News Article: Trump vs. DeSantis Poll

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How can anybody vote for a president who just negotiated with a rogue state/terrorist?

Before anybody thinks this is me siding with either Trump or DeSantis, it is not. I will be voting for "other" in the election. DeSantis, Trump and Biden are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to run this country and we need to demand better not settle for "eh, at least he's not the other guy."
Look, I'm a center right conservative and as far from a liberal Democrat as you can get.

And I voted for Biden because there were two candidates in the race and one of them was (and is) absolutely insane - and by the way, BIDEN was the more CONSERVATIVE candidate in that race on economics, too. Trump has no coherent ideology beyond whatever he's mad about right now. (That was not true of, say, Ford, Reagan, or the Bushes or McCain).

And I'm old enough to remember "New Yorker" writer Elizabeth Drew saying (in 1988) that EVERY administration comes to office saying they won't negotiate with terrorists - and every administration winds up finding circumstances under which they will...short of selling arms to them (she was drawing a contrast between Bush and Dukakis).

As far as economic illiterates: Congress is a REPRESENTATIVE BODY of the USA, which means about 10% of them are geniuses, 10% are dumber than a post, and the other 80% are somewhere in between.

If you had a Congress of 435 geniuses, you wouldn't have a representative body of the USA (or anywhere).

Reactions: 92tide

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
As far as economic illiterates: Congress is a REPRESENTATIVE BODY of the USA, which means about 10% of them are geniuses, 10% are dumber than a post, and the other 80% are somewhere in between.

If you had a Congress of 435 geniuses, you wouldn't have a representative body of the USA (or anywhere).
I'll be the first to admit that the average and the painfully stupid deserve representation just like everybody else, but I don't see anything wrong with being represented by the more capable. I guess there's something to be said for fighting elitism by having idiots in public office, though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll be the first to admit that the average and the painfully stupid deserve representation just like everybody else, but I don't see anything wrong with being represented by the more capable. I guess there's something to be said for fighting elitism by having idiots in public office, though.
Well, people make the choice, though. We had a deranged lunatic running and 74 million Americans thought he was the better choice in a binary election.

Now MY issue - and a lot of what got us here - is the parties controlling the process as well as ballot access. To even vote in most state primaries, I have to be a member of one of the parties, which I have steadfastly refused to do all my life.

That's not to say that back in the days when the parties met via Convention and tossed out alternatives that all of them were good (Harding anyone?).

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.