UCF Knights - The People's Champion (National Championship Parade)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
These guys didn't even have the forethought to Boise State their schedule. Boise State would play one, and just one good team in the regular season and then if they beat them and mowed through the rest of their cupcake schedule they would brag about how awesome they were. The problem is UCF scheduled teams like Austin Peay, but the best team on their schedule was Memphis. So, if you compared them pre-bowl games, they were 0-0 against top 30 teams according to Sagarin, while Alabama and Georgia were both 3-1.

Had they played a couple of good teams, had they been 2-0 against the top 30 coming into the post season, at least then they'd have been part of the conversation. But, it's like a European basketball team winning one exhibition game and declaring themselves NBA champions. This isn't a one game season.
They were supposed to play Georgia Tech, but the game was cancelled because of the hurricanes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They were supposed to play Georgia Tech, but the game was cancelled because of the hurricanes.
Fair point, but would Georgia Tech have done anything meaningful to bolster their resume (still would have been 0-0 against top 30)? They also played Maryland, but they can't just schedule 2 relatively soft Power 5 teams and say we're done. Not if they actually want to gain respect and catch the attention of the committee. I just don't like them wanting to have their cupcakes and eat them to.

I did look at the schedule before, but I wanted to make sure I got what happened. They cancelled GT and Maine, and replaced them with Austin Peay. So their original OOC schedule was FIU, GT, Maryland, and Maine. That's not even as good as Alabama's occasionally maligned OOC schedule, and certainly not good enough to atone for playing in the AAC. I get it's not that easy to schedule some tough matchups, but you don't schedule FIU, Maryland, and Maine if you are trying to gain a lot of respect. You'd at least try to line up programs like Boise St., and if South Alabama can get home and homes with teams like Miss. St. and Oklahoma St., I think it would be pretty easy for a team playing in Orlando to line up a strong OOC schedule.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
Fair point, but would Georgia Tech have done anything meaningful to bolster their resume (still would have been 0-0 against top 30)? They also played Maryland, but they can't just schedule 2 relatively soft Power 5 teams and say we're done. Not if they actually want to gain respect and catch the attention of the committee. I just don't like them wanting to have their cupcakes and eat them to.

I did look at the schedule before, but I wanted to make sure I got what happened. They cancelled GT and Maine, and replaced them with Austin Peay. So their original OOC schedule was FIU, GT, Maryland, and Maine. That's not even as good as Alabama's occasionally maligned OOC schedule, and certainly not good enough to atone for playing in the AAC. I get it's not that easy to schedule some tough matchups, but you don't schedule FIU, Maryland, and Maine if you are trying to gain a lot of respect. You'd at least try to line up programs like Boise St., and if South Alabama can get home and homes with teams like Miss. St. and Oklahoma St., I think it would be pretty easy for a team playing in Orlando to line up a strong OOC schedule.
I don’t know how far out their OOC games were scheduled for 2017, but after going winless in 2015, the Baylor Model of scheduling worked pretty well for them. I don’t think they will get enough traction with AP voters to matter anyway. The whole thing is a farce.
I do feel for Josh Heupel. Walking in the shadows of a legendary national championship winning coach will be tough.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To follow up on one thing, UCF's claim of a title was a very tenuous one to say the least. Every other claim of a title that anyone seems to be aware of, was backed by at least one major selector. In UCF's case, it was obviously a bit premature. The only major selector that had UCF at #1 was Peter Wolfe.

Well, the final rankings are out and Wolfe has Alabama at #1. So, there's literally nothing backing up their claim at this point.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If UCF is national champions in their logic, the objection to Alabama as a non-conference champion just lost ALL merit (that it never had).

After all......we just won the SEC championship (using their logic)........

(What they gonna do? Say, 'no, you didn't win the championship game'?)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.