What Does the Offense Look Like w/ Milroe as the Starter?

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Never been one to get on hear and bash players or coaches, BUT, JM is not the problem, BOB is the problem. He was totally pathetic Saturday.
I agree with this. I have less confidence in BOB designing a game plan and calling a game around JMs skill set than I do in JM being able to execute such a plan. BOB appears to be the type that prides himself on doing things his way…everyone else be damned kind of person.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I agree with this. I have less confidence in BOB designing a game plan and calling around JMs skill set than I do in JM being able to execute such a plan. BOB appears to be the type that prides himself on doing things his way…everyone else be damned kind of person.
As @TideEngineer08 said - any success we have this year will not be due to BOB. It will be in spite of him.
We are going to go only as far offensively as Young and Gibbs can carry us.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Anyone who thinks this offense is primarily the product of Bill O'Brien simply has not been paying attention the last 15+ years. This is Nick Saban's offense that is tailored to his desires for the program by him, for the year through him and tailored further by the game through him. Not saying that O'Brien has no effect or can't do better but this is Saban's O. Jalen Milroe's inability, much understandable, to make the proper reads was the primary problem. The OC called a 30-10 game, the players turned it into a 24-20 game. Saban said today that the players have to properly execute the plays that are called. This was after he looked at the film.

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone who thinks this offense is primarily the product of Bill O'Brien simply has not been paying attention the last 15+ years. This is Nick Saban's offense that is tailored to his desires for the program by him, for the year through him and tailored further by the game through him. Not saying that O'Brien has no effect or can't do better but this is Saban's O. Jalen Milroe's inability, much understandable, to make the proper reads was the primary problem. The OC called a 30-10 game, the players turned it into a 24-20 game. Saban said today that the players have to properly execute the plays that are called. This was after he looked at the film.
So without the turnovers and missed field goals we score 6 more points? I'm not crazy about his play-calling, but it should have been about 42-10 or 45-10 without the turnovers and missed field goals.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I hear what you are saying and I do agree with what you are saying to an extent. However, I don't remember as many of these types of concerns when Lane or Sark were running the offense. I'm not saying that those guys didn't have a blind spot or two, but at the same time our offenses under both of them looked to be generally more in sync than what we have seen under BOB. I could be completely wrong, but it just seemed to me that the offenses under both Lane and Sark (especially Sark) seemed to be able to work their way into a rhythm during most games, whereas I don't feel like the offense under BOB does. The Texas game is a good example. We came out looking pretty good the first couple of drives but then we seemed to sort of lose our rhythm for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. BOB is not as bad as some make him out to be but he's also a step down from some of our last couple of OCs...at least in my opinion.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
As @TideEngineer08 said - any success we have this year will not be due to BOB. It will be in spite of him.
We are going to go only as far offensively as Young and Gibbs can carry us.
All these problems were there last year we just had killer WRs and Young to overcome them. A few of us complained, whined and ranted all last year but, he has his defenders. I never liked the hire, still don’t. I don’t think he was very good in the NFL.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think NFL coordinators always adjust to college because the NFL QB's are so much more accurate than the average college player, so with Young he's probably ok, with Milro he didn't really taylor the game well to him. But as is often stated by Saban and this is very true. Execution is key. With the exception of some short yardage stuff every play as drawn up on the blackboard should result in a touchdown or at least a first down, if every block is made. No OC can scheme out of a four turnover game. I don't know the stats but you don't often see a 4 turnover game result in a "W"

Reactions: seebell

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Never been one to get on here and bash players or coaches, BUT, JM is not the problem, BOB is the problem. He was totally pathetic Saturday.
Yes BoB is bad. But he didn't fumble twice and then take a sack that moved us further back for a FG try. Right now all I want to do is keep the streak alive by beating UT. Even if it's by just one point.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yes BoB is bad. But he didn't fumble twice and then take a sack that moved us further back for a FG try. Right now all I want to do is keep the streak alive by beating UT. Even if it's by just one point.
I am tired of seeing Milroe getting crap for that sack. It was 3rd and 2 and O'Brien called a drop back pass. Run the ball!

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I am tired of seeing Milroe getting crap for that sack. It was 3rd and 2 and O'Brien called a drop back pass. Run the ball!
That one, yes, was all on BOB. You know your QB is all nerves at that point, he's in his own head, no way in the world he's going to read they have a free blitzer coming.....so we call a drop back and he panics, turns and runs. That was all BOB there. That call rivals the pass inside the 5 after Milroe's long run vs Arkansas and the call on 3rd and 4 to fake a jet sweep but we run up the middle into 8 guys.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Here's the sack of Milroe. Bama has 3 WRs and a TE all bunched up along the line while TAMU has 4 down linemen and 3 more guys standing up on the line of scrimmage.

So it's clear they're bringing pressure. Bama is in a pass formation with 4 pass catchers on the field.

It's 3rd and 2 inside the 20. It doesn't look like running is an option here with the personnel Bama has and the look TAMU is showing. It's pretty clear that Milroe will not have much time to throw. He's got to have someone get open quick.

On the snap TAMU rushes 6 and sends out 4 receivers plus the RB. You've got 6 guys coming and only 5 to block. There are no quick outlets. The WRs are running slow developing crossing routes. Milroe sees that he's got nowhere to throw the ball and promptly runs backwards 10 yards for a sack.

It looks like several people may have screwed up on this play. Maybe the RB screwed up by not staying in the block. If he had stayed in to block he probably picks up the free man and Milroe get the pass off to #80 for a first down. Maybe he didn't read it right. Maybe Milroe didn't read it right. Maybe the center didn't communicate properly. I'm not sure who screwed up, but it was not just a bad play call.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Toddrn

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I still think Bama wins with Milroe.

If he doesn't give the ball away multiple times Bama beats 8&4 easily.
My worry about if Milroe starts is if our offense stalls Tennessee has the type of offense that can start to make our defense tired (QB that has some mobility and throws a good deep ball and they move fast). Would need to have a big game from our DL and LBs to just harass the QB.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My worry about if Milroe starts is if our offense stalls Tennessee has the type of offense that can start to make our defense tired (QB that has some mobility and throws a good deep ball and they move fast). Would need to have a big game from our DL and LBs to just harass the QB.
Sure, but guess what eats time? A running game. Bama is third in the country in rushing at the mid-point of the season.

Also, while fifteenessee can go very fast, they can also go three-and-out very fast.

Bama's D is playing well across the board. Fifteenessee won't move the ball consistently.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Cheetah will take care of their vaunted offensive team. We really do not have much of a choice but to go with Jalen if Bryce can't go. If we lose the game then it is Coach Saban's loss and he knows that. He should be earning his pay this week by makings sure everyone else does what they need to do to get ready for this game. I expect he will.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Cheetah will take care of their vaunted offensive team. We really do not have much of a choice but to go with Jalen if Bryce can't go. If we lose the game then it is Coach Saban's loss and he knows that. He should be earning his pay this week by makings sure everyone else does what they need to do to get ready for this game. I expect he will.
No one wants to lose this game...however, it is better to lose this game and to win next week @ MSU. They are good, will be ready, and are a Western Division foe. We can lose to UT and still be in the SEC Championship game and the CFB playoffs.

That being said...I'm ready for #16-in-a-row!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.