Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

some_al_fan

Scout Team
Jan 14, 2024
You can request out of a NLI and usually get it so its not much better.

Oregon seems to be the destination fwiw.
Yeah, looks like it is because of the new Alabama scheme, that he does not like: https://highschool.athlonsports.com...n-peyton-woodyard-to-transfer-to-oregon-ducks

------
During his initial recruitment, Woodyard and his family heavily discussed Saban's defensive scheme as a critical part of the equation, a hybrid defense that often utilizes a fifth defensive back.

Given that Alabama is transitioning its defense along with its head coach, it stands to reason Woodyard is looking for a similar on-field scheme fit.

That's Oregon, which runs a quarters match look frequently, an ideal system for the freshman defensive back
------

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I remember when Bama signed Javier Arenas some people were upset because they had never heard of him and he wasn't highly ranked. At first, I felt the same way. I watched his high school film and thought this guy can play. He turned out alright. Years ago, Southern Miss had some very good teams with some outstanding players. I wondered why some of them had not gone to Bama. In most cases, Bama didn't want them. They were underweight, not tall enough, and not highly rated, but the So. Miss coaches saw potential and developed it. The ratings can be beneficial in evaluating players, but they don't tell the whole story. Each year there are players who are 5* who never pan out. We need to trust the coaches and their evaluations.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I remember when Bama signed Javier Arenas some people were upset because they had never heard of him and he wasn't highly ranked. At first, I felt the same way. I watched his high school film and thought this guy can play. He turned out alright. Years ago, Southern Miss had some very good teams with some outstanding players. I wondered why some of them had not gone to Bama. In most cases, Bama didn't want them. They were underweight, not tall enough, and not highly rated, but the So. Miss coaches saw potential and developed it. The ratings can be beneficial in evaluating players, but they don't tell the whole story. Each year there are players who are 5* who never pan out. We need to trust the coaches and their evaluations.
You're right. Southern Miss used to give us fits every year. 😎

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, looks like it is because of the new Alabama scheme, that he does not like: https://highschool.athlonsports.com...n-peyton-woodyard-to-transfer-to-oregon-ducks

------
During his initial recruitment, Woodyard and his family heavily discussed Saban's defensive scheme as a critical part of the equation, a hybrid defense that often utilizes a fifth defensive back.

Given that Alabama is transitioning its defense along with its head coach, it stands to reason Woodyard is looking for a similar on-field scheme fit.

That's Oregon, which runs a quarters match look frequently, an ideal system for the freshman defensive back
------

well, the new scheme runs a 5th DB just as much as Saban did. I think it might have something to do with Red Morgan stepping up and getting reps ahead of Woodyard as a change in system.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
No idea what his ranking was in high school but woods is a 2 year starter on a very good defense last year and played really well against Washington's offense especially. From a protal perspective he will be a great addition and will likley start for us.
I hope so. From what I've read, he has a great DB skill set, except he lacks speed. That's probably why the 3* rating. Hopefully he's improved his speed since he was clocked.

Reactions: Redwood Forrest

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I just read (well, skimmed over) a Dennis Dodd article about Kaden Proctor coming back to Alabama. Welcome home Kaden. I think you well do very well this time. It is on CBS Collage FB site. I would post the link, but I am sure it has already been discussed.

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We've been hit hard at every position but WR and DB are the worst.

WR/TE: 8 out and 2 In

DB: 8 out and 2 In

Overall we've had 38 players Transfer Out and 12 Transfer In.
That's somewhat misleading. We were over scholarship limit after December signing day. I think Alabama has 3-5 spots left. I think WR spots are in good shape. Just need to add one more at OL and 2 more at CB and we're okay.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
That's somewhat misleading. We were over scholarship limit after December signing day. I think Alabama has 3-5 spots left. I think WR spots are in good shape. Just need to add one more at OL and 2 more at CB and we're okay.
I believe the portal closes at midnight tonight, so we better hurry up and get some people.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Well I mean those are the numbers. 38 Out and 12 In

Sure maybe we were over a few spots but we've still had way more guys bolt than come in.

Even if I remove the NR guys it's a pretty big difference.

31 Out and 10 In (3-Star or Higher)

We've just flat lost a bunch of players with talent everywhere.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I saw an interview with CKD a couple of weeks ago. When asked specifically about the portal, he said he would like to add another OL and another CB. Beyond that, he's looking for guys who won't necessarily be starters, but who can provide depth and develop into starters in a year or two.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well I mean those are the numbers. 38 Out and 12 In

Sure maybe we were over a few spots but we've still had way more guys bolt than come in.

Even if I remove the NR guys it's a pretty big difference.

31 Out and 10 In (3-Star or Higher)

We've just flat lost a bunch of players with talent everywhere.
Yeah, I looked at it and that outgoing list is a whole lot longer than the incoming list.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Once a player is in their second year of college football their HS rankings (IMO) are completely irrelevant. Those rankings are for current status coming out of HS, it's accuracy for future status is very loosely translated and many times are inaccurate. There are a lot of four and five-star players that once they get into their college career do not live up to the hype of their ranking. It doesn't mean they "sucked" or had a bad career, but they didn't make the impact their HS recruiting profile projected.

Latest threads