SEC unanimously votes to extend membership invitations to Texas, Oklahoma

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Those 3 loses in the Coach Bryant era are tough. We should have won each game and likely did win the '65 Orange Bowl. Instant replay probably gives Namath the TD near the end of the game. But even the two Cotton Bowls, I think we led late.
The 1965 Orange Bowl was an outright robbery. I think Tommy Nobis of Texas even said one time that Joe made it over the goal line.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
True but i don't want to lose the lsu rivalry.
It’s not terribly important to me. It was never a premier game before Coach Saban. And LSU fans never even considered it a rivalry until then, either. But I suspect the conference doesn’t want to lose it on the tv schedule. It has generally been good for the SEC, but again, how much of that is the Saban Factor?

From the conference’s perspective, would it matter if it were replaced by an annual LSU vs Oklahoma game on the West, and an annual Alabama vs Florida game on the East?

From the fans perspective, I suspect most are like you and don’t want to lose the game, but fans don’t drive these decisions.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I've had a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself over the division and subsequent schedule changes. It will be what it will be (btw, Yahweh in the OT means that -- I am who I am or I will be who I will be -- draw your own conclusions!) Whatever comes down the pike will be tough and challenging...fair is not in the SEC vocabulary book. My desire to "hold onto past rivalries" is not a priority item for the SEC. I do think we will play AU and UT, regardless of where we are placed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It’s not terribly important to me. It was never a premier game before Coach Saban. And LSU fans never even considered it a rivalry until then, either. But I suspect the conference doesn’t want to lose it on the tv schedule. It has generally been good for the SEC, but again, how much of that is the Saban Factor?

From the conference’s perspective, would it matter if it were replaced by an annual LSU vs Oklahoma game on the West, and an annual Alabama vs Florida game on the East?

From the fans perspective, I suspect most are like you and don’t want to lose the game, but fans don’t drive these decisions.
Alabama-LSU really isn’t as big of a rivalry as many think. Yeah it’s been a tough game the last 10-15 years but traditionally has just outright owned them. We have only lost once since CNS came in BR and we went nearly 20 years without losing there. Tennessee and Auburn are far more important rivalries.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I've heard some concern from some A&M fans I work with that they fear UT will come in and try to control the SEC like they did the Big 12................I dont think the SEC will allow that to happen

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've heard some concern from some A&M fans I work with that they fear UT will come in and try to control the SEC like they did the Big 12................I dont think the SEC will allow that to happen
i expect the SEC to tell them, "Sit down and shut up, Junior. Win a dozen national championships and then we'll listen to some of what you have to say. Until then, just shut your irrelevant piehole."
I mean, for Pete's sake, Vandy has more SEC championships than Tejas.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Have you ever heard the phrase “Sit down and Shut Up?”…..

UTx hasn’t ever…..but they’re about to…..and they’re not going to like it…..and they will surely throw a little tantrum!!! But ya know what else they’re going to do after they get up off the floor, straighten their collar, and wipe the alligator tears out of their eyes?

They‘re going to “Sit down and Shut Up!!!”

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Those 3 loses in the Coach Bryant era are tough. We should have won each game and likely did win the '65 Orange Bowl. Instant replay probably gives Namath the TD near the end of the game. But even the two Cotton Bowls, I think we led late.
If instant replay was in effect Bama would have won the 1972 season Cotton Bowl. Alan Lowery stepped out of bounds around the 29 yard line late on a 34 yard TD run. I think his entire foot was out of bounds.

Bama is 1-0 vs Texas in the last 40 years, in the only game that has really mattered in the series. The '64 season (Namath on one leg)/Nobis game was after the polls were closed.

Btw, when Texas enters the league Vandy will be happy that they then will have a member over whom they have a winning record: an ancient 8-3-1 :). So too are UTx's wins vs Bama - ancient.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.