If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Not looking for "Drain the Swamp, MAGA"! or "Impeach Trump!" type replies. My wife's grandfather (RIP) was a die hard repub. and spent many years as a lobbyist for the beef industry and as congressiona aid to representative Buchannan out of Birmingham. I asked him before he passed what he would do to fix Washington. He replied, "get the d___ lobbyist out of town."...and as I said, he was a long time lobbyist.

I tend to think that would be a big improvement, but I think my 1 change would be term limits for all federally elected officials. Get rid of career politicians. Thoughts?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Term limits to include all members of the House of Representatives, Senate, and the Supreme Court. Age limits for all of the above, 35-70 no exceptions.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Well, the one "Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure" thing is void the Constitution. :)

That aside, I don't know if there's one thing you could do. I'd probably pick - You can only serve as a Rep, Senator, Veep, or POTUS for a total of X years, with the minimum age being 55 or 60. That would at least mitigate the careerists.

Also, I've always liked the idea of having politicians wears sponsor patches like the NASCAR guys do. :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Term limits to include all members of the House of Representatives, Senate, and the Supreme Court. Age limits for all of the above, 35-70 no exceptions.
Well I think the military says nobody older than 64...why not keep it simple and just do it like the military? :D

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well I think the military says nobody older than 64...why not keep it simple and just do it like the military? :D

I am totally opposed to this since it smacks of age discrimination; I could however get behind 35-65.:wink: Another issue which I am sure someone will get around to, is compensation.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I am totally opposed to this since it smacks of discrimination; I could however get behind 35-65. Another issue which I am sure someone will get around to, is compensation.
Compared to what they parlay their position into, the current compensation is peanuts.

Interesting answers. I think people would just Grover Cleveland around the term limits, so I think lobbyists should go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Make the Presidential election be based on the popular vote and do away with the electoral college system, which would go a long way towards addressing our problem of being ruled by an aggressive minority.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Term limits for everyone.

Require that bills / laws be written in such a way that they can fit on a single piece of paper and can be easily understood without a law degree.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My first though was a tactical non-nuclear strike on DC, but too much collteral damage. So the next best thing would be an open season with no limits on all lobbyists. :rolleyes:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
...Require that bills / laws be written in such a way that they can fit on a single piece of paper and can be easily understood without a law degree.
This is an awesome idea. One unintended repercussion of term limits might be that if a selfish politician ( a little redundant?) knew he only had, say, 6 years to make as much money and side deals as possible, then they would be even slimier than they are now. At least now they pretend to be worried about getting voted out of office if they screw up too royally...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Was just googling and found the following. It’s for the 115th Congress but don’t imagine it’s changed a lot. 194 reps and 44 senators list public service/politics as their occupation

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
term limits: max 16 yrs of 'public service' for all elected and appointed officials. make it easier to fire bureaucrats (in any govt agency) deemed as not meeting expectations of their respective federal govt job....and make it so those folks cant 'agency hop' from one federal agency to another

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would become dictator so I could make all the changes I want.

A more serious answer would be to rewrite the Constitution

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Require that anyone seeking public office may not increase their net worth beyond their earnings from the office they seek. No investments etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.