Another Loss for Gerrymandering

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Pennsylvania GOP leader tells state supreme court he will defy its anti-gerrymandering order

In an audacious move by a political leader who could potentially be held in contempt of court, Pennsylvania Senate President pro tempore Joseph Scarnati (R) informed the state supreme court on Wednesday that he will openly defy one of the court’s recent orders in a gerrymandering case.

On January 22, the state supreme court struck down the state’s gerrymandered congressional maps — maps which enabled the GOP to win 13 of the state’s 18 congressional districts even in years when Democrats won the statewide popular vote. That order explained that the state’s maps must be “composed of compact and contiguous territory” and must not “divide any county, city, incorporated town, borough, township, or ward, except where necessary to ensure equality of population.” It also gave the legislature until February 9 to draw new maps, and the governor until February 15 to approve the maps and submit them to the court for review.

If either deadline is not met, “this Court shall proceed expeditiously to adopt a plan based on the evidentiary record developed in the Commonwealth Court.”

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ugh, this party

Unhappy with new voting map, Pa. Republicans call for state justices to be impeached

Republican lawmakers from Pennsylvania who lost a gerrymandering case before the state's Supreme Court are now calling for justices who issued the ruling to be impeached.

The court ruled this year that the congressional map drawn by Republican legislators in 2011 was a partisan gerrymander that "clearly, plainly, and palpably" violated the state constitution, and the justices ordered the state's legislature and governor to draw a new map.

Shortly thereafter, Republican state Rep. Cris Dush circulated a letter to his colleagues saying the court's majority "engaged in misbehavior in office" because the ruling "overrides the express legislative and executive authority" to create laws.

"Wherefore," Dush concluded, "each is guilty of an impeachable offense warranting removal from office and disqualification to hold any office or trust or profit under this Commonwealth."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
In fairness, both sides certainly do it, although the GOP's abuse is far more widespread at the moment. It's a little frightening that the future of fair political representation in this country rests with a single member of the Supreme Court.
Exactly this. I would love if Dems would just come out against gerrymandering but they haven't. I live in Maryland which is dominated by Dems and is one of the most gerrymandered states in the country.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This is very interesting.

Winner-take-all electoral college system is unconstitutional, say suits led by Boies

Background on the lawsuit: LINK

Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig said:
Almost a year ago, a bunch of us began talking about how to fix an increasingly dangerous flaw in the mechanics of our Republic — the Electoral College. We had just witnessed the second in the last three Presidents get elected without winning the popular vote. It was quickly becoming apparent that this was not a once-in-a-century problem, but an increasingly likely part of our democratic future.

I started reading the work of both lawyers and political scientists who had thought more carefully about this question. They saw something I had missed: The real problem with the College was not the College. The real problem was in the states. The College certainly made our votes unequal. But the real damage from that inequality was produced by the states.

That damage was winner-take-all — the rule that says that the winner of the popular vote gets all of the Electoral College votes. It was because (all but two of) the states allocated their electors in a winner-take-all manner that the real harm of the College was done. Winner-take-all meant that presidential campaigns were focused on a dozen states only; winner-take-all meant that the chance of a minority-elected president was high; and winner-take-all made America vulnerable to the games evil foreign governments might play, to hack our democracy and defeat majority will.

But the point most miss is this: winner-take-all is not part of the Constitution. The states started adopting the method after the Constitution was ratified; many bemoaned that decision from the very start. And while for most of our history, the constitution provided no enforceable principle to check winner-take-all, what this writing showed me was that the most recent decisions by the Supreme Court, applying the “one person, one vote” principle to the “presidential selection process,” gave us a way to get the Court to address this critical question for our democracy — does winner-take-all violate the principle of equality built into the 14th Amendment?

The more I looked, the more I became convinced it did, and more importantly, that we could get a Court to see it. The critical change that made this possible was (ironically) the Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore (2000). Until Bush, structures that rendered voting systems unequal were tested under an “invidiousness” standard — does the rule betray invidious discrimination?—meaning basically, can you show it was adopted for some illicit purpose?

That standard would be hard to meet with winner-take-all (except in the south, where it turns out the standard was adopted in some states for the express purpose of suppressing the influence of African Americans). But in Bush, the Court found the method the Florida Supreme Court had adopted to recount votes violated the one-person, one vote principle, without any finding of invidiousness. If this is the standard now, then winner-take-all is vulnerable.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You may not like the EC, but to argue suddenly that it is unconstitutional is mind-bogglingly stupid, so stupid only a Harvard law professor could advance that argument with a straight face. The constitution left the selection of Electors entirely to the states. Some did so by popular vote. Some had the legislatures picked Electors. No voter ever voted for president in South Carolina until 1876.
Not everything you don't like is unconstitutional.
The place these folks should advance their argument is in the state legislature. Or an amendment to the federal constitution.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Then good thing that's not their argument.
Winner-take-all electoral college system is unconstitutional, say suits led by Boies
My bad. When the author wrote, "unconstitutional" I thought she meant "unconstitutional."
The EC was part of the compromise between the big states and the small states in the constitutional convention. In exchange for small state ratification, the small states got a slight bump in their say in electing president.
If you don't want the Democrats to get all the electoral votes for California, go to Sacramento and get a bill passed to split it however California wants.

I'll tell you what does violate the Constitution: a Federal judge taking a case over which the Federal government has no jurisdiction. LULAC's 1st amendment and 14th Amendment gambits are spurious.
What they are doing is saying, in effect, "we don't like the Constitution, but we cant win the argument in the more democratic branches of government, so we want the unelected and unaccountable branch of the federal government to simply declare us the winner without having to win the argument."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My bad. When the author wrote, "unconstitutional" I thought she meant "unconstitutional."
I didn't take you as someone who only read headlines, but I'll note this for the future.

The EC was part of the compromise between the big states and the small states in the constitutional convention. In exchange for small state ratification, the small states got a slight bump in their say in electing president.
Irrelevant to their argument. They're explicitly not saying the EC is unconstitutional.

I'll tell you what does violate the Constitution: a Federal judge taking a case over which the Federal government has no jurisdiction.
Are you claiming that federal courts aren't allowed to determine whether state laws violate the constitution?

What they are doing is saying, in effect, "we don't like the Constitution, but we cant win the argument in the more democratic branches of government, so we want the unelected and unaccountable branch of the federal government to simply declare us the winner without having to win the argument."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I didn't take you as someone who only read headlines, but I'll note this for the future.

Irrelevant to their argument. They're explicitly not saying the EC is unconstitutional.
No, but they are arguing that the winner take all suddenly violates the 1st amendment and the 14th amendment.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Charmin...Would you prefer a Maine/Nebraska style method of allocating votes nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
No, but they are arguing that the winner take all suddenly violates the 1st amendment and the 14th amendment.

Wow, are you really that dim or do you just play dim on the internet?
I’m going with dim. iMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My reply was ungentlemanly. Apologies.

Now, for the argument. I never said I did not read the article. I did. The plaintiffs in these cases are not going to Federal court asking the court to declare "winner takes all" in the EC to be a bad idea or bad policy but let it stand. They are going to federal courts asking federal judges to declare the states' decisions on "winner takes all" for EC votes to be declared unconstitutional and thrown out on that basis.
Where would a federal judge get the authority to over-rule a state's decision on how to allocate votes in the electoral college? By citing the Constitution, as approved by the people of the United States..
The Constitution has two main characteristics: it is amendable and, in its current form, it has the approval of the people of the United States. It also has a separation of powers between legislative, executive and judicial and much more importantly, between state and federal spheres. The Founders delegated enumerated powers to the Federal government and declared that every other power that was not prohibited to the states or the people was retained by the states or the people.
Part of gaining that approval of the Constitution required a compromise between large states and small states in 1787. Large states wanted seats in the House to be based on population and small states wanted seats in the Senate to be allocated equally by states. Another compromise material to the agreement was that the allocation of votes in the electoral college would equal the number of representatives and Senators combined. This gives small state voters a bit more weight in presidential elections. It could be argued that this is not fair, but it is certainly not unconstitutional. It is a material provision of the Constitution and part of the compromises necessary to secure its ratification.
This concession was essential to getting the small states like Delaware and South Carolina to agree to join this Union. If the federal government overturns a material condition of the original agreement, maybe we should release the small states to renegotiate the entire deal.
The states, as they delegated powers to the new federal government, spent a lot more time arguing over the extent of the delegated powers. Opponents arguing against ratification because the federal government would loosely interpret the limits of its powers and advocates of ratification assuring them that this would not happen.
Citing the "freedom of speech" clause of the I Amendment and the "Equal Protection" clause of the XIV to overturn is a ludicrous argument. It ought to be laughed out of court. Nobody's speech is limited by a state with a "winner takes all" EC allocation. And all people in the state receive the equal protection of the laws, whether the state employs "winner takes all" or proportional allocation of Electors. "Winner takes all" existed at the time of the ratification of the I Amendment and the XIV, and nobody at the time reacted by saying, "Great. Now we can get rid of the 'winner-takes-all allocation of the states' Electors" because nobody believed that was what they were doing. People making that argument today are searching for a plausible lie to hang their argument on and they are violating federalism to do it.
Too frequently federal judges act as if they are independent of, and superior to, the provisions of the Constitution. That takes the federal judiciary from being the "least dangerous branch of government" and turns it into the most dangerous branch of government. They are unelected, unaccountable and have lifetime tenure. I'd feel a lot better about the power of the federal judiciary if they would acknowledge that some things are beyond their jurisdiction. How states allocate their Electors is a fairly obvious one, but I'm going to predict that several federal judges will take this case and may render decisions that do further damage to the X Amendment of the Constitution.

And none of that is an argument against proportional allocation of EC voters. If California wants to adopt some proportional allocation (with rounding going to the candidate that won the states), there is not a legitimate power under heaven that can tell California it cannot do so. Even a federal judge.

* In 2016, California conglomerated 257,847 voters for each Elector. In NY it was 266,257. In Montana, 165,716 and in Delaware it was 147,938. https://transition.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2016/2016presgeresults.pdf

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Another key redistricting case goes in front of high court

The Supreme Court has already heard a major case about political line-drawing that has the potential to reshape American politics. Now, before even deciding that one, the court is taking up another similar case.

The arguments justices will hear Wednesday in the second case, a Republican challenge to a Democratic-leaning congressional district in Maryland, could offer fresh clues to what they are thinking about partisan gerrymandering, an increasingly hot topic before courts.

Decisions in the Maryland case and the earlier one from Wisconsin are expected by late June.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The EC has outlived its usefulness. One man, one vote (aka person)
So if we ban the EC, isn’t it logical to ban Congress as well? Because on legislation votes, wouldn’t the same arguments apply? I mean, if 51% of the voters in a red district are in support of a law, it’s worth one vote in Congress, but if 99% of the voters are against it in a blue one, it still only counts as one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.