well” bucket. And for me, getting to this realization is sad.
In general I typically agree with a lot of why you are saying, but I’m so sure on this one. In fact all things considered I really don’t blame the guy for transferring in this case. The guy has been in the program for 3 years I believe, so he has put in his time so to speak. But looking at it from his perspective, he has been in the program….and he did have a good spring from what I’ve read…So no, he isn’t exactly buried on the depth chart; and at a minimum he would serve as a primary backup with a chance to start. However if you look at things from his perspective I could see why he might be a little frustrated with the situation. Not only is his primary competition a guy that transferred into the program having already played for the new head coach…..the guy wasn’t able to participate in spring drills for whatever the reason was…. So Brockmeyer could be thinking that if he wasn’t able to earn the starting role coming out of the spring then there’s a good chance that he probably won’t be the starter come fall. Taking into account just how much work these guys put in, I really don’t blame the guy for wanting to get more playing time for what will likely be the last couple of years of his football career.

• Thank You
Reactions: JDCrimson and oskie

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I don't think cadence would cause a center to center the ball on the ground.
I think you would be wrong in that assumption. The center more than anyone pre-snap is sitting on go so to speak while waiting on their queue to snap the ball. Take into account that the center has to make and communicate pre-snap reads, that’s a lot going on….especially when all of that is taking place with a 300 pound nose guard lined up across from you. If the center isn’t able to get into some type of rhythm with his qb’s cadence and is somewhat guessing on when he will have to make the snap…. I could see that causing some issues. I played center all of my football career and never had any issues with getting the snaps except for a short time during my sophomore year; but from that point on getting the snap right was always in the back of my mind. It can absolutely get in your head.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Here are my thoughts on this.

1. Brailsford is a "known commodity" as far as CKD and the staff are concerned.

2. Even though Brailsford didn't practice this spring, they consider him as a potential starter. Therefore, they couldn't assure Brock that he would be the starter.

3. Brock feels like he's running out of time and needs to go somewhere where he can be the starter and build his resume for the NFL.

4. I think Brock went to CKD and they said there are no guarantees he will be the starter. In fact, there is a good chance he won't be the starter. Not that they are sold on Brailsford, just that they can't guarantee Brock will be the starter.

5. Loop back to #3.

It hurts our depth at Center, and elsewhere in the OL, but I understand Brock's decision. I hope it works out for him.

I'm also glad CKD was up front and honest regarding his playing time, rather than making promises he might break in the fall.

Now it's time to identify who else on the OL can play Center and coach him up so that we have some depth at that position.
What did CKD tell Brock? I don't recall seeing that. Is there a link or video?

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
We don't know what conversations the coaches had with Brockermeyer. The fact is Brailsford was the anchor of a Joe Moore award winning offensive line. He was named to the All-Pac-12 second team and first team Freshman All-America. Brockermeyer has never started a game. He only had 37 offensive snaps during his three years at Alabama. Do you think it is possible that Brockermeyer concluded he might not start since Brailsford was resuming workouts in the summer?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
We don't know what conversations the coaches had with Brockermeyer. The fact is Brailsford was the anchor of a Joe Moore award winning offensive line. He was named to the All-Pac-12 second team and first team Freshman All-America. Brockermeyer has never started a game. He only had 37 offensive snaps during his three years at Alabama. Do you think it is possible that Brockermeyer concluded he might not start since Brailsford was resuming workouts in the summer?
The fact he put a "no contact" on it is what gives me pause. It's like he already had a deal going, or knew where he wanted to go. Isn't he a grad transfer? Maybe brother convinced him to come to Texas for his last year. But then, maybe CKD made it clear to him he may not start. We just don't know. But regardless, I wish him well.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Coach: Maybe that is okay. It will help him find a sport he is really good at.
Parent: he's worked too hard not to play
Coach: he's missed 3 practices and you've told me he's at basketball practice
Parent: are you going to play him more, if not he's not coming (on the last day)
Coach: he'll continue to play his role as a pinch runner and pitch if necessary

Parent proceeds to message other parents...in a grand gesture to all....that their child will not be there anymore.

Reactions: Con and CrimSonami

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Parent: he's worked too hard not to play
Coach: he's missed 3 practices and you've told me he's at basketball practice
Parent: are you going to play him more, if not he's not coming (on the last day)
Coach: he'll continue to play his role as a pinch runner and pitch if necessary

Parent proceeds to message other parents...in a grand gesture to all....that their child will not be there anymore.
Yeah, similar but the reasons for absence varied and don't mention lack of interest and effort. That'll really set some of 'em off.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Well, Saban basically admitted to tampering last night so we probably shouldn't really judge 😂😂😂
Yeah I was saying this for past several years. Everyone and I mean everyone was “technically” tampering with the evolution of NIL and the transfer portal. Every school was using intermediaries and third parties to get feelers on players at other schools. As long as you put layers between the school and the player, and the collectives, you were fine.

Iowa got dinged because a coach was in direct contact with Procter. FSU got dinged because a coach set up the meeting with the collective and took the player to meet with them.

Bama was doing it too. But we were making sure to put “separation” between the player and those associated with university.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Yeah I was saying this for past several years. Everyone and I mean everyone was “technically” tampering with the evolution of NIL and the transfer portal. Every school was using intermediaries and third parties to get feelers on players at other schools. As long as you put layers between the school and the player, and the collectives, you were fine.

Iowa got dinged because a coach was in direct contact with Procter. FSU got dinged because a coach set up the meeting with the collective and took the player to meet with them.

Bama was doing it too. But we were making sure to put “separation” between the player and those associated with university.
You're exactly right. I'll add this: in the day in which we live now, all you have to do is ask Koolaid and Terrion to hit up some DB on whatever social media platform and get a relationship started. Lots of these guys know each other from camps, 7 on 7, etc. Not hard to put out feelers these days. RTR

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You're exactly right. I'll add this: in the day in which we live now, all you have to do is ask Koolaid and Terrion to hit up some DB on whatever social media platform and get a relationship started. Lots of these guys know each other from camps, 7 on 7, etc. Not hard to put out feelers these days. RTR
I heard Pat Smith a few weeks ago on Three Man Front (WJOX) state that NIL only brought to the surface what had been going on for years. Only thing it really did was bring to light the bidding wars that went on and it “raised the ceiling” what it takes to get to player.

Basically there was a “gentleman’s agreement” on what you could do to get a player (dollar wise) particularly among the coaches in the conference.

I guess when Pat Dye made the comment on the Finebaum Show years ago about Albert Means getting $200k to sign with Alabama as being “quarterback money”, it wasn’t so tongue in cheek.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Not really sure I get pursuing another linebacker. We seem to have talent 3-4 deep in that group. I do understand that there's a lot of fluidity these days and things may not be as they seem.

Quandarrius Robinson – R-Sr.
Jihaad Campbell – Jr.
Jeremiah Alexander – R-So.
Deontae Lawson – Sr.
Justin Jefferson – Sr.
Keanu Koht – R-Jr.
Keon Keeley – R-Fr.
Yhonzae Pierre – R-Fr.
Cayden Jones – Fr.
Noah Carter – Fr.
Qua Russaw – R-Fr.
Jayshawn Ross – Fr.
QB Reese – Fr.
Sterling Dixon – Fr.
Justin Okoronkwo – Fr.

Only issue is 9 freshmen out of 15 guys. We seem to have that problem in several position groups. Perhaps a future with fewer freshmen signees and more experience from the transfer portal?

Starting to wonder how much this staff values spring practice since this guy opted not to come in January and we also have the Brailsford/Brockermeyer mystery.

Here's another theory about the center position: Brailsford was held out, mostly, to focus on the academic issues. The staff wanted to spend the entire spring evaluating other guys to see if they would be contributors, either long or short term. This was their first real chance to evaluate the guys they haven't coached before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.