BREAKING NCAA proposes new rules for college football in 2023

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Man I don’t like that 1st down rule.

Games will go by too fast and it will really shorten the amount of plays that get run.

Also teams that are based around running the ball can purposely shorten the game against better opponents.

Offensive records are going to be safe for a while if that passes.
Teams that play 12 regular season games, a championship game, and 3 rounds of playoffs will appreciate it :D

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I like all the proposed changes. The first down rule takes at least a little bit of the air out of “basketball on grass,” which I hate. Puts at least some emphasis back on a sound running game.

Basketball on grass won’t truly end until the OL downfield rule goes back to the NFL’s 1 yard. But I fear that ship has sailed for the college game — it’s the only thing that allows about 2/3 of teams to have at least a puncher’s chance against better talent.

No problem with the elimination of untimed downs at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Like the rule against two consecutive time outs. Icing the kicker with multiple time-outs gets tedious.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I fully agree. Playing time will be shortened, but the TV coverage time will expand to increase the commercials IMHO.
If you want to be bored, watch a golf tournament on NBC. They only cover about the top 3-4 golfers and then mostly putting. Every hour of coverage includes at least 20 minutes of advertising.
TV does not exist to entertain us..it exists to sell us something...even if we are already paying for the privilege of viewing via cable or streaming fees.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you want to be bored, watch a golf tournament on NBC. They only cover about the top 3-4 golfers and then mostly putting. Every hour of coverage includes at least 20 minutes of advertising.
TV does not exist to entertain us..it exists to sell us something...even if we are already paying for the privilege of viewing via cable or streaming fees.

I am not making this up or exaggerating.

In 1988, NBC showed the Summer Olympics from Seoul, South Korea (that's the one where Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis got caught doing illegal drugs but only Johnson got his name besmirched and Lewis acted like the arrogant hypocrite he is) and some reputable TV watchers with their clocks timed the coverage throughout.

For every hour of coverage for which they'd paid billions, NBC showed 26 minutes of actual Olympics and 34 minutes of commercials. One pundit quipped, "It was nice of NBC to give us a break from all those commercials with a real quick sporting event here and there."

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I am not making this up or exaggerating.

In 1988, NBC showed the Summer Olympics from Seoul, South Korea (that's the one where Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis got caught doing illegal drugs but only Johnson got his name besmirched and Lewis acted like the arrogant hypocrite he is) and some reputable TV watchers with their clocks timed the coverage throughout.

For every hour of coverage for which they'd paid billions, NBC showed 26 minutes of actual Olympics and 34 minutes of commercials. One pundit quipped, "It was nice of NBC to give us a break from all those commercials with a real quick sporting event here and there."
Those commercials along with the insufferable and never-ending "life stories" segments, NBC's over-the-top broadcasts, lack of actual event coverage until primetime, and professionalism in most sports make the Olympics unwatchable anymore.

Those commercials along with the insufferable and never-ending "life stories" segments, NBC's over-the-top broadcasts, lack of actual event coverage until primetime, and professionalism in most sports make the Olympics unwatchable anymore.
NBC decided decades ago that they had to market the Olympics to women, who tended not to be sports fans. So, they focused on the two least sports-like sports---gymnastics in the summer and figure skating in the winter---and a lot of soap opera-like human interest stories.

(Not that gymnasts and figure skaters aren't great athletes. But judge-based competitions are inherently less sporting than those where a clock or a scoreboard determine the winner.)

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Like the rule against two consecutive time outs. Icing the kicker with multiple time-outs gets tedious.
As I noted above - coaches should not get to call the timeout a nanosecond before the ball is snapped on the late game/game-ending FG.

True story: it took 24 full minutes off the real world clock to play the final minute of the first half of the 1981 Alabama-Penn State game. I have that game on DVD and it is UNBELIEVABLE how long it took.

As I noted above - coaches should not get to call the timeout a nanosecond before the ball is snapped on the late game/game-ending FG.

True story: it took 24 full minutes off the real world clock to play the final minute of the first half of the 1981 Alabama-Penn State game. I have that game on DVD and it is UNBELIEVABLE how long it took.
YouTube has a 45-minute clip. I probably watched it live but don't remember for sure; I had just moved to the state and had only a passing interest. I know I watched the next game, where Bear beat Auburn and got the all-time record of 315 games. (We played Penn State in the week before the Iron Bowl---my, how times have changed!)

Reactions: Con

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Since this game was brought up I'd just like to let everyone know if they are interested in seeing the sequel to "The Goal Line Stand" then watch this game since it might be just as impressive as the original with the Bama defense stuffing the Penn State runners 4 consecutive times on the 1 -yard line. I was surprised Paterno tried it again after what happened in the Sugar Bowl but I know he was a very stubborn man who I guess thought history would not repeat itself. It did.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If the NCAA is so concerned about player safety and length of game I'd sure like to know why they made rule changes over the years to encourage so much passing. This has resulted in a lot of injuries to QB's and WR's after taking a lot of nasty hits, along with ridiculous scores with both teams in the 40's or 50's. If they made a couple of rule changes to make passing less attractive they'd have less injuries, a shorter game and football scores more in line with historical norms.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.