Make Your Case for Our Offensive Philosophy for Next Year and Beyond (Not about QBs)

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Simply put, you have the personnel for a pro-set offense, and a pro-set offense gives you the best chance to leverage ALL of the talent on your roster rather than a small subset of that talent. Literally every player on the field is a threat on every play when running a pro-set offense. Think your offense with AJ at QB.

RPO offenses are for teams with lesser personnel who need to overcome a talent gap with deceit. Alabama has superior talent. At Alabama, the RPO should be an optional play run every once and again, not as an overall offensive philosophy.
I think this assessment nails it. The years we've had a running style QB such as Hurts and Sims, our offense has been inconsistent and didn't appear to ever really have any type of identity. When we played great defenses that were able to neutralize their scrambling abilities, we lost (Ohio State, Clemson, Auburn). I think part of this is because our offensive scheme doesn't fully utilize a running QB like say a Malzahn offense would. Malzahn is able to take a great running QB with below average passing ability and make his offense a real contender. Bama is able to take an average passer like Coker and do the same. I think Bama is at it's best when we have a pro-style QB running a purely pro-set offense to distribute the ball around to all the playmakers. Oddly enough, I think Auburn is undefeated if they have Jalen this season and I think were undefeated if we have Stidham. Bottom line in my opinion, when you play a good defense, your QB has to be able to throw the football 1st and running/scrambling is a distant 2nd.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The motivation behind the forbidden fruit restriction I understand. However, it’s a bit like, “Discuss the theologies of Judaism and Christianity, but don’t bring Jesus into it.”

This year’s offensive philosophy seems a 21st century evolution of the single wing. Among current Alabama QBs, Jalen is uniquely suited to running it. Commit to a pro style attack, and leaving for the moment the essential leadership aspects of the QB position aside, few if any on this board would argue Jalen is the better passer to run that. So, the scheme would seem to determine the QB; or, perhaps, and more probably, vice versa.

That said, I don’t think the scheme matters as much as the playcalling. Commit to Jalen but don’t call what appears to us armchair OCs as a braindead game yesterday, and more likely than not we’re 12-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The motivation behind the forbidden fruit restriction I understand. However, it’s a bit like, “Discuss the theologies of Judaism and Christianity, but don’t bring Jesus into it.”

This year’s offensive philosophy seems a 21st century evolution of the single wing. Among current Alabama QBs, Jalen is uniquely suited to running it. Commit to a pro style attack, and leaving for the moment the essential leadership aspects of the QB position aside, few if any on this board would argue Jalen is the better passer to run that. So, the scheme would seem to determine the QB; or, perhaps, and more probably, vice versa.

That said, I don’t think the scheme matters as much as the playcalling. Commit to Jalen but don’t call what appears to us armchair OCs as a braindead game yesterday, and more likely than not we’re 12-0.

During the second half of his season, Jake Coker started breaking a few key runs for first downs because defenses were covering receivers and RBs but not him. I could see us utilizing the skills of a running QB that can pass the same way it worked for Coker. The difference is, if it had been Hurts or Tua on those runs instead of Coker the plays may have resulted in more than just a first down.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
If you're gonna run a pro-set offense, with a pro-set offensive coordinator, then do what pro-set teams do: learn to pass block and throw the ball!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If you're gonna run a pro-set offense, with a pro-set offensive coordinator, then do what pro-set teams do: learn to pass block and throw the ball!
Therein is the current problem. We are trying to do two different things and not either one well.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Pro-set, no question. You can go huddle for tempo, and you can milk the clock. The only choice to make the best use of our skills players.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Pro-set, no question. You can go huddle for tempo, and you can milk the clock. The only choice to make the best use of our skills players.

. . . no huddle for tempo

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Pro set, with coaches and personnel that have the grey matter between their ears to understand, and use it.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The RPO can be exciting, but I have always been of the opinion that football tends towards different skill sets at different positions for a reason. We have RBs to run the ball. The QB's primary job is to run the offense on the field and distribute the ball to the skill positions. It's great if the QB has the wheels to make something out of a busted play or to turn a sack into a huge gain. But his job in our modern game is not to run the football like a RB. There is a reason Hurts broke the school rushing record for a QB over two QBs who played in the 30s and 40s. I think some version of a single back pro set offense is the best utilization of our talent and always will be. It can have HUNH and spread elements. But our offense should not revolve around the running ability of the QB. We have 5 other backs who specialize in just that.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Let me ask a rather simple question. What kind of offense does Oklahoma State run? I think most will say some variant of the spread, not the RPO version. It seems they always have a very talented QB, decent running game and always good receivers. Their problem as usual is they do not play defense. Their QBs always seems to have a strong arm, very accurate and can run enough to pose a threat, not a run first QB. I would also say while their talent level is no where near ours, they do have someone who can coach QBs.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Let me ask a rather simple question. What kind of offense does Oklahoma State run? I think most will say some variant of the spread, not the RPO version. It seems they always have a very talented QB, decent running game and always good receivers. Their problem as usual is they do not play defense. Their QBs always seems to have a strong arm, very accurate and can run enough to pose a threat, not a run first QB. I would also say while their talent level is no where near ours, they do have someone who can coach QBs.
Have they played against even one competent defense yet? The only decent defense in all the Big 12 is TCU, who beat them.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think our style is fine, just not some choices that are made strategically. I think the reasoning is obvious over the past 4 games.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Personally I'd like to stick with the pro set. A team can still run tempo running a pro style offense. A team can still sprinkle in designed QB runs in a pro set. I'd just prefer it not be our QB running 17 times in a game. The pro set allows for all the talent to be used and we've got talent galore at the skilled positions. I'm afraid if we continue having our QB be the lion's share of our offense it will have trickle down into recruiting and begin to hurt us at the WR and RB position.

I will add this though. It doesn't matter what offense we're running. The inconsistency at the LOS has to be fixed, regardless of what style offense we run. Our offensive line hasn't been the same since the Notre Dame national title game. I want to get back to having physical, nasty offensive lines. If we would have simply had that Saturday and ran the exact same plays, we would have won. Keep in mind, Auburn beat us with three players on offense. THREE PLAYERS!!!! All because their OL controlled the LOS for most of the game. It begins and ends there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.