OC and DC replacement discussion

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's very possible that the constant involvement of the boosters down there could make him strongly consider Tuscaloosa anyways...:cool:
Yeah, it's an interesting situation. Having seen how it works in T-town with CNS's full control and non-meddling, he could be very objective about it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
As to things that pertaining to Jeremy Pruitt, no he doesn’t have a “show cause” at present. UT has received its NOA from the NCAA but a show cause for Pruitt or others involved would not handed down until the final ruling is delivered. That said, you can just about bet the mortgage one is coming. JP is radioactive right now. I can’t see any scenario where he lands even as an analyst right now.

in terms of length, most times the “show cause tag” is one to five years, depending on the severity of the situation/sanctions. As example, Pearl was hit with three years for his recruiting violations and lying to the NCAA. Kelvin Sampson was tagged with five years.

Given a program at UT hit with 18 allegations of level 1 violations, Pruitt is probably staring at a 3-5 year show cause.
Welp, that pretty much sums it up for Pruitt. NFL guy for a while.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As to things that pertaining to Jeremy Pruitt, no he doesn’t have a “show cause” at present. UT has received its NOA from the NCAA but a show cause for Pruitt or others involved would not handed down until the final ruling is delivered. That said, you can just about bet the mortgage one is coming. JP is radioactive right now. I can’t see any scenario where he lands even as an analyst right now.

in terms of length, most times the “show cause tag” is one to five years, depending on the severity of the situation/sanctions. As example, Pearl was hit with three years for his recruiting violations and lying to the NCAA. Kelvin Sampson was tagged with five years.

Given a program at UT hit with 18 allegations of level 1 violations, Pruitt is probably staring at a 3-5 year show cause.
Welp, that pretty much sums it up for Pruitt. NFL guy for a while.
Yeah, don't see how CNS risk what might seem the instant reward of JP's defensive DC against the program's NCAA standing.

If there's one thing CNS is known for it's avoiding major issues with the NCAA.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
One guy I'd be very interested in DC who is also probably very unrealistic because he may stay in the NFL is Phil Snow.

Idk how easily he would be able to merge with Saban's defensive philosophy but that dude can coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One guy I'd be very interested in DC who is also probably very unrealistic because he may stay in the NFL is Phil Snow.

Idk how easily he would be able to merge with Saban's defensive philosophy but that dude can coach.
Not knowing/understanding the intricacies of what could be done on defense VS. CNS's methods I'm intrigued by some new ideas.

Would he be willing to have a DC a had some differing philosophies? What would CNS have to relent on (philosophy wise) and what are some different schemes/ideas a new, fresh DC might bring?

Reactions: bamaltc and The Ols

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not knowing/understanding the intricacies of what could be done on defense VS. CNS's methods I'm intrigued by some new ideas.

Would he be willing to have a DC a had some differing philosophies? What would CNS have to relent on (philosophy wise) and what are some different schemes/ideas a new, fresh DC might bring?
I wish I understood defense better. It's always been the part of football I wish I had more information about.

I do know under Golding we have moved more to a 3-3-5 which is what Snow has also been running more recently I believe.

I don't know enough about secondary play to know if they have wildly different philosophies or not. I understand our secondary pattern matching for the most part but can't find any good information on how Snow runs is secondary.

Lucky Jack

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Definitely Riley as OC would be my first call. Young, innovative play caller. If not him then definitely Phil Longo

As far as DC, my first call would be to Glenn Schumann. He graduated from here and was here for 8 years (last 2 as Director of Player Development and Associate Director of Player Personnel). Co-DC at Georgia now, and if that doesn't work, kick tires on Jim Leonhard and see if he's interested in moving south
I get the idea of making Leonhard say no, but he's probably the favorite to take over Wisconsin full time after the season. It would be hard to get him to leave his alma mate for a coordinator position.

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005
Replace Golding with Kevin Steele. As for OC....shoot...I'd take back Dave Radar at this point. Radar actually did call better offense (at times) when he thought outside of his "Darby up the middle" box
I vaguely remember Rader saying that every offensive snap would result in a touchdown if executed correctly, kind of get the feeling that our current staff is calling it the same way, didn't work then and it's not working now.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I don't know who the best candidates are for OC/DC, but it would need to be someone with a good reputation as far as being one at the Power 5 college level.

Also, it would need to be someone who the players respect and trust.

He would need to know that he will be working 12-15 hour days and would probably not see his family much for 2 years except during the short off time the coaches get.

Reactions: Tidelines

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It really shows that tv broadcast and color guys are seriously just talking heads. The first half of Auburn - MSU, the MSU DC Arnett was “the boy genius” - was stifling the Auburn offense. Then suddenly in the second half they couldn’t stop Auburn. So anyone these folks talk about as an “up and comer” take that with a great big grain of salt.
Personally I like what Jeff Lebby had done under Kiffin (to a lesser extent at Oklahoma) as an OC. I think Willy Korn does a very good job at Coastal Carolina.
What’s not to like about Schumann at UGA? Could we get him? Big question. Another young guy I like is Blake Baker at Mizzou. Doing a lot more with a lot less. Plus he’s familiar with the SEC having coached some at LSU. I read where he just got an extension at Missouri though.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
You have to find some guys who are hungry wanting to cut their teeth toward a bigger opportunity. Retread HCs and former NFL guys are not the solution. Frankly, I think G5 and FCS coaches are a better solution. The rules are the same, recruiting is the life blood, and they are used to doing more with less.

For example, Todd Monken went 13-25 in 3 seasonal as HC at USM...

Reactions: Tide Rev

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I haven’t read all these pages, but I will say that Pruitt is unhireable and coach Boom is not coming to work for Saban. Bank on that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.