Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Baylor OL enters portal. I bring it up because Coach Cap was the OL coach at Baylor for a couple of months and may know something.

While the Portal is closed for Players leaving, it is open to players coming. We should aggressively recruit some of the guys in the Portal. We might find that 'Diamond In The Rough'.

some_al_fan

Scout Team
Jan 14, 2024
While the Portal is closed for Players leaving, it is open to players coming. We should aggressively recruit some of the guys in the Portal. We might find that 'Diamond In The Rough'.
As reported above in the thread, we have only 2 open scholarship spots (don’t remember either that number was reported before or after Mitchell announcement).
With 3 visitors this weekend, hopefully, we will fill both spots.

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
We are. Have 3 visitors om campus this weekend.

But we are likely done at OL. The staff clearly wants to sure up secondary depth.

Hopefully we are done with it for the year after Monday.

Reactions: Con and Tidelines

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So that's four set to visit. Three going on now, and one next week? What if all four want to commit, and there's only 2 scholarships available? 🤷🏼‍♂️
hypothetical question - as I don't know the answer.

since scholarships are year-to-year based, would it be possible for some of the guys with big NIL deals to pay their own way and then open up a scholarship for someone who needs it - i.e. not as high of an NIL player, but someone we really need for depth purposes. In state is about 12k a year now (sucks to write that, that was almost 6 years worth of tuition when I attended), so it's not cheap, but if a guy has a 6 figure plus NIL deal, and he's getting all his food an nutrition as part of the program (I think even walk-ons get the team nutrition) it's not out of the realm of possibility...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
hypothetical question - as I don't know the answer.

since scholarships are year-to-year based, would it be possible for some of the guys with big NIL deals to pay their own way and then open up a scholarship for someone who needs it - i.e. not as high of an NIL player, but someone we really need for depth purposes. In state is about 12k a year now (sucks to write that, that was almost 6 years worth of tuition when I attended), so it's not cheap, but if a guy has a 6 figure plus NIL deal, and he's getting all his food an nutrition as part of the program (I think even walk-ons get the team nutrition) it's not out of the realm of possibility...
From my understanding the answer is yes and no. Yes its possible, but doesn't often happen.

Even before NIL its been possible but if you recruited a player and they play a down for your team in their first two years they require a scholarship. Thats why PWOs have to sit two years unless they get put on scholarship. Same if you're on an academic scholarship and something like the bryant scholarship you still count against the 85 total.

Now with NIL and how that would work, I honestly don't know. Would probably require someone who knows more about the inner workings of an athletic dept.

All this won't matter in about a year or two. Ncaa is looking to remove scholarship limits in all sports, and instead just have roster limits and allow teams to have as many scholarships as they do roster spots as long as they can afford it. Something that baseball has needed.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
So that's four set to visit. Three going on now, and one next week? What if all four want to commit, and there's only 2 scholarships available? 🤷🏼‍♂️
The staff will take who they feel we need most and I have no idea who that'll be.

fwiw they are much higher on jacobs than many fans are and if we don't get him he probably goes to auburn. Ironic considering aubs reaction to us going after him in the first place.

Update: jacobs rescheduled his visit for next weekend. So just mack and Jones this weekend. Other than several of our high school recruits.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Update: I shared the wrong post. This is regarding the IOL from MSU, geno VanDeMark.

Seems to be a lot of smoke around this guy. Has played center and would provide experience there. Oklahoma seems to b favored but i keep hearing bama mentioned. Hasn't visited yet and wouldn't start over booker or roberts or brailsford so until we here hes scheduled a visit I wouldn't expect anything.

I also heard travis reier indicate that we may have 3 spots available instead of 2. So maybe Jones plus two other guys. We will find out I guess.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Seems to be a lot of smoke around this guy. Has played center and would provide experience there. Oklahoma seems to b favored but i keep hearing bama mentioned. Hasn't visited yet and wouldn't start over booker or roberts or brailsford so until we here hes scheduled a visit I wouldn't expect anything.

I also heard tarvis reier indicate that we may have 3 spots available instead of 2. So maybe Jones plus two other guys. We will find out I guess.
What about the other Mich St OL, Geno VanDeMark? JessN seemed to think we have a good chance.

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

Latest threads