UCLA and USC WILL Join the B1G in 2024

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The powers that be in the Big 12 must be seething. The rest of the Pac !2 suddenly available and they just added scraps from the AAC and BYU. That's hilarious!
Give them a little bit of credit, though not much. There was the notion going around of them adding 4 more like Boise State, Memphis, San Diego State, and I don't know, Colorado State or some other such nonsense. At least they did not do that, and could now theoretically reach out to the Arizona schools.

The new Big 12, sans Texas/OU, probably commands a higher TV payout than what the Pac 12 will be without USC.

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
ACC TV rights have been granted until 2037.
South Carolina will earn twice as much as Clemson by 2026.

Watch the ACC exodus…

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Give them a little bit of credit, though not much. There was the notion going around of them adding 4 more like Boise State, Memphis, San Diego State, and I don't know, Colorado State or some other such nonsense. At least they did not do that, and could now theoretically reach out to the Arizona schools.

The new Big 12, sans Texas/OU, probably commands a higher TV payout than what the Pac 12 will be without USC.
Now 3 of those (Boise, Colorado St., and San Diego St.) are the only realistic possibilities for the PAC 12. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more PAC 12 teams leave either. If Coloradodoes not go to the Big 10 I could see them going back to the Big 12 along with Arizona, Arizona St, and Utah.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
With the Big 12 adding the 2nd largest TV market, the SEC almost HAS to make a play for North Carolina and Virginia. Why not Notre Dame? At this point it's all out war with between the SEC and Big 12.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This move would make the rest of the west coast virtually irrelevant.

With the Big 12 adding the 2nd largest TV market, the SEC almost HAS to make a play for North Carolina and Virginia. Why not Notre Dame? At this point it's all out war with between the SEC and Big 12.
Some people seemed to think that the SEC could kind of go at it on their own, but I don't see that as happening. This move though could carve up things well enough that it actually makes things easier for the SEC. USC was going to stay relevant, but you didn't want all the baggage of the other programs in the west coast.

Now I would agree that the biggest players would be Notre Dame, and there could be somewhat of a battle over control of North Carolina and Virginia. Thing is, after this move the two conferences don't really have to do anything. They can just kind of sit around while the other conferences die on the vine. This kills the alliance is what it really does... and the alliance wasn't particularly good for the SEC.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This move would make the rest of the west coast virtually irrelevant.

Some people seemed to think that the SEC could kind of go at it on their own, but I don't see that as happening. This move though could carve up things well enough that it actually makes things easier for the SEC. USC was going to stay relevant, but you didn't want all the baggage of the other programs in the west coast.

Now I would agree that the biggest players would be Notre Dame, and there could be somewhat of a battle over control of North Carolina and Virginia. Thing is, after this move the two conferences don't really have to do anything. They can just kind of sit around while the other conferences die on the vine. This kills the alliance is what it really does... and the alliance wasn't particularly good for the SEC.
I think the "Alliance" was never real. It was all a pathetic poker face by the Big Ten. Or maybe the Pac 12, and the Big Ten was simply patting them on the head and going along with it all the while working this deal in the background.

I do not think it ever had the potential of harming the SEC. Short of a blackballing of the SEC in scheduling, how could it? And that was never going to happen.

This was always the final play or what will lead up to the final play, in response to the SEC's addition of Texas and OU.

IMO, there is really only one domino left to fall. UNC/UVA are compelling due to demographics and all, but the only real prize left is the white whale of them all. Notre Dame.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the "Alliance" was never real. It was all a pathetic poker face by the Big Ten. Or maybe the Pac 12, and the Big Ten was simply patting them on the head and going along with it all the while working this deal in the background.

I do not think it ever had the potential of harming the SEC. Short of a blackballing of the SEC in scheduling, how could it? And that was never going to happen.

This was always the final play or what will lead up to the final play, in response to the SEC's addition of Texas and OU.

IMO, there is really only one domino left to fall. UNC/UVA are compelling due to demographics and all, but the only real prize left is the white whale of them all. Notre Dame.
UNA and UNC are mostly because of their other than football fan bases and markets.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Those November/December road games in the cold/windy or snowy conditions will really suit those West Coast teams! Should be fun to watch

• Haha
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Well, the main thing about the alliance is that if it stuck together, it could have kept the SEC from kind if going at it on their own. Some people overstated what the SEC could do on their own, but the SEC was still limited regionally.

The alliance had the west coast (notably USC), the north (Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame), and also enough southern schools to be kind of pesky (North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, FSU, and Miami for instance). The SEC just was giving up too much territory to really go head to head politically. In theory the alliance could have kind of given themselves most of the seats at the playoff so on so forth. I really didn't like the idea of three conferences sitting around thinking of ways to undermine the SEC.

So, I am glad that eventuality seems off the table. If it's really just the SEC and the B1G calling the shots, then both those conferences can pick the bones of the other conferences and the odds of just having two super conferences when it's all said and done go up quite a bit. This is good for the SEC and the Big 10 but bad for everyone else.

Anyway, the issue moving forward would be the ACC and grant of rights. My understanding is that Notre Dame is also tied up in this. This deal runs through 2035 and the only thing that could possibly break it up would be if a majority of ACC schools defect. So, something like 8 ACC schools.

I have trouble coming up with 8 that sound enticing at all though, I like North Carolina and Virginia. NC State and Virginia Tech are consolation prizes to me. Past that I'm not sure you really concern yourself with any of the programs, they are fairly redundant (though I would say that FSU and Clemson could in theory be more enticing to the Big 10 as they increase their footprint).

This will be interesting to watch. I just hope the SEC doesn't feel like their hand is forced because at the moment it doesn't seem to be. The SEC doesn't need Clemson. They don't need FSU. I'm honestly not sure how they could get North Carolina or Notre Dame but those seem really huge. Notre Dame for obvious reasons but North Carolina is big to because it lies between the Big 10 and the SEC and it's arguably the most valuable ACC program.

If the ACC grant of rights things hold the pressure will mount over time, I don't see the ACC as well positioned for this NIL stuff either (despite Miami's spending). So we could just watch as they become slowly less relevant and their football powers seem less powerful.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Big 12 is potentially looking to add Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah: Report.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, the main thing about the alliance is that if it stuck together, it could have kept the SEC from kind if going at it on their own. Some people overstated what the SEC could do on their own, but the SEC was still limited regionally.

The alliance had the west coast (notably USC), the north (Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame), and also enough southern schools to be kind of pesky (North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, FSU, and Miami for instance). The SEC just was giving up too much territory to really go head to head politically. In theory the alliance could have kind of given themselves most of the seats at the playoff so on so forth. I really didn't like the idea of three conferences sitting around thinking of ways to undermine the SEC.

So, I am glad that eventuality seems off the table. If it's really just the SEC and the B1G calling the shots, then both those conferences can pick the bones of the other conferences and the odds of just having two super conferences when it's all said and done go up quite a bit. This is good for the SEC and the Big 10 but bad for everyone else.

Anyway, the issue moving forward would be the ACC and grant of rights. My understanding is that Notre Dame is also tied up in this. This deal runs through 2035 and the only thing that could possibly break it up would be if a majority of ACC schools defect. So, something like 8 ACC schools.

I have trouble coming up with 8 that sound enticing at all though, I like North Carolina and Virginia. NC State and Virginia Tech are consolation prizes to me. Past that I'm not sure you really concern yourself with any of the programs, they are fairly redundant (though I would say that FSU and Clemson could in theory be more enticing to the Big 10 as they increase their footprint).

This will be interesting to watch. I just hope the SEC doesn't feel like their hand is forced because at the moment it doesn't seem to be. The SEC doesn't need Clemson. They don't need FSU. I'm honestly not sure how they could get North Carolina or Notre Dame but those seem really huge. Notre Dame for obvious reasons but North Carolina is big to because it lies between the Big 10 and the SEC and it's arguably the most valuable ACC program.

If the ACC grant of rights things hold the pressure will mount over time, I don't see the ACC as well positioned for this NIL stuff either (despite Miami's spending). So we could just watch as they become slowly less relevant and their football powers seem less powerful.
I don’t see contracts holding up anything. Remember the ACC imploding helps ESPN tremendously by getting them out of a bad deal and allowing bigger games for the SEC. Especially if Notre Dame goes to the SEC. There will be back channeled deals and this thing will get sorted out quickly. There isn’t much money preventing an implosion like there was in the Big XII.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.